1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Everything is lining up nicely (encouraged)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bleu Star, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    Rob is gone.. YAY.. Next.... Let's not get too caught up in mourning over that gimmick defense.

Now.. Let's see some real action. I will say Jerry has managed to skillfully keep all eyes on Dallas with a couple of media nuggets.

1. The Doug Free news hits the grapevine. As much as I propped Doug, I will say it is time to move on. At the RT position, you need someone that is steady and reliable. Parnell has exhibited the traits you need to see at the tackle position and I look forward to seeing what an offseason of seasoning will do for him. Add to the mix a draft pick and you are cooking at the tackle position. I don't know what happened to Doug but he regressed at a fascinating pace since the move to RT. Strange considering RT was his natural position in college.. Later Doug.. Yet another that falls to the "got paid and coasting" storyline.

2. The relief of the RB coach Skip Peete. Well, if you consider the fact that our ground game has been pretty much worthy of an appearance on a milk carton all year, you know someone had to go. It wasn't going to be Callahan. So the fall guy went down.

What will be next? Hmm... ;) There is one thing we can all agree on and something I expected since the clock struck zero in DC. Jerry was not going to rest on his laurels. This is beautiful and highly encouraging.

The one remaining move I would fully expect and love to see happen is the naming of someone else to call plays from the booth to make JG a true walk around strategic HC. Then, and only then, will we be ready tto attack the draft. I love what is happening right now!
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,133 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    I hate every player who receives a new contract and fails to live up to it being labeled this way. I have never seen any indication that Free was "coasting." What I saw was a tackle that pass rushers figured out how to beat. A tackle who lost confidence and thus did not trust in his natural abilities, getting out of position, holding, false-starting, etc. He worked hard, he tried hard and by all accounts, he was a leader on the offensive line.

Maybe someone can turn Free back around, but right now, he is just a frustrated tackle who's lost his way.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Amen. Everyone around the team from media people to former teammates have said that Doug works harder than anyone. He didn't get lazy because he got paid.
  4. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    320 Likes Received

I agree. I think it's an absurd and lazy narrative that fans attach to players and to teams.

Guys who have the competitive make-up to get to the NFL? I imagine in truth there are very few instances where players are "coasting" "resting on their laurels" "underperforming" "over-confident, etc. etc."

These fan conclusions 95% of the time are just drivel.

The real narrative is that Free just isn't good enough compared to the guys across from him.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Uh...OK.

I just see proof that a crazy, old, addled, part-time, GM...getting crazier, older, more addled.

This is just one more Jerry Jones train-wreck.
  6. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,143 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    Scapegoat firings. I don't know if I should be happy about that.
  7. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    Alright.. Alright.. Before you guys decapitate me over that comment, let me elaborate. Free, like many who get PIZZZZZAID unexpectedly, lost his edge and his passion. While it may not have been clear to you, it was blatantly obvious to me. He was not the same guy I fawned all over two years ago and players that "work hard & are leaders by example" don't typically fall that fast.
  8. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    This is progress man! Watch! Red will get an OC (whether he likes it or not) and then suddenly it will all begin to feel right. ;)
  9. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    This is only the beginning.
  10. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,860 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    I wouldn't have a problem with letting Rob Ryan go, if we were interviewing head coaches right now. Skip Peete I have no problems with him being fired. Wanted him fired years ago.

That being said, they are in fact scapegoats. Scapegoats for a poor philosophy where we have ignored the offensive and defensive lines.

We focused on the shift to the 3-4, but after Spears turned out to be a JAG, we needed to address it again. Most fans wanted to put Ratliff there, and get a real plug in the middle. We ignored it. We also got trash on the opposite end side year after year.

We kept drafting linebackers.... who are only going to be as good as the line allows them to be. That aren't going to change our inability to defend the pass.

We ignored the offensive line as well. We thought Free was amazing because he was better than a hobbled Adams or Colombo... We did nothing with the interior.
  11. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    We're just getting started man! Taking care of coaching issues in preparation for a draft frenzy.
  12. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I dont like this firing for 2 reasons. The first being the D could see this scapegoat firing so he has to be real careful not to lose them.

Secondly he already stated he did want/ need a OC. So if he is forced to hire one the O could see that as his legs being cut from under him and he would have to be very careful not to lose them as well.

We better start fast next year or he could lose both.
  13. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    What is the Doug Free news? Did I miss something big?
  14. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received

Bleu Star

I admire your positive way of looking at things. I cannot follow this example that you are setting, but I do admire your approach!
  15. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,135 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I believe one of two things will occur because of these machinations today and in the coming weeks.

Garrett will become a head coach, and not a glorified offensive coordinator. He will step up and turn this team around. He will focus on getting people who have the assigned responsibility to do their jobs and get the team prepared. This will galvanize the team under one leader, and not this offense vs. defense schlock we've had since Wade Phillips weighed in at 335.

Or...

We will find that the stage is too big for Garrett and he will be fired at the end of the 2013 season.

Now this isn't burning bush stuff. But depending on whom Jerry names as the DC and OC, Garrett was just handed a do not fail ultimatum.

Now what makes this folly is if Jones doesn't get himself an offensive line and a running game. Because if they do not limit the number of potential situations where Romo feels he has to carry the team, then Garrett is swinging in the wind.

Because now it is put up or shut up for our boy Opie.
  16. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,770 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    Seeing the Dallas Cowboys glass half full since 1979!

I'll never sugar coat a turd though. We clearly have coaching issues that revolve around an apprentice HC that is spread too thin. I won't really be happy until I see someone else named as the new OC.
  17. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,977 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones being in the picture makes sure we are at full turd every season.
  18. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,831 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    If Jerry can snag Lovie, someway, somehow, then we would have a coach in waiting if Garrett were to fail in 2013. I like having contingency plans, even though I support Garrett.
  19. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Thats cool. I wish I could think like you do. My blood pressure would be better, my finger nails would be in better shape, I wouldnt have an ulcer etc etc.

I fell in love with the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day 1974 (Clint Longley game), but the past few years have been really challenging for me. Then with 2 cocker spaniels named Dallas and Cowboy...I get heat from everyone.

:bang2:
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,135 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Outside of the Garrett thing, I agree with you. Lovie is the Lady in Waiting.

I think Garrett has shown the full array of his bag of tricks here and we won't see any progress.

But then I can be wrong about that.