1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Martellus Bennett admits struggling in Dallas

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,464 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Appears to be getting a little maturity with age. That's a good thing for the guy.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,840 Messages
    809 Likes Received
    Makes sense.

Too bad, on our end, that we wasted a 2nd round pick on a backup blocking tight end. I will never understand how we thought that was going to work.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,338 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received
    How is it a costly mistake? You can't make a player grow up. He has to sometimes do that on his own. Because he didn't accept his role as the second guy, he underperformed in that role. He could have been a guy that caught 30 or so passes a year(he did one year), but he didn't want to do that. As the second tight end with his particular skill set, he had to expect to do a good portion of blocking. Dallas got 4 years out of him. Maybe not the best choice, but hardly a costly mistake.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,685 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    15 catches in his first 3 games and 40 in the next 13. seems like he wore out his welcome real fast

I noticed in the last couple of games Eli hardly ever looked his way
  5. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Not sure if we were watching the same games. I could understand if his production dropped off or went from those 15 catches to 1 per game after mid season. But if anything, there was no pattern except averaging a few targets per game, every game.

I saw Martellus drop some easy passes but he was consistently an option for Eli and I saw no lowered interest in getting him the ball. His second to last game he had 4 catches. Games 7-13 he had between 3-5 catches. Other than 4 games where he only had 1 catch (game 4, 6, 14, and 16), its hard to conclude any declining interest in using him.
  6. forever22

forever22 Member

369 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He wasn't a wasted pick, he wasted his talent. He could have been more but he was too busy being a goof off instead of learning from the best. There was a use for him in the passing game with his height, if he put more effort into it. Drop easy passes, then get on the field and practice, instead of Tweeting and stop blaming others for your failure. It's good that he can see some of this now.

as it was aptly stated, he was a meathead.
  7. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

921 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Spot on.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,685 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    when you go from a lot of interest in getting him the ball to less, that speaks loudly.

And in the critical games at the end of the season (13-15) just how many targets did he have? When it mattered the most?
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,080 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    I'm glad he's no longer a Cowboy... He didn't accept his role.
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    And 10 minutes later, he fell asleep in the film room.

This is why I love the corny Garrett RKG philosophy. It's so much easier to coach guys like Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Brandon Carr, Mo Claiborne, Tyron Smith, Demarco Murray, Barry Church.....to go along with Witten, Ware, Romo, Austin, Spencer, etc. I was surprised and disappointed with Ratliff, but I'm confident that will be a one time thing from here out.

And it's exhausting for everybody when you have guys you have to hold your breath every day about. We only have Dez now, and he seems on the right track. But I still worry what he's up to today with all that time to kill.
  11. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

865 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    Perfectly said.
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,718 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    +1 post of the thread
  13. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    At least from his Twitter acct, Dez has been working out and it appears that he has found religion. He posts a quote of scripture everyday.

He just signed up with Fitzgerald's charity softball event in April.
  14. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,947 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    He's growing up, shame he couldn't do that while he was here
  15. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,123 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    That was the most mature he's ever sounded, bravo !
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, T.O. at times sounded mature too. Once a meathead always a meathead!

Where T.O. is now - irrelevant and nowhere - is where MartyB is headed in life.
  17. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,337 Messages
    24 Likes Received

Give me 20 mil and Ill admit to anything....PLUHUZZeEE with this clown..He got what he wanted $$$$$$$$$.....He will never be heard from again...
  18. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,337 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Didn't see this post till I posted but you are 100% right
  19. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,727 Messages
    3,932 Likes Received
    Never was a question of talent. Things have changed. If you don't start by the end of your contract then you're going somewhere you can if at all possible.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He was nothing more than a marginal starter in NY on a team that desperately needed someone to fill a huge role in the passing game after Manningham left and Nicks hobbled all year.