1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Phil Costa could start at guard

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by viman96, Aug 14, 2011.

1. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,667 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    ARLINGTON, Texas -- If there was just one good thing that came out of Thursday's preseason opener against Denver for the Dallas Cowboys, it was the play of center Phil Costa.

While backing the injured Andre Gurode, who returned to practice Saturday, Costa made a case for more playing time. He can play both guard positions and most likely will get a shot at starting as the left guard alongside left tackle Doug Free.

Jerry Jones said he expects to see Costa play now.

Rest of story
  2. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,667 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    The article does not mention Arkin. I thought he (Arkin) played well and the reports have been positive.
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did too. I thought he played at least as well, if not better than Costa....particularly on the first series.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Costa's short arms do not hurt him as much at center as they would at guard; he had trouble last year when he was at guard. Now he is very strong; which is Arkin's one weakness. But then again this is BSPN so take it with a grain of salt.
  5. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Free Arkin Costa Nagy Tyron

That's what I'm hoping for after Gurode and Kosier ride off into the sunset.

It would be huge for our drafts and cap if we don't have to draft any more OL 1-3 in the next 3-5 years.
  6. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That would be nice.

As I posted elsewhere, Costa's performance kind of went unnoticed. He moves well and provides a nice punch. Why play him anywhere but center, though?
  7. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,316 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    I think they are saying this more due to a veteren starting. We already have a rookie in Smith starting. And then comes time for real game action to where they actually game plan defensive schemes. and we have 2 rookies starting. So maybe Costa gets the start and Arkin takes over when he is ready. Maybe mid season or so. If it does not happen by gamr 10 to 12, then I would expect Costa stays in.

Just my early preseason thoughts from game 1 and radio / news pundits.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I hope not. It would be nive if we hit on all 3 interior guys but it;s such a long shot it just seems like a disaster. IMO, I'll be happy if Costa and Nagy can just provide depth.
  9. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    You really hope we don't get three OL starters out of the last draft? That's, uh, well, I guess everyone has an opinion.

:confused:
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    considering how horrendous we have been at drafting O line for the last 15 years, I think its more a case of total disbelief that we suddenly hit the lottery.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's more what it is. I'd love it if all 3 were all pro players for the next 10 seasons, but I doubt that's the case.

All in all, if this is our interior line in 2015, I think we'll be in trouble. I think Arkin is a hit. Costa could be, but Nagy is nothing but a pipe dream right now.

Not to mention this probably means OL wasn't addressed in any of the next few drafts which is very risky
  12. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'll wait and see. You never know. I certainly don't wanna stop drafting OL.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,683 Messages
    2,416 Likes Received
    It's one thing to start; it's another to actually be good. Alan Ball started at safety last year.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,274 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    Me either.

I hope collecting quality OL is the Cowboys new hobby.
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be mad if Costa started at LG, he can move in space.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    LG spot looks like a 3-man race between Holland, Arkin and Costa. Holland will probably get the nod at the start of the year if he is ready to go but I don't think he will last very long.

I think Arkin will wiin the competition with Costa in the end. Costa is setting himself up for the inside track on Gurode's position. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Gurode's last year with the way his knees seem to be deteriorating.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,904 Messages
    4,731 Likes Received
    Costa played fine at OG last year. Not sure why people want to think he was a problem. It was actually a bright spot that he held up as well as he did as a relatively unknown rookie.

His arm length isn't going to be a problem, either. He's probably going to end up starting this season at LG at some point. We're getting a lot younger along the OL.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,041 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    This.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
    Exactly. I'm not all that encouraged by the thought of him starting.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    WTH-Jebus sakes Chris! - OBVIOUSLY Jerry Jones is still running this team, Costa is a natural fit for Dallas at Center not Gaurd.