1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPNDallas: Laurent Robinson's agent thinks client is a big target

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Laurent Robinson's agent thinks client is a big target

By Calvin Watkins
    Wide receiver Laurent Robinson will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13 opening his services to the highest bidder. In 2011, Robinson led the Cowboys with 11 touchdown receptions and became a trusted target for quarterback Tony Romo.

During one stretch, Robinson caught a touchdown pass in five consecutive games.

With depth lacking at wide receiver behind Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, the Cowboys have a tremendous need to take care of Robinson long-term.

But Robinson might be a highly-sought after receiver from several teams in need of a quick receiver with good hands.

Read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...obinsons-agent-thinks-client-is-a-big-target?
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I can't see not resigning him
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys will find a way to get Robinson signed.
  4. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,719 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Agreed

I'm just worried it will be a crazy contract.
  5. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    I hope it will be a fair contract to the Cowboys and Robinson.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    I think he deserves money in the neighborhood of Dez Bryant's rookie deal.

He won't get Miles Austin money until he makes a pro bowl.
  7. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    It's a deep FA market for WRs. Robinson shouldn't be able to command crazy FA money. We will probably slightly overpay and keep him.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    This.

There are free agents available with better resumes as long as they make it to the open market. Why would anyone pay Robinson big money when they can do the same for a proven commodity?
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,211 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    i don't know of many agents that would say otherwise. given that i love what he did and i hope he stays. i'm pretty sure we all do.

but i also don't wanna go crazy and offer up mad money when during his entire career it doesn't warrant it.
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,465 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    i would like to see him stay but only at the right price

he is a #3 people, and benefited hugely from playing opposite austin and Dez and from having a top QB throw him the ball
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I actually see a team like NE going after him.

I could also see SF and NO liking him in there offense.
  12. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    I would agree if not for the fact Miles missed time this year. Robinson was not just a #3 WR benifeting off others.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He was probably our most consistent WR last season. He and Romo just clicked in the passing game. Seems like Romo trusts him. Romo and R Williams, for example, couldn't get this type of timing down even after a full off-season.
  14. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,223 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Am I the only one that is slightly annoyed at the prospect of him trying to gauge us after we took him off the street (twice) and gave him a golden opportunity? I agree that he should get a fair contract, but the posturing and hyping by his agent irritates me.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,465 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    he was always a 3 behind witten and either dez or austin or both
  16. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    He is an agent his job is to do the best he can for his client if he did not do that he would not be much of an agent. We know Robinson wants to be back and I think Dallas will try to work with his agent to get him a fair deal.
  17. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    I guess between March 5th and March 13th we will know Robinson fate in Dallas since teams can start signing their own FA on March 5th and outside FA on the 13th
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,211 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    i think it worked out well for both parties. he should get some good coin and a fair offer, and hopefully that's all he's after. if he thinks he can "do it again" then put some incentive clauses in the contract.

i can see "slightly annoyed" but it's business.
  19. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I see this as an instance where Robinson and his agent better highly consider the fact that Robinson finally has a QB who he has good chemistry with. He can go and sign a higher dollar contract and be very average like he was because there is no chemistry betwwen him and his new QB. Or he can do what it takes to get a respectable contract with the Cowboys and be a force on the field.... with Romo.

So I don;t think his agent would be doing Robinson any favors by forcing a "highest-bidder-wins" situation for Robinson. They really need to look at the whole picture. Romo and Robinson click very well.

20. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We shouldn't overpay for his services.