1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: How about a Cowboys' move to a 4-3?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Jan 4
    10:28
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – What is Jerry Jones talking about when he mentions doing something “almost unconventional,” in attempting to shake the Cowboys from their 16-year state?

It would be nice to get to talk to the owner and general manager, but he’s not been around Valley Ranch since the season has ended.

So let’s raise some possibilities:

Change the general manager? We know that answer.

Change the head coach? He has backed Jason Garrett all season.

Change the guys who call the offense and defense? Maybe, but I’m wondering if it goes a little deeper than just the play callers, especially on defense. Maybe it’s the scheme.

Could the Cowboys scrap the 3-4 and become a 4-3 team in 2013?

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704309/how-about-a-cowboys-move-to-a-4-3
  2. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    I'm for it! Move Ware to DE.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,597 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    Moving deck chairs on the Titanic.
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    :laugh2:Great analogy...
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,123 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    I've never really liked the idea of the 3-4. Three things: First I don't think our defense fools anyone or gives QBs a hard time recognizing the rusher. Second I don't see the point of having either Spencer or Ware in coverage. They aren't good at it. Third we don't have that big body nose tackle who can clog up the middle.

I think a move back to the 4-3 could really help us out.

Steps:
    1. Sign a 4-3 defensive end in free agency. Depending on the cost and parameters of the deal, maybe Osi Umenyiora.

We also have to decide what to do with our 3-4 defensive ends. Do we bulk them up and ask them to play tackle or do we slim them down and ask them to play defensive end?

Makes Ratliff an even bigger question mark.

I'd keep Lissemore and Crawford. Convert Crawford to a 4-3 DE, and scrap the rest. Maybe keep Hatcher, maybe not.

Probably have to sign or draft a weak side linebacker too. Maybe Wilber can fit that spot.
  6. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,133 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Any plan that calls for moving Lee out of the middle is crazy talk
  7. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,577 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Ratliff is a prototypical three-tech DT. I think it would be his best position and probably extend his career.

I also think Crawford/Hatcher are built to play three-tech. What we'd need is a pocket pushing NT and an athletic LDE. I think we have the LB's to play a 4-3...

RDE: Ware
    NT: Johnathon Hankins (R)
    DT: Ratliff
    LDE: Michael Johnson ($$$ FA)

WILL: Carter
    MIKE: Lee
    SAM: Albright
  8. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

587 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    what about Cornellius Carradine? DE from Florida State..

Dude was having a great season but was hurt....He is going to fall on draft day..
  9. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,122 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Jerry said it's not the scheme, it's a fundamental issue in blocking and tackling and he wants to make sure Tony is in a system that fits his talents.

This sounds like a coaching change to Gruden, Holmgren or Callahan.
  10. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,123 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    Give a 4 - 3 over the 3 - 4 any day of the week. What good is a 3 - 4 if not used for blitzing and Ryan rarely blitzes.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    So many teams have gone to the 3-4 that talent has become harder to get. I would rather go back to the 4-3. There are tons of good college 4-3 DE that are questionable 3-4 OLB in the pros. The 4-3 would allow Ware to rush the passer every play instead of dropping into coverage, which I always thought was stupid anyway.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,438 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Let's see, for the umpti-eleventh time, we don't run a pure 3-4 but run myriad front's anyway.

If you want to run a pure 4-3 fine. But we are in 4-6 man fronts often enough IMO.

We do need a prototypical NT at times.
    We need to make sure when we have other pass rushers besides Ware and Spencer anyway esp when they drop into coverage. We need a Hatcher clone to spell him, play on the other side with him, and to replace him when he's hurt. IOWs we need another pass rusher. We need a NT who can collapse the pocket at least on occasion rather than just cut thru it. We need to blitz more which means we need safeties who can cover and cover for our CBs.
  13. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We absolutely should go back to the 4-3. The pitch on switching to the 3-4 was how much confusion you can throw at the opposing QBs. I don't think we've confused a QB this decade to include some of the worst QBs in the league. I imagine Zimmer with our current personnel, healthy, would've been tons better than what we've seen the last 5 years.
    There I said it, Zimmer. hahaha
  14. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,816 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    You want "maybe" keep Hatcher but go and get the overrated Osi?
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,816 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I find it odd that we finally have the personnel for a effective 3-4 and NOW we want to scrap it? Should've scrapped it long before we got Sean Lee and Bruce Carter. I don't see how much more effective this defense will be switching to the 4-3. At the end of the day we still need offensive line help.
  16. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    No it wasn't.
  17. cowboyeric8

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I personally wish we had never changed. But Parcells wanted to.
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,571 Messages
    1,663 Likes Received
    So we finally have the linebackers to run a 3-4 and we're going to change? Genius!
  19. cowboyeric8

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Get healthy on D and it will be just fine.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    Lee and Carter are scheme diverse and they need just as much help on the D Line. In fact that is probably what they draft first.