1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Why did Rob Ryan slam his headset?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 17, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,343 Likes Received
    Oct 16
    9:57
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan hollered at officials after the third time the Cowboys were called for 12 men on the field, including one penalty that the Patriots declined.

“The rule is, is they substitute, they have to give us the opportunity to substitute,” Garrett said. “That happened and we were in the no-huddle [on offense] and they certainly did a very good job on their end making sure were couldn’t snap the ball when they were changing personnel. So we are confident the officials were trying to call it equally on both sides.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4685219/why-did-rob-ryan-slam-his-headset
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,678 Messages
    1,246 Likes Received
    I noticed this during the game actually .. I mean not Ryan getting upset but the actual weird officiating.

When the Cowboys went no huddle, the referees would stand over the ball giving the Patriots time to get set but when the Cowboys were on defense, they would put the ball down and run out of the way barely giving the defense a chance to line up.

I know about the substitution for both sides rule, but I noticed a few times that when Dallas went no huddle, they made no substitutions yet the referees still stood over the ball giving the Patriots time to line up.

#reality
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I noticed that also
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    I normally do not have a problem with the refs but there were a few plays that angered me. 1 was exactly what you guys are talking about. 2nd was the roughing call on Brady and 3rd was the running into the kicker. On the running into the kicker at 1st I thought Spencer had hit the punter on replay he did not even touch the guy
  5. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The rule is the defense is allowed to substitute on no huddle to match the offense subs. Not seeing what happened there but understand anger from coach.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,636 Messages
    2,017 Likes Received
    There was an early holding call that fell into the category of NO WAY it was a hold.

I though Brady was very close to being in the grasp on that 3rd down conversion too.

7. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He didn't touch the punter. The punter put on an Oscar winning performance. I wish McBriar would learn how to do that.
  8. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    There was also a grounding call on Brady that wasn't called. He was in the pocket and didn't get the ball to the LOS and there wasn't a wr within 5 yds of the ball.
  9. dueyhemlock

dueyhemlock Hog Hunter

988 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yeah the ball placement and waiting for their D to setup was very one sided. Aikman even made a comment about their no-huddle speed, "I've never seen a no-huddle ran this fast before" or something like that.

I liked the missed call on Rat's play where he shot up the middle between the center and guard. Both linemen elevaded their inside legs (tripping) Rat as he shot by them. He would have planted Brady.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Oh well. At this point in your lives are you really surprised that refs blow some calls? It happens in every single game, every single week. Always has and it always will.
  11. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,463 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    the refs was on the patriots side all the way. They was watching us like a hawk and the no huddle crap basically showed us.

I notice the refs run out the way after they placed the ball down but actually waited until the patriots defense get set when we ran our no huddle. Even my girlfriend seen that. She was like why is the ref in the way when we are rushing but not in the patriots way.

It doesn't matter away or home the refs always do us dirty.
  12. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The refs didn't have the benefit of replay. I was screaming at Spencer on the roughing call myself until I saw the replay, but even after seeing how little, if any, contact there was, that doesn't change the fact that Spencer should have never even been close. I certainly understand how it looked when it happened, and the fact is it was stupid football, pure and simple. Same with the roughing. Again, not really as much contact as I originally thought, but it never should have happened where there was a question. In today's NFL that is a penalty the refs are instructed to call.
  13. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We were substituting on offense, and the refs have to allow the defense a chance to substitute as well. When the Pats had the ball they were not substituting, therefore the refs were not obligated to allow the Cowboys time to substitute.
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    There is a difference between blowing calls and on sided officiating. The whole no huddle thing is a perfect example. That is purposely tilting the field. I have said for a long time that the league should hire full time refs instead of this part time crap.

I would also make their pay structure subject to annual review based on thier ability to call games.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess you have chosen to ignore some of the posts explaining that things were not being apples to apples between when we went no huddle and when they went no huddle. We were substituting on offense, which obligated the refs to allow NE to substitute on defense, whereas NE was not substituting, which meant the refs were not obligated to allow Dallas to substitute.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Is this true? It sure looked like he hit him in real-time.
  17. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he touched him it was very slight, but it took slow motion from just the right angle to see it. In real time it looked like a no brainer that he hit the punter.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    I thought the same thing, that he definitely hit him. But so many people have said that he either barely touched him or didn't hit him at all... Guess I missed that somehow.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Spencer pretty clearly ran into the kicker. He certainly didn't hit him hard, but that was almost the frustrating about it. I can understand running into the kicker when you're going all out and just barely miss blocking the kick and your momentum carries you into him. Spencer gave a half hearted effort on a weaksauce outside rush and then put his brain on auto pilot and kept running towards him until he ran into him.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    That's what I thought, too, and it's a maddening example of the mental errors that add up to get us beat. It was basically a turnover.