1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Welcome to the NFL, Terrance Williams

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 23, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,656 Messages
    4,781 Likes Received
    Jul 23
    12:30
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – It was a rough day for rookie receiver Terrance Williams.

Tight end Jason Witten yelled at the third-round pick after Williams dropped a pass across the middle. Cornerback Morris Claiborne gave him an extra little shove after breaking up another pass. And head coach Jason Garrett singled out Williams when he couldn’t get open against Brandon Carr’s press coverage.

“You gotta win, 83!” Garrett shouted loud enough for everyone around the practice field to hear. “He’s winning! He’s kickin’ the crap outta you!”

The challenge for Williams is to keep his head up and learn from the kind of day he’d like to forget.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4710516/welcome-to-the-nfl-terrance-williams
  2. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    He's a playmaker, but when do we get concerned with those drops?
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,975 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Surely not his first week in the NFL.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,579 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Yeah, whenever the point to begin to worry is, we can safely say it isn't in week 1 of his first training camp.
    pancakeman likes this.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    I'm not concerned, he's going through learning pains right now... I expect to see him get better as training goes along.
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,274 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    People won't like it but TO had arguably a HoF career and he had terrible hands. Dropping passes here and there while it will hurt, doesn't mean he won't productive.
  7. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

990 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I remember a lot of people wanting Dez cut because of his early drops...
    nake likes this.
  8. onetrickpony

onetrickpony Member

721 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Lots of young receivers think too much which causes drops. He's got to work thru it, but its not time to bail on him.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,007 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    It does if youre competing to be, at best, the 5th option in an offense.

Dez, Miles, Witt, Murray will all get their touches, which means secondary guys, like Williams, arent going to get a ton of opportunities. If he drops balls in games, he wont do anything.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    Too early to be concerned with Williams. What I love is the fact that guys are getting after each other when they screw up and that Garrett is calling them out. Williams is a good young WR he will learn from all of this.
    djmajestik likes this.
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,147 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Welcome to the NFL? After a couple of practices?

Re-title this McMahon. You aren't that cool.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,698 Messages
    3,919 Likes Received
    Still find this pretty unbelievable.
  13. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Me too. The FO had him 23rd on the entire board? Jerry's two decade pathetic drafting history looks to add yet another chapter.
  14. Carl23

Carl23 Member

272 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I know. I watched every highlight video of him that I could find and I still cannot remember him breaking a single tackle. He's a taller version of Kevin Williams from the 90's. Of all of our draft picks, he is the one I like the least (with Escobar coming in at a distant 2nd).
    newlander and CyberB0b like this.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,239 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    Never forget Jerry Rice saying that he nearly quit after his first season it was such a disaster. No way he's becoming Jerry Rice, just saying even the great ones had big problems in the beginning of their career unless you're Randy Moss.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    I like the pick of Williams as far as how he is doing after a week of camp in his rookie year? excuse me if I'm not claiming him a bust at this time. lol

He is making mistake, I kind of expect mistakes by rookies. Camp is part of learning for young players
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,545 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    His drops will probably get worse as he concentrates on getting better at beating the press, reading NFL Coverages, learning the playbook, etc...

And I'm fine with that, as long as he continues to progress. Once he's got those other things down, he can go back to concentrating on catching the ball.

THat said, he can't drop TOO many or else he's useless to the team.
  18. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,975 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Well, the way I figure it, his college resume suggests the guy can be a play maker. And with Austin's history of leg issues, they may give this guy a little more of a look-see than normal.

But then I am a fan, so with that sage comment and a loan from a bank you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
  19. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I agree....don't get this pick at ALL and think he'll be a JAG at best.
  20. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I have watched at least two highlight reels of him and should be considered a top authority on this subject. After careful study of these tapes and consideration of both sides of this debate, I have reached my conclusion. This guy is a bust. Not quick enough, not strong enough, and most importantly, not tough enough. Decent straight line speed, yes, but that's probably the least important trait for true success. This guy is going to get jacked at the LOS every play and doesn't have the ability to fight through it.

On the other hand, that guy throwing him the ball in his highlight reels, I think he was #10? Griffith III or Griswald III, something like that? Couldn't quite read the name on the back of his jersey. Now that guy could be quite a player some day. We should get him.
    Wheeltax likes this.