1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Will the Cowboys simplify the defense?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 16, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,481 Likes Received
    Dec 16
    10:00
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- Last year players felt Wade Phillips’ scheme became too predictable. Now there are calls – though not from the players – that Rob Ryan’s scheme is too complex considering the communication breakdowns at critical moments this season.

Ryan seemed to indicate he will scale back on the complexity.

“Look, I like to stretch the envelope about as far as I can stretch it mentally demanding on our players but if there are some problems and it doesn’t work I’ve got to tone back,” Ryan said. “That’s the hardest thing for me to do, but it’s something that has to be done. And we’re going to do that. I’ve got better players than everybody else and that’s just a fact. For us not to execute and statistically we’re garbage, well, when you give up 500 yards to somebody you’re going to be garbage. You know, and that’s the way it is. But we’ve done a lot of really good things this year also. But our players are there. We just have to do a better job of getting everybody to play together.”

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4688275/will-the-cowboys-simplify-the-defense
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What happened w/ this defense? They were playing very well to start the year and then the wheels came off about game 5.

Unbelievable how bad our defense is now compared at the start of the season.

/shakeshead
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I think Ryan started putting in more than they could handle. We will see. What I have been asking for it appears he is going to do which is dial back the defensive play calling.