1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Tony Romo must be elite now, or else

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gemini Dolly, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,401 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Cowboys' season hinges on QB's ability to find another gear during brutal stretch

By Calvin Watkins |

Forget about last Monday's five-interception game and the stagnant offense for a moment. The Dallas Cowboys' next five weeks rest on the shoulders of quarterback Tony Romo.

Tony Romo needs to put his last performance behind him and focus on a difficult five-week stretch that begins next Sunday in Baltimore.
    It's not about Romo trying to do too much, because he is and should be given credit for trying to make plays within a struggling offense. But the NFL is about results, and Romo's are not good right now.
    Starting Sunday in Baltimore, Romo has to play better than his counterpart at quarterback. He can't afford to be outplayed again, as he was by the Chicago Bears' Jay Cutler that Monday night in Arlington.

If he is, then this season for the Cowboys will become lost.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ty-outplay-formidable-qbs-unforgiving-stretch
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Thats the problem. In his mind he feels he has to be elite to win.
  3. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Romo's been around long enough that I hope he can put this game behind him. They happen to all good QB's. My biggest concern is JG. Does he go into a shell much like the NE game last year where we play just good enough to lose in the final minutes?

The only hope this team has to sniff the playoffs rests on Romo's shoulders. He's not a bus driver meant to lead a conservative offense. Give Dez a few routes where you know he will be and put him in motion. Our O has absolutely no identity and there's nothing unique about it. We fool no one. The bigger issue is JG, IMO.
  4. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,500 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    Well, he does. He certainly doesn't get help from his team.
  5. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,836 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    You are incorrect. It fools our receivers.
  6. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,401 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    I wish Tony could play Alex Smith type of football, but it won't work here.

Unfortunately, it is up to Tony. Good luck.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't have any doubt that Tony will become the Tony we've all come to know and love again. This guy is a great football player and eventually great players will find their stride. After that Detroit debacle and everyone was jumping off his bandwagon he had probably the best 10 week stretch of his career. I think we'll see something similar. Supporting cast needs to be better though. Offensive line needs to protect better and the recievers need to be more consistent.
  8. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,538 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Agreed. Whomever pays these writers to write should spread the wealth. A thesaurus can get any one of us the job these guys do. What's with the obsession with the word "elite"? Can any of these guys articulate an original thought?
  9. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,538 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I hope you're right but Tony like all other statistically successfully QB's only want one thing now and that is to win a SB. If he starts playing tight because he doesn't want to be part of the problem and not part of the solution ... then that, in itself, is a problem.
  10. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    It worked in 2006 with less defensive talent. Stop it. I don't even blame Tony though. I blame Garrett for having piss poor gameplans.
  11. nicoletbren

nicoletbren New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's really a problem. Though, he's a good player.
  12. skicat1898

skicat1898 Member

275 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What exactly was wrong with Garrett's game plan against the Bears? Take away Romo's 5 turnovers and the Cowboys blow the Bears out.

It was more than just 5 turn overs, Romo over threw two sure TDs.

I don't blame Romo entirely for the loss, but he was the major contributor and the game plan was NOT the problem.