1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Truth is, Jason Garrett made himself look silly

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Chocolate Lab, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    This. My ONLY complaint about Garrett to date is his wishy-washiness on this subject. I like your Sun Tzu reference, btw! :bow: .
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,524 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    Bill Callahan was hired last year as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. His title and position have not changed. He's simply getting more responsibilities. The public announcement or acknowledgment of added or removed responsibilities is not important to the general public or media during the off-season. The only people who are upset over it are people who either already had a dislike of Jerry and/or Garrett or people who are looking for a reason to complain.

The really interesting aspect to this is that many of the people who are emotionally distraught even now over not knowing the answer 3 months ago are the ones who were loudly complaining they wanted play-calling removed from Garrett. In other words, they got what they want and they are still complaining which has become tiresome at this point.

It's like a kid who complains to his dad, "Dad, buy me a toy!" repeatedly and then a week later when his dad buys him a toy, the kid is mad because he didn't get it a week ago. The ironic part is that I am glad someone else is calling plays.

/reality
  3. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,205 Messages
    226 Likes Received

I absolutely loathe the media(most of them anyway), most have crossed that line from being truth-finders and valued reporters to being purveyors of half-truths and fictions that serve their own narrative. They've never met a molehill they couldn't spin into a scandal for the unwashed masses to lap up.
  4. Avenger

Avenger Member

212 Messages
    17 Likes Received

Although he hides it well, I believe Garrett has nothing but contempt for the majority of the Dallas media... and this ridiculously late piece by Tim MacMahon is one reason why.

They're hacks, who in the absence of actual news... will create it.

I despise them as well.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,524 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    Exactly! Not too long ago I remember reading an article where it reminded me of years ago when the media actually reported real news. It gave details about our draft picks and other players in the OTAs. It was just a really informative article.

Most of the stuff we get these days are nothing more than reporters throwing a tantrum or writing yet another article on a story that was a non-story weeks or months ago.

Tell us about the players. I don't care if it's boring or not as long as after reading the article, we know something we didn't know before reading it. I want to know how injured players are progressing. I don't care if it's a "little better, still working on it" response. I want to know what the coaches are doing with Kyle Orton to improve his play given his widely publicized poor practices recently. I would even like to know who's coming in every day early and leaving late. I would like to know how every single draft pick is performing after every practice and what their position coaches think of each of them regularly, not just one time. I want to know how the players are taking to the new coaches.

I want real information. Not hyperbole and definitely not the same old rehashed crappy story lines.

/reality
  6. Zimmy Lives

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    I called the ESPN mediots clowns a few weeks ago but "hacks" will do just fine. :D
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    You should call them hacks, clowns are more respectable and entertaining. :laugh2:
  8. Zimmy Lives

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Very true! :laugh2:
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,146 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    Again, I think you're injecting your opinion of what is and isn't important to others.

It was important to me.

And as I have said, I am happy they made the change as well. But it doesn't change my opinion that things were mishandled.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,080 Messages
    3,992 Likes Received
    The thing is, it's entirely possible that the actual decision isn't made yet. They may be 95% sure that whatever they end up doing, it's going to including having Callahan up in the booth calling the plays in to Tony's headset. But perhaps they want to test a few different options in camp before deciding exactly how they want it handled.

Now, perhaps we assume--because Jason's not an actual idiot--than they know better than to announce anything about the process to the press until they've decided how they're going to handle every aspect of the process. Can you imagine the circus act if we later decide to have Jason call the plays, after all? Even if the likelihood of that happening was less than a 2% chance, we'd have two weeks of Jason v. Jerry, Jason undermining Callahan, this team not knowing where it's going, etc. You know we would.

So, instead of this being a decision the head coach is allowed to make over time in camp as he sorts through his options, we get a false deadline for making a decision without complete information. We get an owner to lets it slip, and a HC who has to apologize for not getting what he wanted in the first place, and then two more weeks of talking about it. Why? Because some fans want to know what's likely to happen, and they think they're entitled to know, now. It's silly.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,193 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    The reality is that garrett made himself look like a powerless idiot by his own poor handling of the situation
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,340 Messages
    2,893 Likes Received
    99% of the problem right there.
  13. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, I agree that it was the media that tried hard to make Garrett look silly in order to have a pseudo-controversial story to sell. Its a case in point with ,this article now. As this stiry has all buy died down, here comes Mosley with a silly attempt to resurrect it.