1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: John Garrett shouldn't be exempt

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,087 Messages
    5,637 Likes Received
    Jan 9
    9:50
    AM CT

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Every assistant coach should be harshly and honestly evaluated after the Cowboys missed the playoffs for the third consecutive season.

Just wondering whether tight ends coach John Garrett gets an exemption.

The only reason the elder Garrett brother wouldn’t be in jeopardy of losing his job is the same reason he was hired in the first place: He happens to share bloodlines with the then-offensive coordinator/current head coach.

Please don’t point to Jason Witten’s record-breaking career as proof that John Garrett has done a good job. Witten was a three-time Pro Bowler when Garrett showed up at Valley Ranch. He doesn’t need a position coach to push him to be great. In fact, the example Witten sets is the best asset Garrett has.

Garrett should be judged by the development of young tight ends. That’s been a major failure during his six-season tenure.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...shouldnt-be-exempt-to-uncomfortable-offseason
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What a stupid write up. If you can't point to success w/ our TE's this year and believe me there were successes, I don't see the point of even discussing John's future w/ the team. The TE's were not hurt. The TE's were catching balls all over the place (Witten for sure and our rookie Hanna and even Phillips). Alot of these balls were key catches for us as well, so this article rings a bit hollow for me.

I don't see anything wrong w/ our TE's except they aren't used as weapons on a consistent basis. That is on JG though and not John.

This just stinks of pot stirring. Weak...but expected from MacMahon.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    I thought he made a pretty good case.

I would be all for firing him. But it's the nepotism of another family in the organization that concerns me more.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    He's right that Garrett should not be exempt of criticism. But, yeah, there's not a ton there to be critical of. His position group has played well and developed. Martellus's problems aren't with coaching, and his 'blossoming' in NY wasn't anything that wouldn't have happened anywhere had he earned the targets. The guy's still a head case and was a poor draft pick.
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    This Bozo should have been fired last year. Not being able to get anything out of Bennett but blocking??
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,464 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    :laugh1: @ the usual suspects making excuses for anyone with last name Garrett
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    I thought he was also "passing game coordinator"? Or was that last year and it was removed from him?
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Uh, Hanna and Phillips combined for 16 catches and less than 200 yards. That hardly qualifies as "catching balls all over the place".

I think the critique with Bennett's lack of development is fair. Although he's a knucklehead, not improving in that many years with the team is not exactly a ringing endorsement for Garrett
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    Honestly, I don't keep track of that stuff. I think he is. You were unhappy with the passing game?
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    I think the passing game had issues yes. It never looked great until they let Romo go into the 2 minute drill. I think the WRs struggled to know their routes, hot routes and zone reads all year long.

The passing game put up some yardage but not much in points and would typically be very slow to get going with most yard & points coming via the hurry up or garbage time.

Thats not even getting into the route combos, lack of adjustments or game flow play calling. :)
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Been saying this for years. Guy is a clown. He can piss off and take Wade Wilson with him.
  12. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:laugh2: @ your content all of the time. Rinse - repeat - nothing to say per usual but cry and @#%$@# about other posters.

We thank you...
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Oh you must of forgotten the other 100+ the the other guy caught all over the place? Like I mentioned earlier it isn't John's fault the OC for this team refuses to use the rookie and phillips more often.

Blame the play caller for that and not the position coach, like I said.
  14. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

:laugh2:

Jason Witten was a 3 time pro bowler before he ever met High and Tight
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I agree
  16. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,126 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Ah yes, what would Jason Witten do without the brilliance of John Garrett's coaching? I pity the thought.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I agree.
  18. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    is actually comparing Marty B's contributions this year for the Giants, where he was the #1 TE, to Marty B's contribution in Dallas where he played behind a HOF ?

See, stupid crap like this is why little Timmy is a joke. I'm not defending John Garrett. I'm not concerned with his job because the TEs were NOT a problem this season whatsoever and, to be honest, he's a freakin' TE coach.. pretty much, 1 step above the equipment manager.

OBVIOUSLY, little Timmy needs to stir the crap because he has to excuse his unearned salary to BSPN, and what better way to do it than to pick on the headcoach's brother.

NEPOTISM is what's killing us I tell ya... :eek:

By the way, I don't have a problem with the way John Phillips has developed in recent years or the way Hannah has looked in the extremelly limited times he's seen the field. But of course, those back up TEs need to play at a Pro Bowl level so idiots like little Timmy be satisfied..