1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Tony Romo: Sky's limit if Dez grasps details

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Aug 16
    12:59
    PM CT

By Tim MacMahon

Romo has been encouraged by Bryant’s development since he’s recovered from ankle surgery, including the second-year receiver’s work at player-run offseason workouts and during training camp.

“He’s done good. He comes to work every day,” Romo said. “He wants to be a really, really great receiver and I think it shows when he’s out here. The details [are] what really allows you to take that next step. He’s doing a really good job of that. He just needs to keep doing it and the sky’s the limit.”

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4682171/romo-skys-limit-if-dez-gets-details-down
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    That's what I am most excited about season this year with Dez .. I want to see if he can grasp the finer details of being a great receiver in the NFL. Players like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin knew how to position themselves, how to anticipate the quarterback's throws especially when hot reads and blitzes occurred.

I am hoping that Dez will learn those skills which will make him more fluid in his routes because that will lead to a lot more yards after the catch. It's great that he can out jump and throw defenders off him once he catches the ball, but a lot of that is because he slows a little when the ball is in the air toward him and he is running left/right rather than up/down the field. I would like to see him catch it in stride and then turn up field in those situations and it is much easier to do that if before, during and after the catch, he's keeping a hitch-free fluid motion.

#reality
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    9,773 Likes Received
    That and staying healthy.

He plays so violent that I think it may effect his body as he gets older.
  4. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Media writes a headline to make Romo's positive comments look like veiled criticism. Disgusting.
  5. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    751 Likes Received

If he has to slow down, it's not his fault, the ball was underthrown. Or maybe it is his fault, maybe he's too darn fast. :p:
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    He slows down because he was curving his routes last year rather than cutting them which causes him to get to the spots faster. I think his slowing down though is because he missed most of his last season in college and all of preseason his rookie year in the NFL.

In college, receivers can slow down to focus on catching the ball and still have ample distance between them and the defenders. In the NFL, slowing down on a route simply gives the defenders time to close on the receiver which means instead of being able to take off running immediately after the catch, Dez was having to throw defenders off of him. While that's impressive to watch it allows other defenders to get to him and also increases his chances for injuries. It's exactly why I suspect Garrett dialed up a lot of quick outs to him last year hoping to get the ball to him before the defenders could reach him and also had him run a lot of down the field routes so he could take advantage of his speed against defenders.

He has all of the tools to be great, that is why I am looking forward to watching him this year to see how much improvement he makes over last year. Given how long he had been out of football counting last year's preseason, he was amazing last year. I hope this season we will see him get even better.

#reality
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Just stay healthy.
  8. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,143 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    Whaaa? How was the headline negative?
  9. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo said (to paraphrase) "Dez is grasping the details; if he continues, sky's the limit"

You don't see how the headline could be interpreted that Romo is saying sky would be the limit IF/WHEN Bryant grasps the details?

That headline was written that way to get a click from fans and haters.
  10. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,143 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    No I really don't. Romo said if Dez grasps the details, which he has started to do but obviously is not finished doing, then the sky is the limit. Romo is pretty explicit that Dez need to keep doing that, implying that he is not a finished product.

I don't see a problem at all with the headline.
  11. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    i hate it. :mad:
  12. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,192 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I wonder if Michael Irvin is still mentoring him?
  13. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    don't know.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    When. Not if, when.
  15. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Yup, some of that stuff can be learned. But in Irvin's case with his hand checking and little pushoffs right before the ball got there, that's just him. It's a guy who wanted to be great and did what it took to get there. More of a survival instinct than anything that was actually taught.

But whatever, Dez doesn't seem to have any problem being the one who comes up with the ball in close quarters. So yeah, timing, route running, all that can be learned through practice, he's already got the whole coming up with the ball thing down pat.
  16. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez needs to develop a refined game...