1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: espndallas:Is Martellus Bennett finally ready to break out?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Aug 5, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...out?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    August, 5, 2011 Aug 512:45PM CTEmail Print Comments1 By Tim MacMahonSAN ANTONIO – Martellus Bennett making plays in the Alamodome is nothing new.

The big tight end was the star of training camp two years ago, seeming to make at least one spectacular catcher per practice. That prompted anticipation that he was on the verge of blossoming into a major weapon for the Cowboys’ passing game.
  2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    He has never done it before in his life ... therefore i predict no ... he wont do it.
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,036 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    It's pretty tough for somebody to break out when the guy ahead of you is catching 90 passes for 1,000 yards every year. The TE position gets so many opportunities and Witten gets almost all of them.

For Bennett to break out, he needs to go elsewhere IMO. You can't break out when there is a future Hall of Famer in his prime in front of you.
  4. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    He won't have the "breakout" everyone wants because of one person. Jason Witten. I don't understand what people do not get about this situation.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Last year he played pretty well for the opportunities given. He had to stay in to pass block on Colombo's side so that Witten could be an impact in the passing game. On TDs, Witten has had years where he didn't catch many at all. I don't think that was his fault, rather he wasn't getting his number called.
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,208 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    I predict phillips will almost equal Marty b is catches and be more productive overall.
  7. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Beat me to it.
  8. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    2 words........ John Phillips.

[IMG]
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We've been saying that for the last three years. I'll believe it when I see it. Besides it's gonna be very difficult for him to breakout considering the fact he is playing next to the top tight end in football in Jason Witten.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,565 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Bennett and Ogletree are immature. If we must keep them, let them play through their contract year, when they will have some sudden improvement, then let them go.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    I predict he will be doing it from the h-back/fb position.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,428 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    I understand that your going to get limited oppertunities when you are the 2nd TE that features a TE like Witten. One thing I would like to see in Bennett this year is becoming a bigger factor in the redzone offense.
  13. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,036 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I have understood people slamming Bennett about his immaturity. But I've never understood people getting on him about lack of productivity. What do people expect? 60 catches? 70 catches? The only way Bennett gets those numbers is if Witten gets hurt. Otherwise, 30 catches or so is all you're gonna get.
  14. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    If they decide to go with Bennett over Ogletree as the 4th option I see no reason why he can't have a career year. He should be able to get Roy Williams type numbers. 3 catches a game is not that hard to do.
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    That is more on the coaches and play calling than it is on Bennett. You can't catch TDs if you aren't on the field or are only asked to block.
  16. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,036 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    This I can agree with. Bennett needs to use his size and athletic ability to his advantage better than in the past, especially near the goal line.
  17. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    MartyB threads are so predictable.
  18. Merlin

Merlin Member

362 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is a great target, the coaching staff has to utilize him better especially in the red zone. He is tall and athletic. It would be interesting to see what he could do if he wasn't playing behind Witten. Hopefully, this coaching staff will utilize his skills better. Not to mention that he is a great blocker. He is a keeper.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,428 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    No you can't but I do know when opportunity presents itself you have to make the most of it to get more opportunities. More big plays you make the higher the probability that coaches will call your number more often.
  20. McCordsville Cowboy

McCordsville Cowboy Pro-Quinn

4,315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You cant "break out" when an All-Pro is playing in front of you.