1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Five-star: Dez Bryant still having growing pains

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,391 Messages
    4,351 Likes Received
    Nov 23
    11:15
    AM CT
    By Calvin Watkins

Five-star question: Why does Dez Bryant have only 11 second-half receptions this season?

It's not easy to answer. Dez Bryant is a wonderful talent, called a freak by coaches and teammates. He's able to make plays on the fly and within the structure of the offense. Defenses are able to contain Bryant with double-teams from a variety of players, cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers. It seems Bryant struggles when pressed. He doesn't know how to get free and into his route. It's understandable because he's still a young player. He hasn't played a full NFL season yet due to injury and the lack of practice time and playing time costs him.

The other issue is the Cowboys run the ball more in the second half of games thanks to DeMarco Murray's emergence the last five weeks. If you're running the ball, it means fewer opportunities for Bryant to get involved in the passing attack.

Another interesting point regarding Bryant is the trust level Tony Romo has with two players:

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...star-answer-bryant-still-having-growing-pains
  2. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    (reference to critical OT catch conveniently omitted)
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm critical of certain aspects of Dez but he's been improving the past few games. The kid is humble and hungry; his game is still rounding out. I found it refreshing when I heard him say he's picked up a lot of things in Laurant Robinson's game that he's applying to his own.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Yup ... thats how you build the trust level.

I seriously think Tony and Robinson has clicked so quickly because he runs his routs a lot like Crayton and it makes Tony go to him.
  5. Givincer

Givincer Active Member

1,805 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I've heard Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson attribute it to Bryant not being in good enough shape, which, of course, is utterly ridiculous. :laugh2:
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Dez Bryant is "still a work in progress", go get me another one like him. The guy has been very productive pretty much all year. He has been consistent, and that means something. Also, Bryant does significant damage on his catches. He has 6 TDs. His lines have been impressive, and he's drawing the double teams. Plus,he is making clutch, game winning catches.

Here are Bryant's lines for the year:

3-71-1 (LG 42)

4-63- (LG 30)

3-37-2 (LG 25)

4-78 (LG 33)

5-90-1 (LG 34)

3-28 (LG 11)

4-76 (LG 39)

6-74-1 (LG 34)

3-68-1 (LG 26)

Bryant is averaging 16.7 yards per catch.

With 6 games left and hopefully at least 2 playoff games, Bryant should continue to be extremely explosive and productive with his catches.

Bryant is only averaging 3.5 catches per game, but he is having a significant impact on the games. Austin has missed significant time, and Bryant is drawing double teams.

Also, who did Darelle Revis cover? I think that was the ultimate complement.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great post. Dez Bryant reminds me a lot of Randy Moss. He doesn't have a ton of catches, but he's get a lot of receiving yards. Anyone who says Dez has been a disappointment doesn't know what they're talking about.
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez is a young bronco... They are turning him into a smooth stallion.
  9. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeah. Dez Bryant is getting it done. I just looked at STATS, and check these stats out:

Dez is...

15th in YPC

6th in >25 yard receptions

10th in % of First Downs/Rec

4th in 1st Down Catches on 3rd Down

2nd in Receiving TDs in the First Half
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not too shabby for a second year player and first year starter. :)
  11. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Indeed....

Dez Bryant is an extremely explosive player right now.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Could it be that after getting absolutely roasted in the 1st half, teams double him hard in the 2nd half of games?
  13. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    That was certainly the case when he humiliated Revis. Loss or no that play still brings a smile to my face.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You didn't watch the game did you?

How many passes did he get on Revis?