1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Garrett says lack of takeaways doomed Ryan

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,403 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett cited the team's lack of turnovers as the main reason for firing defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

The Cowboys tied for 29th overall with 16 takeaways last season, including being tied for last in the NFL with seven interceptions. The Chicago Bears led the NFL with 44 takeaways.

"We had 16. That's 28 more opportunities with the ball," Garrett told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. "Give me some of those 28 opportunities.

"That's something that we really sat back and thought a lot about, had a lot of discussions about -- what's the best way to try to achieve that, and then, 'OK, you want to do that, now who are the guys who can help implement that?'"

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...n-garrett-says-lack-takeaways-doomed-rob-ryan
  2. wick

wick Active Member

742 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    He's absolutely right. If you rank the problems that prevented this team from being better than it should have been, the turnover disparity is number one. Our pass defense was absolutely atrocious, and the main reason for that was the inability to force turnovers.
  3. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Translation - put pressure on the QB and force him into mistakes by actually rushing Ware and Spencer rather than dropping them into coverage to cover a decoy TE.
  4. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

656 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    this team has always struggle with take aways
  5. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    And what were the giveaways like Jason? How many horrid situations did you put the defense in with your inept first half offensive performances?
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao:

What an arrogant guy this Jason is... I can't believe people swallow his stuff anymore...
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,891 Messages
    4,718 Likes Received
    The TO ratio is, of course, what the real problem has been.

I believe in terms of scoring points/possession, we were a top-10 offense last year. Including the issues we had with RT in pass protection and the early issues with our WR route adjustments. That's not too bad.

I know everyone wants to be mad about the OL and the play calling, but it really all comes down to the giveaways and takeaways.
  8. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,600 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    It's in the article.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,344 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    Not to mention that many of those extra 28 opportunites would mean getting the ball with a short field or getting points directly.

Turnover differential is HUGE. But of course, the offense has to hold up their end too by not giving it up as much.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    He is a politician.

Deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect.
  11. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just as an aside, what was the offenses points accrued on the 16 chances they got, outside Carr falling down at the one yard line...

The problem with Jason is he keeps getting oppurtunities, despite not capitalizing on the oppurtunities given to him... The defense ain't going to get TOs if it can't press, knowing they have to play conservative because your offense can't score 10 points in the first half.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love to know what our rating was in the first half of games last year. Part of our problem was that we never scored more than 10 points in the first half of any game. That isn't on the Defense. That is an offensive problem. Romo inadvertently let it slip what the problem was but no one seemed to catch it or care.

When you are playing from behind and your opponent is playing clock ball, the turnovers don't come as quickly because they don't take risks.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I wish they kept stats on on defensive penalties that lead to opponent first downs on failed 3rd down conversions (ie jumping offsides on 3rd and 4). Those plays are the equivalent to an offensive giveaway.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,370 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    As HC he told you why Ryan was let go. He is arrogant for saying that? You think Dallas then should have kept Ryan even though it is a fact that the defense did not get turnovers.

I agree the offense needs work but the offense over the last 8 games of the season did avg 28 points a game there were some positives taking place.

As HC Garrett is not being arrogant explaining why a move was made, that is just stupid
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,681 Messages
    2,413 Likes Received
    If by "lack of takeaways" , he means Jerry, I agree.
  16. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,432 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I'm sure I'll regret this, but what was that unheeded golden nugget from Romo's lips?
  17. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    HE was asked about the slow starts and why they couldn't seem to score early on. He told the reporter that they had to wait to see what the Defense was doing then in the second half they made adjustments.

That is why Garrett is not the guy to run this offense. It is his job as the HC/OC/playcaller to know what the defense is going to do, exploit their tendencies on defense and score. But he obviously either didn't watch film or didn't know how to break it down.

Either way, THAT is the root of the problem. Our coaching is terrible.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,384 Messages
    2,274 Likes Received
    Agreed.

As the offense and special teams were misfiring for 7 turnovers vs Chicago and Seattle, the defense was creating 1 turnover.

In addition gave Seattle 180+ rushing yards and allowed a rookie QB to go 15 for 20.

There's a reason why Rob Ryan is unemployed.
  19. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    MUST-SEE-COMPARISON:
    The question...Do our coaches fare better creating turnovers when not saddled with Jerry's personnel, micro-managing, and Jones-appointed specialty coaches?

How did Wade Phillips' defense rank in turnovers in Houston?
    2nd in AFC in 2012
    2nd in AFC in 2011

But how did Wade's defense rank when with the Cowboys?
    8th in NFC in 2010
    8th in NFC in 2009
    15th in NFC in 2008
  20. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,432 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Well, I guess that's no longer an issue since Callahan will cure all ills. Romo's statement could be taken two ways: maybe Garrett was just very good at making half-time adjustments.