1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Truth is, Jason Garrett made himself look silly

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Chocolate Lab, Jun 20, 2013.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    So you think Garrett and the team handled it well?
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,868 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I personally think he spit the bit. He didn't mess up by not informing the public of the change earlier in the year. He messed up by not acknowledging it after the info was already out. Granted, he was put on blast by his owner, but still that's where I find the error in his handling.

But at one point do you let go of the angst (for lack of a better word) about this perceived issue?

When you're listing pros and cons about the job Garrett's doing? What conclusions do you draw?

I'm solidly in the middle regarding him, but leaning to the plus side, but he still has more to prove in my eyes. This year will tell the tale for me.
  3. stasheroo

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    I'm about where you are but I think I have a bigger issue with this topic. I'm embarrassed for how poorly it was handled all around, but Garrett's stubbornness bothers me the most I think.

But I agree that this year tells the tale, good or bad.
  4. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,555 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Other than the media's desperation leading them to trick Callahan into revealing the answer before training camp, absolutely!

Bill Belichick is more tight-lipped than any coach out there, yet he's the gold standard of coaching styles to most fans and the media. Jerry usually blabs too much about internal decisions and processes only to have fans whine "I just wish Jerry would shut up!" and the one time he was able to keep his mouth shut for a few months during the OFF-SEASON, fans and the media became obsessed over finding out something that was irrelevant outside the Cowboys organization until pre-season gets here.

For most fans, it comes down to this .. If you hate Jerry, Garrett, etc. then you want them to shut up unless they are saying something you want to hear. If they are going to say or confirm something you don't want to hear, they should keep their mouth shut.

I don't have the agendas or the attachments most fans do. I like Jerry the owner but I hate Jerry the GM. I would LOVE for us to get a real GM. I like Garrett because he's a former Cowboys player and I would love for him to be successful, but I am not sold on him being the solution at this point. If Jerry had replaced him after last season I would not be upset nor am I upset that he's still here for this season. If we do not do much better this year, regardless of injuries, I will be ready for a new head coach for next season.

I don't pick sides when it comes to players and coaches, because I have learned over time that the only thing that matters to fans is what you did last season. Most fans let the media dictate who they like, who they hate and who they want.

/reality
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,868 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    And I guess this is where we differ. I don't have any feelings about it one way or the other and recommend that you should let go of it, because JG's stubborness is directly in proportion to try to somehow maintain control in the face of Jerry Jones runaway mouth at times.

JG isn't Parcells to where he can put a clamp on Jerry Jones mouth. But he's also not Wade as it pertains to handling the media either. Wade is a good guy, and on game day wasn't a bad coach (roster building is another topic altogether), but the media ate him alive. The fact that Calvin Watkins felt comfortable enough to say he could coach the team better says it all, IMO.
  6. Reality

11,555 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    .. and that is exactly the point I made earlier in this thread. Fans and the media got upset because they couldn't get an answer to a question that is irrelevant during the off-season.

The reality tv fan base is so used to being able to see every behind-the-scenes detail of people's live that they are actually shocked when they do not have that access.

The really funny thing is if Tom Landry was alive and the head coach of the Cowboys today, you would get way less information than Garrett gives, yet many NFL fans consider him one of the best coaches ever. Heck, even Belichick refuses to share information and he's the so-called "genius". I guess as long as you like the guy, it's okay. If you dislike the guy, agendas kick in everything from what he eats for breakfast to how many times he says the word "process" becomes the bane of some people's existence.

/reality
  7. Reality

11,555 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    That's it exactly! Coaches like Wade, who are good guys and really want to be liked by the media and fans, try the more personable/friendly approach which opens them up to heavy scrutiny the moment things go wrong.

You look at the best coaches in the league and you will see guys who don't bend over to the media or the fans. They are being paid to win and their careers and employment will be based on that, not how well they are liked by the fans and media. You can dislike Garrett for back-to-back 8-8 seasons and be well justified. Getting upset over his refusal to name a play caller in March, April, etc. is nothing more than yet another reason to gripe about something.

/reality
  8. stasheroo

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Sounds like we agree on a lot more things than we disagree on.
  9. stasheroo

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    I'm not fixating on it and only commented when the topic was brought up again.

As I said earlier, I'm more concerned with being happy about the end results.

Hopefully it improves our end results during the season as well.
  10. stasheroo

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    I think irrelevant is a matter of opinion.

Has there been the same example of Belichick refusing to acknowledge who was coaching a certain part of the team?
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,977 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    The team, which includes Jason, did not handle it well IMO.

You don't have to agree with me. But Jason said it himself...

“The area where we didn’t do a very good job – and I take full responsibility – is just being on the same page with the communication of that publicly. It came out last week and just to clarify it, those are the roles we are going to have.”
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Not coaching, that I know of offhand, but it was pretty amusing hearing him refuse to answer what position Tim Tebow would be playing in his press conference two weeks ago.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,977 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    I have only seen a few of his PCs and of those I can say that I have never found him amusing in a PC. I find him incredibly boring and monotone and think he has earned the nickname Coach Mumbles because of it.

It does not make a better or worse coach if one does not give anything away in a PC or not. However I do indeed miss PCs with The Tuna because no matter the topic it was always interesting in how he would interact with the press.

Now with someone like Jason I find it pretty boring unless he actually talks instead of just using his normal everyday cliches to get out of stuff. I can only take it's a process and we are getting better every day lines so much. Again it does not make him a bad coach, does not mean he does a bad job at PCs...they are just boring compared to someone like the Tuna.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,293 Messages
    1,764 Likes Received
    I have to say I always like thread that start with Truth is. Truth or opinion? vast majority of the time what is thrown out as truth is really nothing more than one persons opinion
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,490 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Very true! :laugh2:

Truth is, Little Timmy McMahon, no one cares but the media.
  16. Doomsday101

75,293 Messages
    1,764 Likes Received
    Now days so many do not know the difference between truth and opinion.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,977 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    Is that the truth or just your opinion? ;) :p:
  18. Doomsday101

75,293 Messages
    1,764 Likes Received
    a bit of both. :laugh2:
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Not sure he's intentionally being funny. He might be. What he's saying is always as dry as a popcorn-fart, but it amuses me to watch him give so little, and to be so dry about giving even that, while the press is absolutely clamoring for scraps. 'What position is he going to play?' for example. That's a pretty straightforward question. If you're not going to answer even that, there's hardly a point of doing a conference. For example, in talking about Tebow's strengths:

Thanks, coach, for all the great quotes.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,753 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    If I were he and felt that the plan was something that should be kept in house then I would have been forthright with the media.

I would have told them that we do have a plan. That I was not going to tell them just like I wasn't going to hand them the playbook, let them listen in to the headsets during the game, or let them watch every practice.

Team strategy as a whole should be kept in house. That is straight from Sun Tzu and the entirety of military history. The command structure is the vey heart of that.

Garrett's issue is that he was not direct and tried to him and haw. I attribute that to Jones to an extent. Tip toeing around that has to be difficult. That being said, he was righteous in what he wanted.