1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Garrett says lack of takeaways doomed Ryan

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    28 points per game?

I hope you aren't counting the defensive scores from the Philly games.
  2. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    The defense had some good games. Unfortunately a couple of them were completely masked by defensive scores for the other team.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    1 game does not make the entire make up of the avg. I don't disagree the offense need to do things to become consistent in their ability to control the ball but the Cowboys are very capable of moving the ball down the field quickly and putting up points. I think a big reason it reflects this was the emergence of Dez. He really started putting things together and become a bigger factor than he was early in the season.

To gain consistency within the offense then I think you look to the guys up front.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,400 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    True.

But ultimately this defense ended up not meeting a lot of folks expectations and a change of coordinator was enacted.

The same thing happened to the offensive coordinator.
  5. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Well, anyone who had high expectations after the 8th or 9th game when Dallas was calling guys who were sitting at home to fill in for multiple holes likely had unrealistic expectations.

I would agree on the OC part except the amount of time each was given which kind of makes it not the same. It's not like Red was stripped of his duties after the team was 31st in turnovers in 2008.

Honestly, I think there's more to it than TOs alone. If it was TOs, it was completely a knee jerk reaction to what was undoubtedly a rare occurrence. It's not like 16 TOs is the norm. It was Rob's worst season as a coordinator in that regard and he's been on some horrid teams.

A little bit of playing from behind every week, a little bit of bad bounces, and a little bit of simply not getting it done.

I think there were a few factors involved.

It's not like Paul Pasqualoni earned the DC job by leading the defense to 20 turnovers in those 8 games during his interim DC time after Wade was fired.
  6. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Well, Mo had a fumble recovery for a TD in the 2nd game and there was a PR for a TD in the first game as well.

That's what.....1/8th of the points. Works out to being less than 25 per game which is better than what they were doing previously

I would agree with you in that the offense improved and largely it was because of Dez.

And yes, I think improvement up front could provide consistency. Although, I've recently begun to have some doubts on the OL as to if it is actually as bad as the perception is.

After having looked at the Washington OL rankings from lasts year and this year and there being really no difference along the line, I'm curious as to what other factors might be there. They're line play graded out far better this year than it did last year. Granted, they had some injuries last year but they lost their RT for all of this year. The only real positive I can find for this year is that they had the same guys playing in all the games I believe.

I think a large part of their improved play is because they did find a capable RB and a QB who is good.

In that regard, I wonder why Dallas doesn't seem to get a boost from their counterparts at that position. Or maybe Dallas is which is why the OL grades out better than you would really suspect them to do as a unit when you look solely at their individual grades.

Then again, it is PFF and they have Dallas graded higher in run blocking than Washington which pretty much erases any sort of legitimacy to the grade. How the worst running team can have a better grade on the OL than the best running team is a mystery. Not even expected error could account for that.
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,400 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    Oh I think it was more than the lack of turnovers too.

The defense looked confused last year. It look confused this year, even when everyone was healthy.

Rob's system may have been too complicated.

But what disappointed a lot of folks (and maybe Garrett and Jerry also) was the lack of aggressiveness shown by the defense the entire season... with and without the injury situation. Way too many 3-man rushes and soft zones.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    What about the amount of TO's and crappy play all year on offense?

Talk about a disorganized group!

Save face and fire this bum. Why delay the inevitable.
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,400 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    The offensive coordinator was replaced.
  10. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    How aggressive can you afford to be when you are basically trailing after the first quarter of every game?

When you have a lead it's easy to start throwing the kitchen sink out there because you don't risk nearly as much as when you are trailing and a score puts the game into two-score territory.

Could he have been more aggressive at times, sure. Is it likely how the game was playing out altered what he wanted to do, probably. I just think it's a hasty move to fire a guy after 2 seasons when the last season he coached was likely as decimated by injury as can possibly be. I think he deserved another year but that might just be me.

I also question how much leeway he had in trying to spice things up as well. Did he even really run any of that psycho or amoeba stuff he was drawing up in Cleveland? I guess maybe the guys could barely handle lining up as it is so maybe there's no use in trying to ask them to do something unconventional.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

:laugh2:...Jason...just shut up man.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,400 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    I don't think playing more press coverage or using more 4-man pass rushes qualifies as a "devil may care" attitude, it's not exactly "tossing the kitchen sink" at'em.

Part of the reason the team was behind so early and often was due to the defense too.

And again, this defense was very disorganized looking at times, even when healthy.

On top of that was the mindless personal foul penalty that he picked up.

He, in appearance and mannerisms and how the defense looked prior to the snap screamed "disorganized and undisciplined".
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,167 Messages
    6,962 Likes Received
    What's wrong with what he had to say there?
  14. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Jason got fired!! That's what.
  15. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,663 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    You brought up some excellent points on the defense. Maybe Jerry and/or Jason lost patience with Ryan. Not enough results(turnovers/sacks), maybe there was a fallen out, and Ryan was made the scapegoat. Did Jerry look at the past 2 seasons combined, and decided, bottom line, there wasn't enough production? I hope we find out soon what the real reason was behind the firing of Ryan.
  16. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

953 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    So 3 minutes left in the game and the defense gets the skins off the field and gives the offense a chance to score and win the game. Romo throws an interception the first play. That's definitely the D's fault we didn't make the play-offs.
  17. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Thing about ranking it is an over view of the entire season it does not tell you that late in a season a particular unit showed improvement. Washington defense did not rank that high however towards the later part of the season they did show very good improvement. Stats do not tell the whole story why people rely on them as a tell all is foolish.

As for Ryan I hated to see him get fired but as far as I'm concerned he was not aggressive and I hated that 3 man rush. We let team off the hook because we refused to attack when they were in for sure passing situations. Instead we sit there in a 3 man front and allow teams to pick up apart.

I hope like hell Monte Kiffin does not bring that BS to Dallas and based on the work I have seen from him and Rod Marinelli I highly doubt they will sit there on 3rd and long and run 3 man rushes.

I expect more aggression out of Ryan I did not see it. I wish things would have worked out but it didn't.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,847 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    The Cowboys do the same thing every week and then try to adjust off of it at halftime.

We don't do much of anything to exploit a team early in games.

Usually the whole things ends up failing and we rely on our 2 minute offense or Romo making a play with his feet outside of the play that was actually called.

Our play designs don't give us really any advantage.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,847 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    When you're as banged up as we were then it's hard to be aggressive on that side of the ball.

The Monte Kiffin hire was a step in the direction of being less aggressive as well. We're going to be a bend but not break defense and rely on our front 4 to get to the QB.

Basically what we were schematically Pre-Parcells.
  20. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I know but then what about 2011 season? As I said I have seen Kiffin defense and he has has put together some very good units as has Rod Marinelli. I did not see Tampa Bay playing bend but don't break and did not see the Bears defense sitting there. In both cases those defense create turnovers and they do get after the QB.