1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPNDallas: Ranking the Cowboys at season's end

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,714 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    By Calvin Watkins
    ESPNDallas.com

The Cowboys finished 8-8 and missed the postseason for the second consecutive season. After a season like that, with five fourth-quarter leads blown, struggles in the secondary and injuries to key starters, roster changes are expected.

With that, we rank the 53-man roster heading into the offseason. (The rankings are based on 2011 performance and expectations and future potential. Players must have played a minimum of five games and currently be on the team to be ranked.)

Top 10

DeMarcus Ware continues to be the most complete player on the team -- he finished second in the NFL with 19.5 sacks -- but Sean Lee is emerging as a talented player with a bright future. Lee finished with 105 total tackles in his second season. Right tackle Tyron Smith and running back DeMarco Murray provided the Cowboys with a solid draft class, one of their best in quite a while.

1. DeMarcus Ware, OLB
    2. Sean Lee, ILB
    3. Tony Romo, QB
    4. Jay Ratliff, NT
    5. Tyron Smith, OT
    6. Miles Austin, WR
    7. Jason Witten, TE
    8. DeMarco Murray, RB
    9. Dez Bryant, WR
    10. Mike Jenkins, CB

Nos. 11-20

Laurent Robinson (left) led the team with 11 touchdown receptions and places the Cowboys in an interesting situation for the offseason regarding his contract status. Should they sign him? And if so, how much do they pay? Dan Bailey finished ninth in the NFL by converting 86.5 percent of his field goal tries and might give the team comfort for the future. Doug Free struggled and a position switch is in the future.

11. Laurent Robinson, WR
    12. Dan Bailey, PK
    13. Jason Hatcher, DE
    14. Gerald Sensabaugh, FS
    15. Doug Free, LT
    16. Anthony Spencer, OLB
    17. Kyle Kosier, G
    18. Marcus Spears, DE
    19. Felix Jones, RB
    20. Abram Elam, SS

Rest - http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ranks-dallas-cowboys-roster-heading-offseason
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,714 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    Tyron already top 5.

I wonder how many people agree with that.
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo @ #3 is a joke. Wouldn't expect any less from Watkins.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,990 Messages
    1,876 Likes Received

I agree with that.

But look at where Sean Lee is...

I'm sure that surprises a few folks. :)
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,093 Messages
    968 Likes Received
    I'd actually put him one spot higher.

I wasn't impressed with Ratliff's 2011 season.
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,980 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I think you could argue that Romo needs to be No. 1. However, if seen another way, Romo wasn't the problem for the Cowboys down the stretch. The defense was. I think Ware and Lee did more to keep games from really being a blowout than Romo, if that makes sense.

Or seen another way, remove Ware and Lee from this defense and we're back to where we were when Wade was on his last leg in Dallas. I think the fact that Kitna did well down the stretch last year tends to diminish Romo's value.

Again, not saying that he isn't as valueable. I too believe the Cowboys aren't in many games without him. But I think biggest issue with the Cowboys was defense, and if not for Ware and Lee, Romo's chucking it on every play just to keep up with the opponent.

BTW, I was surprised to see Miles Austin at # 6. :huh: