1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Jason Garrett's draft pick philosophy

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 19, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Oct 19
    3:29
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- Wide receiver Dwayne Harris cleared waivers and will return to the Cowboys’ practice squad. The biggest sign of his return was the fact that his locker remained intact.

With injuries along the offensive line the Cowboys decided to cut Harris, their sixth round pick in April to make room for guard Daniel Loper. The Cowboys have cut three draft picks with Harris and fullback Shaun Chapas (seventh) returning to the practice squad. Cornerback Josh Thomas was claimed by Carolina after he was released.

“I think it’s important that you try to make the right decisions for your football team on draft day and then once draft day is over,” Garrett said. “I think one of the worst mistakes an organization can make is say, ‘We drafted these guys, we’re keeping these guys,’ so you can say publicly, ‘Look, we have eight draft picks on our team.’ I think that’s a bad decision. So we try to create competitive environment and we’ve been very happy with our draft picks so far and the role they’re going t have now and in the future.”

Read the rest; http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4685347/jason-garretts-draft-pick-philosophy
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett's draft pick philosophy
    October, 19, 2011
    By Todd Archer

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4685347/jason-garretts-draft-pick-philosophy

IRVING, Texas -- Wide receiver Dwayne Harris cleared waivers and will return to the Cowboys’ practice squad. The biggest sign of his return was the fact that his locker remained intact.

With injuries along the offensive line the Cowboys decided to cut Harris, their sixth round pick in April to make room for guard Daniel Loper. The Cowboys have cut three draft picks with Harris and fullback Shaun Chapas (seventh) returning to the practice squad. Cornerback Josh Thomas was claimed by Carolina after he was released.

From 2009-11, the Cowboys have drafted 26 players and only 10 are currently on the active roster: Stephen McGee, Victor Butler, David Buehler, John Phillips, Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Sean Lissemore, Tyron Smith, DeMarco Murray and David Arkin...
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    His philosophy makes sense, you don't want to give jobs away if there is someone better, but that has little to do with why Harris in particular was cut.

Thomas, was another guy we wanted to keep but he got snatched up.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    and it happens to a lot of team who release players they really hope to keep and then resign them to PS once they clear waviers.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, how doesn't it?

Garrett felt he has a good five WRs on the squad (Dez, Austin, Robinson, Holley, and Ogletree). They needed more spots with the addition of Loper, Holland and soon for Bruce Carter.

Harris was caught at bottom of the totem pole as least valuable/or less of a need.

Let's be honest Count, I think this really comes down to you just liking the player (Harris) and thinking you've got a better evaluation on the player than the Cowboys coaching staff and front office. How can you agree with the philosophy and then question the Harris move?

Like Garrett and others on this board implied, the worst you can do is keep player X over a better player Y just because player X was a draft pick.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    "Harris was caught at bottom of the totem pole as least valuable/or less of a need."

I fully agree he was caught in the numbers game. As it was mentioned in an article Harris Locker still had his name and belongings in it so the Cowboys did want to bring him back. He cleared waivers and now he is back.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Oh, so this is what we're doing now. You're going to tell me what I think? That's an interesting tactic.

So you're suggesting Harris was being played over another player that was better than him? Who exactly?
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, I'll let you speak for yourself. But I'm free to interpret your comments, and it seems to me this is really about you just liking Harris and finding it regretable that they cut him initially. You made a lot of hub-bub yesterday about the rational of cutting a 6th round draft pick. I and a slew of others posters gave you numerous examples of draft picks (often much higher) getting axe in their rookie seasons.

You, were acting like the Cowboys set some huge precedence by releasing Harris.

You, acted as if Harris got short-shrift because he was 1) Drafted 2) had a truncated training camp 3) In your opinion, didn't do anything to deserve losing his roster spot.

Yet, we could go through every teams 2011 draft class and see a long list of rookie draft picks that were cut before the season even started; in essence, given a whole lot less of a chance than Dwayne Harris. Why? Because it happens.

Nope, and now you're putting words in my mouth.

I am suggesting the Cowboys viewed Harris' spot on the active roster as superfluous and therefore cut him in favor of putting an extra lineman (Lober I believe) on the roster.