1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: For cap purposes, Cowboys need a middle class

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 22, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,708 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Apr 22
    3:24
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The keeper of all things salary cap when it comes to the Cowboys, executive vice president Stephen Jones understands the importance of the team hitting on draft picks.

“You can’t continue to go to the well and pay the veteran players the $1 million, the $800,000, the $1.2 million,” Jones said. “We’ve got to do a better job going forward of taking your lumps early, but developing these guys and putting them in your lineup, those $300,000 and $400,000 and $500,000 guys. I think that is the big difference compared to where it was three, four, five years ago when you could get the veteran guys.

"I think obviously, when we start the season, that veteran guy is probably a little more ready to play than the young guy coming out of college. It’s a big jump. But with the cap where it is today, that’s one of the things you’re going to have to focus on is plugging these young guys in regardless of if they’re a third-round pick, a fourth-round pick. We had some injury issues last year that didn’t allow us to do that, but I certainly expect those guys to come along as well as the young guys we’ll pick in the third and fourth and fifth round this year.”

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb.../for-cap-purposes-cowboys-need-a-middle-class
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,045 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    Yes, good idea.

Let's give the young guns a try.

Why are we so shy about letting our young players play???
  3. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,139 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    it would be great to play the young players sooner. the problem is that the middle round guys always seem to get hurt in the offseason workouts and mini camps that they are not able to start training camp and play in preseasons games to see if they can start.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I really don't know what the deal has been lately with all the TC and mini-camp injuries with the young players. It could be bad luck or maybe they tried something different last year and it really backfired on them. I would suspect they had the medical staff, Woicik and training staff going over their programs with a fine tooth comb to try and figure out what happened last year in those disastrous mini-camps.

Mo was the main guy who played a lot last year and he missed all the contact stuff from TC and mini-camps if I remember correctly because he was still recovering from wrist surgery.
  5. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,237 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Dallas in recent years has gotten younger.Its the one thing I like about them.Say what you will we are over the days of holding onto guys too long.