1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FA QB X: 33 yo, league leader in picks. No playoffs in 3 years. Would you sign him?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by KB1122, Jan 3, 2013.

1. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Let's take the name "Tony Romo" out of it.

Suppose there was another 33-year-old quarterback coming off a year in which he led the league in interceptions. He hasn't been to the playoffs in three years. He has won one playoff game in his entire career.

Would you sign that quarterback to a five-year deal?
  2. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    If he's better than what I got, sure.
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,428 Messages
    2,281 Likes Received
    But....wait....he....has....great....passing....stats....each....year.

The game is about winning.
  4. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I'd take a guy with a career 95.6 rating in a heartbeat.
  5. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    And he's not the thing holding us back.
  6. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,759 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    The answer has to be no right? Let him finish his contract, give Garrett one more year and if it doesn't work, blow things up.
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What does this question have to do with the price of tea in China?
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,815 Messages
    635 Likes Received

Post up Jerry's GM resume and see how that works?
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    And winning is what TEAM'S do. Not individual players.
  10. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,947 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    Another year? And we miss the opportunity to draft the kid whose destiny is to be the next great QB for the Cowboys. He is in the draft this year not next year. The guy was born literally to be the next great QB for this team. I just hope we don't pass on him. I'm all for drafting him and let romo finish out his contract and give him the year on the bench.
  11. rocyaice

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    To answer the OP...in a heartbeat. But the reality is, you would NEVER see a guy like that as a free agent unless he had a neck injury. But to answer your question i'd take him. And most teams would. People are upset because he had a bad game. But fact remains, if it wasn't for Romo we wouldn't have even had a chance to even play for the NFC East title.

I don't think you can afford to let Romo cost 16 million against your cap next season though.
  12. rocyaice

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    Who are you talking about lol? All of these qb's coming out this year do not need to be thrown in the fire off the back. Especially Matt Barkley and Geno Smith.
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You know Bailey only missed 2 fgs and both were over 50 yard attempts. But since one of his misses directly cost us a win and since the team finished 8-8, he's a loser and should be replaced.:rolleyes:

Or maybe the team should focus resources on replacing poor performers.
  14. CowboyStar88

4,947 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    Says who? How do you know if they are ready or not? If the coaching staff is capable of tailoring the offense to them and they pick it up quickly why not? Ryan tannehill seemed to fair pretty good when people thought he wouldn't. I am referring to Landry Jones. But I did say that he would sit on the bench for the year while romo finishes out his contract. Read what I wrote. Bottom line is the last few years its been proven that Rookie QB's can come in and be successful. You don't think he could do better than 1-7, 8-8,8-8? Spend the resources on some good blue collar younger linemen in FA dump some of the older vets and their salaries like Rat/free/austin/sensy etc... And let the young guys grow together like Murray, Dez , smith , mo, Carr, church, lee, carter, Harris etc...
  15. rocyaice

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    This team doesn't have the offensive line to throw a rookie in there off the back. Not only that, but rookie qb's simply aren't ready to just come in and contribute. I don't care what Russell Wilson and RGIII are doing. What they are doing is PHENOMENAL and is a credit to how great they are at what they do. But I HOPE people don't belittle what they are doing by assuming anybody can do what they do. That's not the case at all.
  16. CowboyStar88

4,947 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    I wasn't referring to just them. I am talking about the general success that other rookie QB's have had over the last few years. Also FA does start before the draft and there are players that are solid in their prime players that can be signed. I just don't get this thought process that we can't bring in youth and that we are in a win now mode. I get ware is getting up there and witten is getting up there. People are speculating that rat/miles could be gone. So who else is really getting up there in age? I would rather build a team that is going to compete for the next 5-10 years and not just one or 2. We've seen that fail before.
  17. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    The way some of you are so afraid to lose Tony is funny considering how Jerry gets bashed for holding on to something for too long. We could take Aaron Murray in the 2nd round this year and have him start for us and go 8-8 or better.lol Give me a break.
  18. rocyaice

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    Oh i'm for bringing in youth. Even if it is a qb. The Cowboys need to draft the best player available. It doesn't matter what position it is. Draft the best player available. But I believe whoever they draft should be Romo's backup until he is ready or until Romo is no longer with us.

Did you see how we went 8-8 though? It was Romo carrying this team and BIG GAMES. But I forgot that its only a "big game" when Romo loses......
  19. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received

Romo didn't carry anything. We were down in a lot of those games BECAUSE OF HIM.lol Just because he led us back I'm supposed to bow to him? Please. What big games this year did he carry the other poor 52 players on the roster?
  20. CowboyStar88

4,947 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    Like you said to me in the other thread don't be like those guys on ESPN with the BIG GAME only if Romo loses. That simply isn't the case. Did Romo play well for a stretch of games? Yes he did as did Dez and I would even venture to say that if it weren't for the play and dominance of Dez this team wouldn't have won some of those games. However you can't ignore the 1-6 record in win or go home games. I just have a problem with thinking that we can't do better then 6-10, 8-8, 8-8 if this team drafts a QB and plays him. Can it really be any worse? I mean missing the playoffs for 3 straight years is ugly. It's no better then the campo 5-11 years either. If he was 25-27 we wouldn't be having this convo but at the age of 33 and this is the body of work you are putting together I would think there is a serious problem.