1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Martellus Bennett admits struggling in Dallas

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,346 Messages
    4,309 Likes Received
    Mar 13
    8:41
    PM CT

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Former Dallas Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett inked a four-year $20 million deal with the Chicago Bears on Wednesday afternoon. The Texas A&M alum has come a long way since his rookie year with the Cowboys.

Wednesday, Bennett was asked about his time with the Cowboys and offered an interesting response.

"I think early in my career, it’s no secret that I struggled earlier in my career," Bennett said. "But it wasn’t because of my ability or being able to make plays. It was more attitude. I think I never accepted my role in Dallas and I always was fighting with what my role was instead of just accepting it. I did kind of accept it because I became one of the better blocking tight ends in the NFL, which was my role there. It’s helped me out throughout my whole career. I was a blocking guy down there. Really it just added some perspective for me."

The Bears wanted the all-around Bennett, who not only is a good blocker but an excellent receiver.

"I didn’t want to be the second guy (in Dallas)," he said. "I never want to be second. I finally got a chance to be the No. 1 guy, and I was able to make huge strides in being able to play and make plays. I think this is the next step for us up and I’m excited about it."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...martellus-bennett-admits-struggling-in-dallas
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,022 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Surprised he isn't blaming Romo
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,530 Messages
    5,257 Likes Received
    Nice reply from Bennett. Good for him.
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Oh, what a jerk.

:rolleyes:
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Good for him. We all can learn and improve.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,614 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    I like him finally taking responsibility. And he is a very good blocker.
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    A very good response from Bennett re: his Dallas days. His experience in NY probably helped him as well.

On the otherhand though I think this should end the argument that Bennett wasn't being used properly. It was never the lack of talent with him.

Clearly, he admitted that he never accepted his role which we now know the reason why he had issues here.
  8. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He admits that it was his attitude. He hated that Witten was the #1 and he was mostly a blocker. At least he admits now. I still don't like him for bashing the Cowboys, though.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    one smart statement does not make up for 100 dumb ones.
  10. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,822 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    And everybody always "aksing" about Dallas. His last job was with the Giants. He's a non-factor.
  11. Idgit

29,530 Messages
    5,257 Likes Received
    Yeah, but after his next smart statement, we'll have a trend. :)
  12. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,482 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Bennett may see the Pro Bowl this year.
  13. Idgit

29,530 Messages
    5,257 Likes Received
    You think his brother might give him some tickets? I bet he'd like that.
  14. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,857 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Still for the life of me CANNOT understand why we used a 2nd round pick on a blocking TE. Here's a wild idea...why not use that same 2nd round pick on an offensive lineman?!! Someones whose job is to actually block! Someone who would not complaing about blocking!!!!!!!!!! It was obvious early on that he did not want the role Dallas thrust upon him...and honestly....when you had the ability he has..why would you want to be a blocking TE. Obviously he is not as good as Witten...but he had much more to offer than we asked of him! All we wanted to do was beat his body up for the vet minumum! He knew to make the kind of money he deserved he would have to show more...and he was never going to get a chance to show more in Dallas. Kudos to him for doing what was best for him!
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,847 Messages
    2,094 Likes Received
    It is called growing up. Bennett was considered immature at Texas A&M and a guy to marched to a different drummer. I think he has the physical talent to be a very good TE all he has to do is dedicate himself to his profession.

There was little doubt he did not want to be a backup but no coach is his right mind would put him above Jason Witten.
  16. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,486 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    That was a mature answer for such an immature guy.

I wish nothing but a sucky game for him when we meet up with Chicago next season.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,504 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    I do hope he has grown up, for his own sake. Dooms is absolutely right, he has the physical ability to do whatever he wants at the TE position. It's a shame he's not doing it for us. We need a good TE and he could have been that for us. Didn't happen that way. Costly mistake for us.
  18. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

And this is from a "realist"!
  19. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I feel the same way. I live in New York and told some of my Giant fan friends that Eli was going to make the most of Bennett's height. 55 catches and 5 TDs is just the beginning. Often being the tallest player on the field with a 34 inch vertical should theoretically be an ideal mismatch against virtually any DB or LB on a high throw.
  20. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Translate: I got paid millions to work with/learn from one of the best TE's in the game and I was too much of a meat head to appreciate the opportunity.

good riddance