1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Roster cuts can begin today

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    If things go right, it should be a VERY happy day or next few weeks at least. Liberation! :bow:
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,667 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I doubt anything happens today but we will see in the next couple days
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Yeah not sure if the team has even conducted this year's exit interviews.
  5. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    It seems like I read that exit interviews had been conducted a few weeks ago. Shortly after the season ended.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    He'll be cut June 1
  7. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Might not see cuts today unless it's an outright obvious cut, like Marion Barber was last year.

You generally want to wait until closer to the draft...no need to tip your hand on where you're looking in the draft by cutting a bunch of CBs.
  8. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    I tend to agree. I think most cuts of our guys will occur late April or in May.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,746 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    Pro teams almost always do it within the first day or two after the season. Players take off for vacations, or go home. Either way, they spread out all over the place, and it's too hard to get them done after that.
  10. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Agreed... it may be a few days before we hear some movement.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,746 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I understand the jubilation, but it's kind of bittersweet for me. I'm all for letting go of dead weight, but the more you have to let go, the more you have to replace. And it means the more areas where improvement is needed.

Now, if you have the players in place to do that, fine. Hopefully we will over the next 3 months.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Jerry wouldn't do that. He'd cut him now and designate him a June 2 cut. For cap purposes, it's the same thing as cutting him on June 2, but the player isn't stuck in limbo.
  13. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    What are the savings in designating him a June 1 cut versus June 2?
  14. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,865 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Too bad Newman wouldn't accept a backup role here.
  15. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    You never know. I would absolutely like to keep him for a restructured deal in a backup capacity. With his age, he'd make a great nickel CB and would be able to stay fresher longer since he lost most of his wheels at the end of last season.

He's not the kind of guy to just dog it out there, especially with the playoffs on the line.

But, you're more than likely right. I don't think he'll accept that.
  16. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    If you are referring to the difference between June 1 and June 2, the actual date when future prorations don't accelerate into the current season is June 2, not June 1. If the NFL processes the cut on June 1, all future bonus prorations accelerate into the current season. If the cut is processed on June 2, then all future prorations accelerate into the following season, and only the current season's proration counts for that season.

Many teams will announce cuts on June 1, but they don't submit them to the NFL until after the NFL office closes for the day or until June 1. They can, however, cut up to two players before that and designate them as June 2 cuts. Then the players are free to sign elsewhere, but their cap hits remain unchanged until June 2.

Here's the part of the CBA that applies --

(1) For any player removed from the Team’s roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d)(iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club’s Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below.
  17. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Backup to the backup is only role for him I want to see.
  18. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. If nothing else Mr. Jones has shown he is very fair with the players, understands and tries very hard to make things as easy on a players exit as possible and real nice quality in him.
  19. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,429 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    I agree. Frank Walker, Ball, Newman. The guy is toast!
  20. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Oops, that bolded part should say June 2.