1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Mike Jenkins could be done with Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 3, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,424 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    They could have signed him to a big contract but signed Carr instead. I'm not certain that there is an advantage to signing your own FA vs another teams FA?
  2. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,190 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    I kind of assumed it was a done deal that he was leaving. With Carr, Claiborne, and Scandrick all being big investments, there just didn't seem to be enough value to justify the expense of keeping him to be the 4th corner. He's not as good on the edge as Carr and Claiborne, or as good in the slot as Scandrick, so there's really just no place for him.
  3. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    will we get compensatory picks for Jenkins and Felix leaving?
  4. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,866 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    This has been ongoing for the last 16 years..really.

Demarcus Ware is the only draft pick this team drafted before 2012 that has really worked out.

It's a clear symptom of the problem with this team.

We are the laughing stock of the NFL.

We have turned into a joke. The reporters on the networks just completely diss this franchise as a bunch of losers.

And I agree.

Just once I'd like to hear Tony Romo speak candidly about what is wrong with this franchise/team and voice an opinion as the leader of this franchise on the field.

Troy Aikman never had a problem about speaking his mind and he had alot of input on the teams decisions and results.

Nobody dared challenge him as the leader of his teams but this guy Romo..?

He's an empty uniform.

Let it go and let's move on.

I'd prefer our respect back as a team that is capable of making the tough decisions and admitting our mistakes and doing whatever has to be done to start the winning again.

That's going to take removing Romo as the team leader and Garrett as the puppet of Jerry Jones.

Period. Nothing less will stop the bleeding.

Hate to be so cold, but it really needs to be said.

:starspin Redball Express:starspin
  5. LUVDABOYS

LUVDABOYS Member

232 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Good, Murray can run right at him and instantly gain an extra 15 yards.;)
  6. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,967 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I was a big supporter of his, but I think it is time to move on.
  7. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,129 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    and take your panzy tackling with you
  8. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,129 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    jones, jenkins and spears = more first round busts
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,165 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    If we had to take a RB and CB, it would've been nice to have taken Ray Rice and Brandon Flowers that year :(
  10. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,967 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    The Chiefs have been terrible this year, but you have to admire their draft scouts that season. They got Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr in rounds 2 and 5 respectively. We got Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick in rounds 1 and 5.
  11. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

2,934 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Jenkins is a solid CB. He is no Revis but there aren't many elite CBs in the league. Jenkins is as good as some other 1st round quality CBs in the league. It's really his persistent injuries that caused him to lose favor among the fans. I mean I can't blame the fans. I get frustrated with Jenkins' constant injuries. But people are showing a hatred toward Jenkins that they don't show toward other Cowboys who have a very similar injury record--guys like Sean Lee, Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray. It's blasphemy to say anything negative about those guys on here. Aside from some character issues, Jenkins is very similar to those three--good football players who can't stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if fans are acting the same way about Sean Lee three years from now. I'm just saying show Jenkins a little respect. He's a good player. Jones and Spears, on the other hand, are busts who probably won't even be in the league after they leave the Cowboys.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say he was a "poor" draft pick.

I will say that he was far from a "great" draft pick.

The guy has ability. His 2009 season was top notch. But his 2010 season probably could not have been worse. Literally, he was as bad as can be.

Over his span in Dallas, I think it's fair to say he is "okay".

Ideally you want 1st round guys to be contributors who aren't so inconsistent that they look amazing one year and CFL-quality the following year.

In the grand scheme of things, I think you want a 1st rounder to be someone that you'd like to retain. In that sense he's probably "poor". Based on last offseason and combined with his inconsistent play, I'm not sure Dallas wants the guy. You want the ability and ceiling that he has but you're risking the attitude and approach that puts him close to the floor.
  13. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Isn't that normal in the NFL? Julius Peppers is a bear, Mario Williams is a Bill, Michael Vick is a Eagle.....welcome to the Salary Cap era.
  14. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I thought he was pretty solid, myself. When he got hurt, his play suffered, and he could have done better with his rehab, etc...but I thought he played well for the most part.
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    No.

All of the players you've mentioned played for the teams that drafted them for more than 5 years.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,799 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    He probably signs with the Jags... He's from that area.
  17. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    That was my pick as well.

Figure he'll go there for the payday and play for that reason alone.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,585 Messages
    2,746 Likes Received
    I wish I knew what the deal was with him and the team. There must be an attitude issue of some sort. I think he's very underrated as a CB, and he always says the right things. I'll be bummed when he's gone.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,752 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    this is the bottom line IMO
  20. Rascal07

Rascal07 Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed. I hope they can work out a deal to keep him.