1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Garrett: Toss to Miles Austin a mistake

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 19, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,439 Messages
    2,296 Likes Received
    Sep 19
    4:53
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett admits that the curious play call to pitch the ball to Miles Austin on the final offensive play of regulation Sunday was a mistake.

“To be honest with you, I don’t like the call,” Garrett said Monday afternoon. “I say it every week, there are about 10 calls in the game that I don’t really like.”

This one could cost the Cowboys their No. 1 receiver for a couple of games.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4683911/garrett-toss-to-miles-austin-a-mistake
  2. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,014 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That and the double reverse early in the game made no sense at all.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,275 Messages
    1,240 Likes Received
    You could always not call them.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett's play calls are baffling at times, that's for sure...
  5. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Second Guessers are in full force and they will continue to grow as usual. Like Garrett said sometimes you regret your decisions, just like any other human. But I am sure all these Arm chair QBs/Coaches never had a bad call in their life of coaching....:rolleyes:
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,186 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    Brad Sham asked him today, "If you didn't like the call, why'd you make it?" :laugh2:
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

590 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    They also said, if Austin runs it like he was supposed to it would have been a big gain.
  8. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dude that can't be the case, get with the program, if a play fails its always coaches fault you know?
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,419 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    Or Romo's!! But only if the Cowboys lose :)

#reality
  10. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Good Grief!! Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells and those other guys ALL made bad calls!!!! Jason does as well. Does ANYONE really think that we win this game with Wade still at the helm? Or Bill, Dave, Chan, or Barry?

:lmao:
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,347 Messages
    1,005 Likes Received
    We lose this game - for one of a few reasons - because of an absolutely idiotic stupid atrocious play call.
  12. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,145 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I would like to see him bring in a young protege like Shanahan did with Kubiak and Shanny Jr. Eventually as they learn more and more about what he wants they can take over the play calling, plus it would give him some one to bounce things off.
  13. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He may do that after he establishes himself as a bona-fide Head Coach but for now he will go with what got him here...and that is running the offense. It is his anchor point and gives him his sense of security.
  14. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,280 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    this really was a bad decision.

I like Garrett...alot, but this was a major gaff.

Austin was clearly not himself, he was getting caught by guys he would normally outrun without a problem.

so you got a WR with a tight hammy, and you use him in the running game too?

"come on man"
  15. brucekr

brucekr Member

339 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    If he makes 10 bad calls out of 50'ish plays per game on offense, that's pretty poor game management honestly. There are about 3 plays per game where I just scratch my head because they completely get us out of the flow and get us in long yardage on 2nd and/or 3rd down.
  16. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,138 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Sham is obviously a card-carrying second-guesser . . .
  17. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I respect him for admitting that. For the most part, i think he has done a pretty good job of calling the plays this season. I think he has improved over the years.
  18. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yep....agreed. I second guessed the call as well. But come on, EVERY COACH makes bad calls....EVERY COACH!!
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,439 Messages
    2,296 Likes Received
    I agree.

It's only been two games, but he definitely seems to call a different game as a HC than he did as an OC.
  20. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

772 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    That's fine for Garrett to admit that. YOu are going to have calls you want back. Did anyone read what Broaddus said about that play (it's what I thought as well). If Austin takes that one to the outside, he likely has the first down, and quite possibly more. Basically he's one on one with the safety and I like those odds. (Garrett may regret because Austin is not used to being in that situation and is understandable he did not execute as well as he could have)

Frankly the run to Choice on the previous play I like less. It's 2nd and 3 and we have some momentum. I think we need to keep the gas on the accelerator (especially with our FG situation). Try to get ten more yards and then after that take a shot at the endzone to win the game in regulation.