1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND:Morris Claiborne gets more work as a kickoff returner

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – It sounds like prized rookie cornerback Morris Claiborne tops the list of the Cowboys’ alternatives for kickoff return work.

“I just started getting a lot more reps in it now, backing Felix up and just trying to get all the catches I can get,” Claiborne said.

Felix Jones remains the Cowboys’ primary kickoff returner despite ranking in the bottom third of the league and losing a fumble to start Sunday’s loss. It will be interesting to see how much patience coach Jason Garrett exhibits with if there isn’t significant progress – or if there are any other problems with ball security.

Claiborne, the sixth overall pick in the draft, averaged 26.3 yards on 19 kickoff returns for LSU, including a 99-yard touchdown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...laiborne-gets-more-work-as-a-kickoff-returner
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He can't be worse than Felix.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Mo is an explosive kickoff returner, I like to see him back there with Mike Jenkins healthy.
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Three cheers for Jason Garrett. Thank you.
  5. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I don't understand why they put Mo back there when he is a starting corner. Put in Harris and Dunbar and call it a day. They are both pretty good returners and hurting a starting corner is not worth it.
  6. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Garrett continues to underwhelm me with his decisions. Absolute terrible decision to put Mo as KR. Why put one of your prize possessions in harms way? So he gets to the 30 3 times then he blows out his knee. With the special team not blocking for the KR, it's not if it's when is it going to happen. As in his poor game planning,before and during, his personnel choices don't seem of benefit to the team either. I personally, at present, wouldn't have any KR return a kick out of the end zone. I know this isn't how football is supposed to be played, but it's better than fumbling or starting from the 10 or 15 yard line. It also cuts down on injuries and penalties. Just my opinion your miles may vary.
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I like hearing things like this. I'd also like to hear Dez is getting more reps.
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,986 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    This is fine and dandy until Mo takes a whack and is out for a few games. Use Dunbar or Harris and call it a day, Mo is too important in our defensive game.

Any decision is the right decision as long as it is NOT Felix or Mo IMO.
  9. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    With this attitude Deion Sanders never would have returned kickoffs.
  10. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,747 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Deion ain't here.
  11. dexternjack

5,986 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Last time I checked, Mo has played two NFL games and it not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Deion as this point in his career.
  12. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I wasn't comparing the two. I was illustrating in the most obvious and well known way that a good kick returner was found in a cornerback because he was given the chance.

Nice try though.
  13. dexternjack

5,986 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Gotcha, thought ya were taking a cheap shot.

Doesn't change my stance, I would not put Mo back there, too risky. He already has had a knee issue recently too. Now, if they want to try punt returns in the future, I could be up for that.

Deion started out returning both KR and punts, but after 4 years he pretty much stuck to punts. I don't know the reason for that though.
  14. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Dwyane Harris never gets any love.lol Not even from the coaches.
  15. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good point.
  16. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Nope. I get where you're coming from I just don't like thinking like that. It's playing afraid and way too conservative for my liking.
  17. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    You're right it's absolutely nuts to put your starting corner back there.

I'm just happy Garrett's saving at least a little face in the wake of Jerry talking about Felix starting. Felix will start, no bones about it, but at least Garrett is protesting.

Jones hasn't produced, and worse he fumbled. Dallas needs to look for alternatives. This amounts to baby steps in that direction, but at least we're moving in that direction.

Nothing inspires better play more than competition.