1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Exercise in Futility - 2010 (Stash's Mock Draft)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by stasheroo, Apr 2, 2010.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    "Everybody else is doing it so why can't we?"

It's once again mock draft time and I figured I'd get my "fair share of abuse".

I'll be doing a few different versions:

1) The "Perfect Storm", where the draft falls the Cowboys' way with the players they need right where they need them

2) The "Carnac the Magnificent" version where I'll provide predictions sure to go wrong

3) The "If I had a Billion Dollars" version where I'll play the part of Jerry Jones and do whatever I want

Here's the "Perfect Storm" version:

Dallas Cowboys 2010 Mock Draft
    Round 1 : Mike Iupati - OL - Idaho - 6’5” 325 lbs.

A player the Cowboys obviously covet, I feel they see Iupati as their next Larry Allen. A terrific athlete with tremendous strength who should excel in what Dallas asks of its’ linemen. A year of NFL coaching and left guard should be solidified for years.

Round 2: Nate Allen/ - FS – South Florida – 6’1” 205 lbs.

Despite its’ high-ranking, the Cowboys defense needs more playmakers in the secondary. Ken Hamlin has been an average player since signing his big contract and the team would certainly prefer an upgrade. Allen would provide that. A great athlete with speed, change-of-direction, ball skills and a good work ethic.

Round 3: Jared Veldheer – OT- Hillsdale – 6’8” 321 lbs.

I see Veldheer as this year’s version of Sebastian Vollmer. He showed he could play with the big boys during Texas vs. the nation all-star week. A solid developmental prospect, he could develop into a left or right tackle of the future. Other than Doug Free, the Cowboys have too many question marks at tackle and this pick would give them another option and a potential future starter.

Round 4: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah – CB – Indiana (PA) – 6’0” 200 lbs.

A terrific athlete with great size, good burst, and closing speed, he’s a developmental cornerback who can be brought along slowly and used first as a returner/special teams player.

Round 6: Eric Olsen – OC – Notre Dame – 6’4” 305 lbs.

He brings much needed versatility to the offensive line and sends perennial disappointment Cory Procter packing once and for all. Smart, tough and durable, Olsen has improved throughout his collegiate career and should develop into a fine replacement for starter Andre Gurode.

Round 7: John Conner – FB - Kentucky - 5’11” 240 lbs.

A throwback fullback who thrives in the lead-blocking role, “The Terminator” will add the physicality to the running game that the Cowboys have lacked since the days of Moose Johnston, while also contributing to special teams.

2. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,878 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Yes! Unfortunately I think Owusu will be long gone before the 4th. I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged something to get another 3rd round pick this year, so much depth at positions of need.
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I like the names, but there needs to be a wideout somewhere in this draft...it's a passing league now and the Hurd's/Crayton's of the world scare no one...and I am not even going to start on that #11 guy.
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,543 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I would love this draft. The only problem that I see is that every player might go higher in that round that you selected. Other than that this would be an ideal draft.
  5. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,119 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If that happened I would be ecstatic. Unforunately I doubt it would. AOA will probably be a 2nd rounder. I don't see him dropping past the 3rd.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    I'd take that all day, but I see at least 3 players that will certainly not be there when you have us taking them. But like you said...the perfect storm.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    You cheatin bastid

And even w/ the cheating you still messed up the last 2 picks

:)