1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Troy Aikman's theory: Garrett lost track of timeouts

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 9, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,301 Likes Received
    Dec 9
    8:00
    AM CT
    By Tim MacMahon

Troy Aikman has qualified as a trusted friend of Jason Garrett since their days together in the Valley Ranch quarterbacks room.

But Aikman isn’t even buying Garrett’s explanation about the clock-management gaffe in Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals.

Garrett insists that he intentionally did not use a timeout after Dez Bryant’s catch for a first down with 26 seconds remaining in regulation. That doesn’t make sense to Aikman.

Read what Aikman says: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...aikmans-theory-garrett-lost-track-of-timeouts
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,807 Messages
    2,635 Likes Received
    When I re-watched the thing, that made sense to me, too. That's the only explanation for clocking it.

And then when they did call a time out before the kick, it was almost like, "Hey, we do have an extra time out, we can use it here."

It's mind-boggling that you could lose track of not just one, but two time outs, though.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,924 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    Well if that's the case it's certainly bad that he lost track, and it would bug the hell out of me to think he really did, but if that's the case then Romo is to blame as well cause he should have known they had 2.

I'm not trying to put any blame anywhere here but if Aikman is going with that thought process then he needs to say that Romo forgot as well cause your QB should always know how many Timeouts you've got.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,517 Messages
    5,245 Likes Received
    I could see that. It'd be pretty embarrassing, though, if that's what happened.

I still think that Garrett's so organized that miscounting a timeout is unlikely. It makes more sense to me that he was just flustered there and blew the opportunity to get the ball in closer.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,517 Messages
    5,245 Likes Received
    It would only be one miscounted TO. You'd want to keep the other one in your pocket in case anything happened to interfere with your ability to get off the kick once you were in range. And the QB is instructed to get the team up to the line to clock it in that situation, regardless. But, yeah, it does look like he either forgot or couldn't decide how to use his extra TO properly there at the end.
  6. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Troy is wrong.

Jason got exactly what he wanted.His only mistake was freezing the kicker.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Troy may be wrong, but freezing the kicker wasn't the only mistake. If it is true that Garrett knew he had 2 TO's he still should have used one immediately after getting the first down. Then he could have calmly chosen to either run another play and get closer, or even if he was worried about turning the ball over he could have Romo take a knee to wind the clock down to just a couple of seconds. In other words, the timeout would have prevented any rushing whatsover, and he still could have chosen to kick the ball from the same spot.
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    I've posted on a thread few days go saying the same thing. If you watch the whole sequence, you can tell JG looks lost out there and somewhat confused and unsure of himself.
  9. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,267 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    He has to be a bit overwhelmed with all the hats he is wearing, especially as a first year head coach. I also think that is why he is slow to get plays into Romo at times. Part of the growing pains, I am sure things will slow down for him as he gets more experienced.
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a reasonable explanation not the one Garrett gave.
  11. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,138 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Makes sense. Sure looked like somebody forgot they had two timeouts. Otherwise, why did Romo and company rush to the line to clock it? Whether you're going to run it down or go for another play, makes no sense to rush down the field and clock it with two timeouts left. You just risk a procedure penalty.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,389 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    Didn't even really clock it.

Just ran to the line and got everyone set an then let it tick a bit.
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's the smoking gun for me. IF you knew you had two TO's remaining AND you did the math in your head and decided running the clock down and taking one shot at a 48 yard FG was the best call........

Then you let Tony hurry up the team to the LOS, but you tell him through his head set TO NOT SNAP THE BALL TO CLOCK IT and risk that procedure penalty......you tell him that you're calling a TO with 5 secs left to make it a one shot deal.
  14. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,806 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    ... and this crap about, "if we would have ran a play we could have lost yards". I agree with ... who was it ... Bill Cowher ... that's a defeatist attitude and mentality. Again, I'm tired of all the talking. Let's just get to the game.
  15. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,189 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    troy don't know what went on, just like we do not know. I''m sure when he made this statement he had not spoken with Garrett.
  16. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,431 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    What has bugged me the most, and I am surprised I haven't heard this is mentioned, is why didn't Tony do a QB sneak and then take a timeout?

To the defense, who is hurrying back, it appears Romo is going to snap and clock the ball, so they aren't likely to be really geared up to make a stop and as a result, he almost assuredly gets 2 yards, maybe even 3 to 5. The only risk I see is if someone isn't set and they get a penalty but I think there's the same risk in clocking the ball. If they thought they only had one time out, then perhaps this is why a sneak was ruled out.