1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Unfair to compare Brent, Hernandez situations

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,467 Messages
    3,305 Likes Received
    Jun 26
    11:00
    AM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com
    It took the New England Patriots roughly six minutes to release Aaron Hernandez after the tight end’s arrest stemming from a homicide investigation.

Josh Brent is still on the Cowboys’ roster more than six months after the nose tackle’s arrest for intoxication manslaughter.

It’s natural for folks to compare the way the Patriots and Cowboys dealt with the arrested players, but this is far from an apples vs. apples case.

The dead man’s mother in New England isn’t publicly pleading with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick to do everything in their power to help Hernandez. Stacey Jackson, the mother of deceased Cowboys practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown, made it as clear as possible how important it was to her that the Cowboys not abandon her son’s best friend after Brent’s deadly, grievous judgment error.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb.../unfair-to-compare-brent-hernandez-situations
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,915 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    Lol. I have to admit, I didn't read any more than the blurb, but I think I can safely say that that article was idiotic.

What happened to MacMahaon, anyway? I used to really like him.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,467 Messages
    3,305 Likes Received
    Never was a fan... Thought he was trying too hard to maintain the Matt Mosley schtick that he originated back on the DMN, and he failed.

re: this article. Right after AH was arrested, you had a lot of folks praising the Pats for their actions and slamming the Cowboys for not doing the same with Brent and to a lesser extent, Ratliff. This is just a reactionary piece.
  4. Idgit

27,915 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    You know, I clicked and read, after all. I jumped to exactly the wrong conclusion on this one. Still a dumb article, but it wasn't saying what I thought it was saying. I agree, this is pretty much an obligatory piece with Hernandez cut.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I'm guilty of comparing the two. I liked the way the Patriots have handled the situation and hated the way we've handled Brent.

But a more apt comparison is how NE treated Donte Stallworth. He wasn't with the Patriots when he was charged with DUI manslaughter charges, but they picked him up AFTER he had been suspended for the 2009 season for a second tenure with the team (albeit very brief).

So I myself will drop the comparison between Brent and Hernandez. In a more accurate comparison, the Pats were no 'better' than us.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Jerruh is sometimes a little too nice. He let the moms sob story I bet get to him.
    Brent should have been cut right away

bottom line is that he is RESPONSIBLE for a team mates death. That and his prior problems should have been more than enough
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,485 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    I suspect that's largely a cover. They kept him around because they thought he could still help them on the field.
  8. Idgit

27,915 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    That same teammate, remember, got into a car with a drunk driver and wasn't wearing a seatbelt. This was a stupid act by two young men, not a malicious one. That can, and should, make a huge difference in determining whether or not to keep a guy on a roster.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    The difference is that the Cowboys didn't have Hernandez on their draft board in the first place. The guy had all kinds of red flags for not being a good guy to invest in.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Well, I mean... Brent had a DUI prior to being picked up by the Cowboys in the supplemental draft. I don't see how that aspect is not directly comparable.
  11. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,548 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Brent is guilty of ignorance and bad decision making. There was no malice of forethought. There was a lack or forethought. Hernandez was arrested in a case where somebody was outright murdered. Regardless of whether you think Brent should have been released or not (I'm not making a case for against) the two situations are not comparable.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,360 Messages
    765 Likes Received
    Yea I don't think Brent should be on the team but there is no comparison between the two. Brent didn't have it in his heart to kill somebody.
  13. Idgit

27,915 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    I think this is a reasonable take. I'd still keep Brent, because he's valuable, and I think he basically has a problem more than is a problem, if that makes sense. But I understand why people think a clean slate would be best at this point, too.
    pancakeman likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,611 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    It is unfair to compare the two - one is a loser of epic proportions and the other is a loser with a drinking/drug habit.

Regardless, they are both a waste of time.