1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ex-Gitmo Detainee Responsible for Homicide Bombing In Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, May 5, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    Three years ago, Abdullah Saleh al-Ajmi, a Kuwaiti soldier who deserted to fight in Afghanistan alongside the Taliban, sat in a detention cell at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, while lawyers argued whether he was an "enemy combatant."

Last week, a Dubai-based television channel reported that al-Ajmi was killed carrying out a homicide bombing in Mosul, Iraq.

While the report did not specify which attack Abdullah carried out, Iraqi officials reported that Mosul was hit on April 26 by three homicide attacks, killing seven people.

CBS News reported that al-Ajmi carried out an attack on Wednesday, April 30, according to an unconfirmed report posted on a jihadist Web site.

Al-Ajmi's cousin, Salem, reportedly told Al-Arabiya television that , "We were shocked by the painful news we received ... from one of the friends of martyr Abdullah in Iraq."

Salem al-Ajmi reportedly said a friend told his cousin's family that the 30-year-old former detainee had fled Kuwait about two weeks ago.

Abdullah Saleh al-Ajmi, who was repatriated to Kuwait in November, 2005, was free on bail there awaiting trial on charges he helped to raise money for Al Qaeda.

U.S. counterterrorism analysts argued in a review of al-Ajmi's activities that he should not be released or returned to Kuwait based on the following:

— That he deserted from the Kuwaiti army to participate in a jihad in Afghanistan;

— The Taliban supplied him with arms, including grenades;

— He admitted fighting with the Taliban, including engaging in two or three firefights;

— He was captured by coalition forces in the Tora Bora region, an area once thought to be a hideout of Usama bin Laden;

— That upon his arrival at Guantanamo he demonstrated "aggressive" behavior; and,

— Based on a review of classified and unclassified documents, al-Ajmi was declared a threat to the United States and its allies.

Al-Ajmi denied all charges that he was an enemy combatant and a jihadist, and that documented statements were untrue.

He was repatriated to Kuwaiti authorities on Nov. 3, 2005.

Salem al-Ajmi said his cousin had a son after his return to Kuwait.

Reuters reported that Salem al-Ajmi said there were no indications his cousin planned to join Al Qaeda in Iraq, although he had become less sociable in the period leading up to his disappearance.
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    But wait, I thought the left assured us that they were innocents picked up without reason.
  3. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    You bet just your avg. criminal who deserves his civil rights like all Americans. :laugh2:
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :eek:

There was a bad guy at Club Gitmo????

Who let this riffraff in there anyway?
  5. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    Surprising isn't it? Really the guy was minding his own business in Afghanistan taking a little jihading spring break and just got a little wild with some Ak-47 and grenades. How dare the US treat him like an enemy combatant
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    well i hope to god we didn't offend him by taking a whiz on his holy book. now THAT would have been a crime to be appaled about.
  7. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now the left can stop whining.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    Now sasqie or canadian or one of other libs will go on and on about how better it is that 1000 guilty go free rather then one innocent man be jailed.

Cold comfort to ALL THE VICTIMS of that 1000.

But thats ok. Libs for years have shown no sympathy for victims (unless they can use them, that is). Why does the ACLU love criminals so much? Because it gives them something to do.
  9. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,589 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    yup. :cool:
  10. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    no they won't.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    I appreciate it being called a homocide bombing instead of a suicide bombing. I find that to be far more accurate.
  12. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They will never stop.
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    No they won't they will just say....."Well obviously torture didn't work so we shouldn't use it. If torture worked then we wouldn't have let him go because we would have got the information we needed."

More spinning from the left is all that will result.
  14. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    well, i don't want to get into a left/right pointing match. that just is a perpetual motion machine that gets nowhere and overheated quite a bit.

i *do* strongly feel the whole guantanimo ordeal was vastly overblown *by* the liberals on the extreme and fueled by missteps of bush that made it easy to do. the koran getting whized on for example - that was such a haneious crime when it happened even though from what i understand, it was an accident.

torture is a tough call. i would rather see us not have to and in most of all cases NOT do it. but if they know the worst you're going to do is play brittney spears music and make them watch rosanne barr for days on end, why would they give up a cause they're willing to die for anyway? even with torture - fine. they're gonna put a bomb on them and blow up a deli, does waterboarding beat that in fear factor?

as a society we have a bad habit of looking at things in an extreme nature, not where it is. look at where you work, when a problem arises that's important, how often do they go overboard and "too far" to fix it? happens all the time here. it's rare you get the planners and thinkers in involved but that's where long term growth and change comes from - when these people find each other and can work together w/o the "extremes" shouting in their ear.

for awhile there people were saying bush was worse than those he was detaining. we need to set them free because we have so little intelligence they *should* be there.

maybe we didn't. maybe the IGS who's so quick and willing to shell out blame but never take responsibility we let get their way to stop the whining. maybe we should just let 'em whine and stop listening till they slow down and see a bigger picture.

it would seem in this case we let the wrong guy free. but there is simply no way we can ensure 100% guilt or innocence on anyone so using the "but innocents will pay!" mantra is just talk. innocents always pay that's why they're innocent.

the world is also far from fair yet, we tend to push for some ultimate handicapping system where all are equal. even though we're not. all mankind you'd think should have the same basic rights to be as good as they can be but all men are not created equal. that's ok.

that's life.

and i digress.

anyway, interesting to see how this played out but there's a long way to go in this...game.
  15. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I find it to be more gey.

I am of Jewish heritage and I have had a friend go to Israel and have had body parts hit him in a suicide bombing, but me, my friend, and the people of Israel still call it suicide bombings. "homIcide bombings" is just some super PC term invented by Bush that nobody actually uses.
  16. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No but everyone is innocent until proven guilty and deserves legal representation and a fair legal process. Sad that he was actually a terrorist, but dozens of others weren't.

John Adams defended the British soldiers in the Boston Massacre and got most of them off, even though he himself was virulently anti-British. You right-wing fascist could learn something from him.
  17. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I know I'll probably be jumped on for exercising a free thought, but I wonder if torturing and holding people without trial for years, etc could lead them to extremism.

Even though the percentage would almost certainly be small (a small percentage of the small amount of innocents), gitmo and other concentration camps could be creating terrorists.
  18. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    you mean it's wrong to take a single incident and use it to prop up a broad message? man, glad you didn't do that.

as long as we keep shouting RIGHT WING LEFT WING we're fighting the wrong people. given that we tend to make those who are a legit enemy friends cause we hate "ourselves" that much.

very odd time we live in.
  19. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    hope no one jumps on ya for that. it's a valid point to be honest.

but what if they were already extreme? such as in this case? what if they were terrorists before they were put in a ... terrorist camp?

again, are innocent people in there? likely. but that shouldn't stop us from doing all we can. are there innocent people in jail? yep. and sometimes cause their own lawyer followed a different set of values and left them there. (different thread from the recent past).

so since innocent people do go to jail, should we let all the prisoners go? stop the judicial system because it could and is wrong sometimes? or do we work to keep making it better realizing it's not and never will be as perfect as some would have it in order to use it at all.
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    I have never heard it called that before, so I could really give a crap if you don't like it because Bush said it. If he invented that phrase I say kudos to him. I repeat, I (as in me, myself, not you, or anyone else) find it to be FAR more accurate as a defintion of that act.

You use what you want for whatever reason you want. I refuse to be a grasshopper sitting on your shoulder whispering about right and wrong.