1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FA and Draft Mock!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboys1981, Mar 2, 2014.

1. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    FA:
    OG Geoff Schwartz
    DE-(move to DT-3 tech)Arthur Jones

1- FS Calvin Pryor
    2- DE Trent Murphy (WDE)
    3- DE Kareem Martin (SDE)
    4- OG Brandon Thomas
    5- DT DeAndre Coleman
    7- RB Dri Archer
    7- DT Jay Bromley
    7- CB Phillip Gaines

UDFA
    QB Jeff Mathews
    DT Garrison Smith
    OG Andrew Norwell
    ILB Chris Young
    RB Storm Johnson
    RB Jerome Smith
    WR- Allen Hurns
    OLB Jonathan Newsome

Safeties:
    FS-Pryor
    SS- Wilcox/Church
    CB's: Carr, Mo, Scandrick
    LB's: Holloman, Lee, Carter
    Dline: Murphy, Coleman, Jones, Martin
    SMASHMOUTH9473 likes this.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,374 Likes Received
    Physically, I believe that Wilcox has better coverage ability than Pryor. Wilcox was terrific in 1-on-1 coverage drills against WRs at the Senior Bowl practices last year.

It would have been a shock if he didn't struggle as a rookie considering:
    He only played Safety for 1 year in college. He was a WR originally.
    His mother died during the preseason and he missed a week of training camp. Rookies are already under a lot of stress.
    He had a knee injury during the season. He returned but I doubt if he was 100%.
    Everybody around him was new to the defense.
    Donny Phoenix and egn22 like this.
  3. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    agreed. no way i take Pryor in the 1st, i'd trade down before doing that. i also think it'd be a crime not to pick up a WR in this draft with all of the options that will be available.
    coyboy likes this.
  4. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Drafting Pryor isn't a knock on Wilcox. I know he will continue to improve in coverage, as he showed leading up to his injury. Having a tandem of Pryor and Wilcox gives us two safeties that can cover and lay out some big hits as well.
  5. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Disagree on the WR statement. Not addressing our trenches, especially on the defensive side would be more of a crime.
  6. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    You can do both in this draft. That's my point
  7. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    We have Dez, Williams, Beasley, and Harris. I'll also include Witten as part of our attack in the receiving game. We can't even name one player that will contribute on the Dline and actually have an impact in all four spots. My mock is based off of that with having another safety who can cover and play the position well.
  8. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    That's why you trade back for more picks.
  9. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I don't see us doing that. I actually see us going after a WR in FA. Unless someone like Evans/Watkins falls to us in rd 1 or Cooks/Beckham in rd 2.
  10. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Evans is the only WR id be willing to use our 1st rd pick on, otherwise I'd trade back. I'm set on trading back mainly to address what your biggest concern is, the D-Line. I think bolstering that D-Line will help our secondary tremendously. I don't believe Carr is overrated, Mo was overhyped, or Wilcox isn't starter material. Just gotta add to that D-Line.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,374 Likes Received
    I was just pointing out I think Pryor would be the box Safety with Wilcox being the FS.
  12. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I have a lot of faith in our secondary. We didn't play our schemes to their strengths. We tried to use zone with man to man CB's. On top of that, a lack of a consistent pass rush didn't do them any good.

In my mock we add 4 Dlineman. Murphy and Martin can have an immediate impact and adding Arthur Jones to play the 3 tech will bolster our pass rush. Coleman and Bromley take up space on stopping the run. They can platoon with Hayden and Crawford can battle it out with Jones for the 1-tech.
    egn22 likes this.
  13. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I can see it going either way. I believe these two are similar in style of play. Both have the ability to cover better than Church (who IMO should play WLB).
  14. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Just saw Trent Murphy's highlight film, yes please!
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,793 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    Yes but if Dez or TW get hurt, who does Dallas play outside? Beasley and Harris arent those kinds of WR.
  16. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    We can always address the WR spot in FA. My concern is playing with this defensive line filled with guys coming off the street all over again. My mock, with FA pickups addresses both sides of the trenches (defense-long term).
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,793 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    A WR in FA will cost more then a WR rookie contract. Why not use that FA slot for a DT that fits Marinelli's need, and would eliminate the rookie learning curve?
  18. cowboys1981

2,554 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    We can address a WR after the draft as well where they won't be as much as any receiver getting a contract here soon. In my mock I did address the DT-3 tech spot in Arthur Jones. Throw in the draft picks I have mocked and our Dline is much improved with a youth movement. As far as the learning curve, we have a very simple defensive scheme that shouldn't be a challenge for a rookie to absorb on the front end.