1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPND: O-line could look a lot different after bye week

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JonJon, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I was actually going to ask when he was due to be back. He seemed to play very well whenever given a chance last year and if Cook can play guard effectively, maybe that could be a solution for the rest of the year to improve our line play at least somewhat.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I appreciate the levity with such a depressing topic.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,009 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Costa is the starting center as soon as he's healthy, that isn't even debatable with anyone of any knowledge of the situation.
  4. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Given your previous positions that crashed and burned regarding the OL I'm inclined to believe the opposite!
  5. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,325 Messages
    354 Likes Received

I don't think Costa is going to supplant Cook anytime soon but my Oline predictions have certainly been lacking this year. Nagy, Killa, and Costa flushed the pot.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    ,,, even as pessimistic as I've been with the OL moves I had no idea things would be this horrific. I felt the odds favored us getting 1 decent lineman out of the Nagy/Arkin/Kowalski group and maybe 1 decent guard out of the Livings/Bernardeau/Leary signings, but so far only Livings seems to be usable,,, add the implosion of Free and we're just screwed across the board :(
  7. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

1,988 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Actually he is. Costa is better than Cook. Also don't be surprised if Bernadeau doesn't pick it up Cook will be the one at guard replacing him.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,903 Likes Received
    I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't go back to their starting Center after just three games and some of Cook's limitations in the running game.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,603 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    That statement typifies how far we've fallen. :(
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,397 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    I don't see why. Holland played well last year as our best interior olineman and has taken his position as partner in Bentley's oline training facility to heart and has worked his butt off.

Holland is an above average NFL guard. He just doesn't want to

1) play for peanuts without any commitment and
    2) play for anyone but the Cowboys.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,567 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    Holland is a darn good guard. When he's on his game, he's one of the better run blocking linemen in the league.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    And that must be why 32 teams didn't want him.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,262 Messages
    2,823 Likes Received
    Kind of what I thought also.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,118 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    holland apparently has made it known he will only play for the Boys - and that is the main reason he is sitting right now. He is playing the waiting game gambling the boys will fold.

As regards Costa, clearly its not just a muscle problem with his back. The boys probably realize that he can go out at any time and therefore practically speaking cannot count on him for steady work.
  15. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Replacing slop with more slop. How comforting. They need to sign Holland and give that a shot. His veteran leadership could help stabalize the right side of the line. He did work next to Free on the other side when Free had his best season.
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Every time Holland has come in and played, the running game has taken off. Coincidence or not?
  17. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I'm not saying you're wrong and you very well may be right, but this is just stupid. Turning down opportunities for an organization that doesn't value you (not that he has much value, football wise, imo) is pretty dumb.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,883 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    If it's true he will only play for Dallas it's a damn shame the team won't bring him in.

I can't imagine he's asking for the moon.
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    Anyone who thinks Costa will be the saving grace of this line is kidding themselves.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Costa? Nahh... ol' alligator arms just doesn't have the physical talent to be able to hold up at the POA.

When's Kowalski get back? :)