1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND:Source: Five DBs will audition for Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- Antwaun Molden is not the only defensive back the Cowboys will be working out today at Valley Ranch. Four more will be making auditions to fill a roster spot that will be open because of Barry Church’s season-ending Achilles tear.

Tyrone Culver, who spent the last four years with Miami, Eric Frampton, who spent the last five years in Minnesota, Don Carey, who played last year for Detroit, and Aaron Rouse, the MVP of last year’s UFL Championship Game, will be looking for a job, according to a source.

Culver played in the preseason finale against the Cowboys on Aug. 29 and made two tackles. He was among the Dolphins’ final cuts. Carey was waived/injured by the Lions because of a hamstring injury and played in only five games last year. He started 10 games for Jacksonville in 2010 and had 55 tackles and an interception. Molden is a cornerback by trade, but the Cowboys will give him a look at safety with his 6-1, 198-pound frame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698330/cowboys-to-took-at-five-dbs
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Welp looks like McCray and Silva all the way til Sensabaugh gets back
  3. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Out of all those players, I like Aaron Rouse the best. He is a big guy (6'4" 227) that plays aggressive and makes big hits. He is also very athletic and has enough speed to keep up with most receivers (4.5). All the reports I have read says that he can easily pick up a playbook, so in a situation like this, we need someone that can get up and running quickly. He does a decent job in man coverage.

The negatives are that he gets lost in zone coverage. I think the best bet is to bring him in at SS and keep him as close to the LOS as possible and let Sensy stay at FS when he gets back and have Carr play that spot in the meantime.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,199 Likes Received
    Frampton, back from the dead.
  5. warrior43

warrior43 Member

260 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Rouse for sure out of those options
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    I think Molden is the leader in the clubhouse here. He's played for some outstanding defensive coaches and I think that is a real plus
  7. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,056 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Rouse or Molden.

I like the physicality Rouse brings.
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    The knock against him from what I'm reading is that he struggles with the playbook. I'm not sure we need that at this point in the season.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,900 Messages
    4,246 Likes Received
    Do you mean...do you mean...do you mean that Frampton Comes Alive?!?!

I wonder how many youngsters have no clue what we are talking about. :laugh2:
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Guess this cast of scrubs is what we get when we ignore the position for years and years.

Alot harder to find a safety who can play off the street then it is for alot of other positions cause they really have to be the main ones on the backend that know whats going on.

Guess I will keep on harping on it, our D has been good this year, but the safety position is what truly holds it back from being elite.
  11. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do you feel like I do?...lol
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    T.J. McDonald, coming to an NFL team near you
  13. Deep_Freeze

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I can only dream.

Guess some people just don't realize with our huge upgrades at CB, how great this D would be with some talent at safety. Right now we get good coverage, but how many turnovers are they really producing.....Falcons have 7 INTs, we have 1, pathetic.

Upgrade the safety position, and we can finally get the turnovers that we need desperately out of this D and make the unit an elite unit for years to come.
  14. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I with you. Get a top safety in the draft (there will be plenty to choose from) and use free agency and the other remaining top draft selections to finally get some talent on the offensive line.
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Yeah I'm with that, we have alot of positions that need talent, but the top 2 are safety and OL, and like you I also want to use free agency on the OL cause we need some immediate help there that we can trust.

With our corners we have now, it should be rather obvious how much of a difference a playmaking safety would make on this D. Hopefully we can get that done this offseason, cause I want 2 new starting ones and hope Matt is one of them.
  16. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Molden or Rouse, kinda hoping for Rouse but I think Molden can play. Kinda makes you think Butler was not high on Ryan's list even though most fans here loved him
  17. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    The key to INTs is to get good pressure and good coverage. You either get a sack, throw away or the QB starts to press and throw into tight spaces and coverage. I think we have the corners. I agree we need better safeties. We've been calling for at least one ball hawking safety for awhile. Time for Santa to bring one.
  18. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,887 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    Um, did you see the coverage Manning was throwing into against the Falcons? It does not take great talent to pick off those passes, only great scheming.
  19. Deep_Freeze

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well, I wasn't specifically talking about the Falcons, just in general that 1 INT in 3 games is pretty pathetic even when you compare it to other teams.
  20. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    And that was from Sean Lee on a muffed catch that flew into the air and into his hands.