1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: How about a Cowboys' move to a 4-3?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,414 Messages
    105 Likes Received

There are only so many mammoth DT/DE's and freak athlete OLBs in each draft.

It is much easier to build a 4-3 defense.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They still don't have the NT or the DEs for this to be a decent 3-4 unit.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It used to be just the reverse. Fewer teams ran the 3-4. The Pats were smart to change and take advantage of the quantity of 4-3 players available. Jerry will change in 2019.
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,570 Messages
    1,662 Likes Received
    I agree for the most part.

I want to emphasize that I'm not dismissing the 4-3 defense. I simply don't think the Cowboys should make a switch at this point.

Having said that, with the recent proliferation of read option offenses around the league, we may see a league wide transition to the 4-3. The primary benefit of a 3-4 is its ability to disguise rushers and create confusion in blocking assignments. This is ideal when playing against pocket passers like Manning and Brady who aren't a threat to run.

However, the 3-4 is a slower defense overall than the 4-3; the 3-4 requires bigger linemen and bigger linebackers. The 4-3 utilizes more linemen, meaning the linebackers can be smaller because they don't have to shed blockers. Consequently, the linebackers tend to be faster and have better sideline-to-sideline speed, making them ideal for defending read option run plays.

Just my two cents...
  5. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Pittsburgh seems to be able to reload constantly. I don't think you need mammoth or freak if your evaluation process, your system, and your coaching are solid.
  6. BEMYDADJERRY

BEMYDADJERRY Member

745 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Bahahhaaha !!!!!!
    That's a great comparison !!!!
  7. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,981 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    Never never never have liked the 3-4 as brought in by Parcells and we never had the players.

We have dumped millions into trying to draft players to fit it and only succeeded with Ware and Spence and Lee and that's it. The rest of the DL and LBers have been average or below in results.

Yes..change the system and draft for players to start fitting the system on defense as needed or sign some FA talent there.

It's the prudent thing to do. Finish cleaning house of the Parcells era/legacy. None and I mean none of it worked.

:starspin RedbAll ExPreSS:starspin
  8. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Yes let's switch once we finally have the linebackers to have a successful 3-4. Sounds brilliant.
  9. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like it; gives us an out in not paying Spencer.

The only reason the 3-4 was good was due to supply and demand of the players. Now that the dust has settled time to get back to our roots.

The players we have are versatile, some of our ends are big for the 4-3 but considering our NT spot is devoid of size, we are simply an offseason or two away from an easy switch.

Ware shouldn't EVER drop back to cover, unless it's into the flat...

That's like using a Porshe to go get groceries...
  10. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    the 3-4 generally is a faster defense then a 4-3.

you have one less large body up front replaced by a smaller backer.
  11. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    this....
  12. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    This is correct. The challenge with switching defenses isn't scheme, it's personally. Assuming we keep Spencer, a 4-3 implies that Ware and Spencer would be DE because neither of them can play 43 outside LB. It also means that they would have to most likely play stand up DE because they usually only go into 3 point stances on passing downs, and playing the run from a 3 point is significantly different from playing it coming from a 2 point stance. We have the DT's and LB's for a 43, but we don't have the DE's for it, which is the most important position in a 43 because they are the primary pass rushers and primary contain on running plays
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,570 Messages
    1,662 Likes Received
    Not position-by-position, which was the crux of my post.

Both the linemen and linebackers in a 4-3 defense tend to be smaller. So while there is one more "big body" in a 4-3 defense, the "big bodies" tend to be smaller and the linebackers need not be as large.
  14. cody_04l

cody_04l New Member

10 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Could Jerry's comment of drafting LB Bobby Wagner in the last draft have any merit of a switch to a 4-3? If Mo wasn't there we draft wagner and make the switch?
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,189 Messages
    3,016 Likes Received
    Rob Ryan, Wade and Parcells all use a 4-man line in obvious passing situations.
  16. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    We don't have the personnel to run a 43 every down