1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

F-16 still going strong

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Meat-O-Rama, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,299 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    The only plane I can think of with that kind of longevity is the B-52.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/february/0215aero-F-16V.html

SINGAPORE, Feb. 15, 2012 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] unveiled a new version of the F-16 today at the Singapore Airshow. The F-16V will feature enhancements including an active electronically scanned array (AESA)radar, an upgraded mission computer and architecture, and improvements to the cockpit – all capabilities identified by the U.S. Air Force and several international customers for future improvements.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

6,549 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Well, the F-15 is still going strong as well.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    F-4 had a long run.
  4. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still see a couple flying around my condo from time to time...not sure if they're coming out of Eglin or Tyndall. Usually sharing airspace with F-22s. It's weird.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's amazing these jets are still going strong. The F-14, as well as the other ones mentioned were built off of designs some 30 to 40 years ago.

Top Gun > Iron Eagle
  6. Meat-O-Rama

2,299 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    haha, agreed
  7. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    "Wild Weasel"?
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

6,549 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Phantoms. F-4 Phantom.

How long have I been playing fantasy football? My first team had Marino on it, and these babies, the F-4s were still going strong out of Sembach air base in Germany...and my first team name? The Phantoms. :)
  9. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,392 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    This is the jet that came to mind first to me as well. Still my favorite of all-time. Always loved the dual exhaust. :)

"...It first entered service in 1960 with the U.S. Navy.......The F-4 Phantom II remained in use by the U.S. in the reconnaissance and Wild Weasel (suppression of enemy air defenses) roles in the 1991 Gulf War, finally leaving service in 1996.[7][8]"

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

32,283 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    I haven't gotten to see an F-22 in person yet. My dad builds the F-35.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I see gobs of them fly by my office window each and everyday. They are awesome. We get to see them at the local air show since they arrived at Elmendorf AFB. Pretty flippin awesome plane.
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I always found it a bit strange that at onetime the F-4s were used as the Blue Angel's planes. F-4s were not best known for its manueverability and agility, as the A-4s and F-18s.
  13. k19

k19 Active Member

2,959 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The f-16's still a baby

f-16 -1978

C-130 -1957

KC-135 - 1957

b-52 - 1955

U2-1957
  14. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun... Zone Supporter

27,443 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    i see F-16's almost everyday! And, my home is right under a flight path of those noisy, bad *** planes!

I live in Utah about 5 miles from Hill, AFB (see below) and I worked for the Defense Information Systems Agency as a mainframe computer programmer and our building was on Hill AFB. I see all kinds of planes everyday. And, the Hill AFB Space Museum is awesome. It has almost every plane that has been made for the Military, plus some bad ICBM's on display.

Hill Air Force Base is an Air Force Materiel Command base located in northern Utah. Hill is home to many operational and support missions, with the Ogden Air Logistics Center (OO-ALC) serving as the host organization. The center provides worldwide engineering and logistics management for the F-16 Fighting Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II, Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile. The base performs depot maintenance of the F-16, A-10 and C-130 Hercules aircraft.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

28,091 Messages
    3,456 Likes Received
    Good old C-130. Jumped that one enough times.
  16. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,310 Messages
    265 Likes Received

I think F-4's are used more as drones now. RF-4's were used for recon purposes...and I do remember a wild weasel version as well.

The only F-4 I've seen fly is the "flying museum" as they call it. It's usually part of the Heritage Flights.
  17. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Yes there was a WW version of the "Fox4",for both ecw jamming and radar suppresion. There are certain aircraft, both fixed wing and rotary, that you can identify by their sound before seeing them. One is the UH-1B Huey,and the other, for me, the F-4 Phantom. I can also identify a Cobra and a Loach by sound.
  18. Meat-O-Rama

2,299 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Good info. I thought of those tankers as I was posting, but too lazy to do the research.
  19. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    South Korea still flies the F-4 but they are supposed to be phasing it out within the next decade. They want F-22s but will probably only get the F-35.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

7,146 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    Life long superfan of the F-4.

There are some neat F-4 variations that <almost> were....

My favorite, the Mach 3 Israel F-4X. Killed by the US because it would hurt the F-15 program.

Also the Israeli F-4 Super Phantom variant which was considered a potential danger by the Congress to a number of more aircraft (F/A-18 C/D particularly) who were protecting Lockheed / Boeing / McDonnell Douglas / etc who wanted to ensure foreign air forces bought new F16s rather than upgrading their F-4s.