1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Mike Tomlin is big fan of Monte Kiffin

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,524 Messages
    3,365 Likes Received
    Mar 19
    1:30
    PM CT

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

PHOENIX -- If there's anybody who believes in new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, it's Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin worked with Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli in Tampa Bay.

"Monte is going to be great in particular, Monte in a combination with Rod, that's a lethal combination," said Tomlin, who worked with the duo from 2001 to 2005 as a defensive backs coach. "These guys are football purists. I imagine they're somewhere in the bowels of that facility right now, man, with trash cans talking about how to defend the A, B, C gap.

"I grew up professionally with those guys. They're special people. I wish them nothing but the best. I acknowledge if you're competing against them, you got your hands full for a lot of reasons. I've been blessed to be associated with those guys."

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706689/mike-tomlin-is-big-fan-of-monte-kiffin
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,853 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Can't begin to describe how psyched about this change

We still need to add a couple of guys, but the defense may actually win us some games this year!
  3. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Me too. And as much as I dislike the Steelers, I do like Tomlin.
    Getting excited to see what Kiffin can do next year !!!
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,985 Messages
    3,920 Likes Received
    That sounds promising, anyway.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,580 Likes Received
    Nice to have some proven coaches like Kiffin and Marinelli running the defense. When you see the coaches who have worked with them and under them making these comments it says a lot about the respect these 2 coaches have earned.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,164 Messages
    1,795 Likes Received
    good point

cautious optimism as far as defensive coaching staff is concerned
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,580 Likes Received
    As a fan I'm always optimistic. I look forward to seeing the boys back in camp and working to improve as a team. Clearly we have areas of concern and I think some of these concerns will be addressed.

I also think this season will be the fork in the road season they either put together and have a very good season and make the post season or else I think this team gets blown up including Garrett. I think everyone at Valley Ranch knows the pressure is on.
  8. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,039 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    If all of our key guys are healthy, the front 7 can be really good.