1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FA QB X: 33 yo, league leader in picks. No playoffs in 3 years. Would you sign him?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by KB1122, Jan 3, 2013.

1. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    140, give or take, for the record.
  2. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Do you remember the Aikman era? How about the Staubach era? You know, the ones when we won championships.

It's scary how people forget things, indeed.
  3. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received

If a new quarterback comes in and he wins, we're a playoff team at the least. If he loses, then they give us a high draft pick to get a new one.
  4. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,010 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    John Elway didn't win a SB until he was ?36? and had a reliable run game and an Oline that could protect him

There's a reason Romo is the only Dallas QB with 4,000+ passing yards and has done that four times.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Tell me my other options.

Would you sign Alex Smith right now?
    Phillip Rivers?
    Tim Tebow?
    Mark Sanchez?

OR Tony Romo?

I'd take Romo of that group.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    We have a good one now. Playing musical QB when you have one of the better ones in the NFL is just stupid. People want to put it all on Romo or the QB postion in general really are clueless about what it takes to win.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,890 Messages
    702 Likes Received

A QB that gives you a chance to win - in just about every game - YES
    A QB that is the most prepared player on the team - YES
    A QB that makes everyone around him better(sans their preparation) - YES

We would be 3-13 with any other QB.... MAYBE..... (2-14, 1-15)

Whats your point?

:p: Your post is wasted. Those things dont count... dont'cha know?
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    ROFL.

The Staubach era was far fewer teams and far less competition in general.

The Aikman era was a team built pre-Salary Cap and still included being the worst team in football for two years AND trading off our best player to re-build into a power.

The Cap came in and Jimmy Johnson went bye bye.
    Not as much fun to play in this parity era where resources are so evenly split between so many teams.

The fans who supported the owners in the latest labor negotiations are seeing why Cowboys fans should never want more cap control.
  9. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Yeah because Troy did not need irvin, Emmitt or the defense. Roger played with a group called Doomsday but I doubt they had anything to do with winning. :laugh2:
  10. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Elway also led his team to 3 SBs before that. He won 3 AFC Championships in dramatic fashion. I'm still waiting for Romo to win a second playoff game.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Ask any number of teams how easily that is done. There are a very few franchise QBs.

We saw a slew of great QB performances this year by rookie QBs so fans go stupid and forget 30 years of NFL history suggesting that just doesn't happen.

We'll see how successful teams are with these new breed read option QBs once defenses figure that out. And they will. Just as they figured out the wildcat in about 1 season.
  12. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Since you brougt up Roger let me ask when Dallas beat Denver in the SB you think Harvey Martin and Randy White, who were named co-most valuable players, led the Cowboys' defense, which recovered four fumbles and intercepted four passes. Had something to do with the outcome? Dallas was turning the ball over in that game but the defense was stout knocking Morton all over the place. Weese came in for Morton and did not have any better success as Doomday was killing Denver.
  13. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Frankly Alfred Morris played a bigger part in that game as he constatly was ripping the Dallas defense. It is a lot easier playing the QB position when you can pound the ball. Same with the Seahawks. I take nothing away from RGIII or Wilson but when you can pound the ball keep you offense in shorter yardage it takes a ton of pressure off the QB and puts a lot of pressure on the defense.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If QB X had seven consecutive years of QBRs over 90, then the answer is yes. Also, "Leading the league in INT's" is completely meaningless to me. I want to know his INT per pass attempt ratio.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Oh no? What was holding us back that last game then? Because we were in a prime position to make the playoffs.. all we had to do was win the last one, and he threw three bad INT's when we had every oppertunity to win that game.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Morris lead the league in rushing and SEA rushed so well because they ran similar offensive schemes that NFL defenses weren't ready for.

But that will change and if you ask RG3 and Wilson to lead more traditional offenses you may not like the overall career results. (I believe rg3 will be fine fwiw)

The Dolphins came out with their version of the wildcat and ran teams ragged for a while. A couple seasons later those same RBs who had totaled lots of rushing yards can't even get jobs because the defenses handle the wildcat easily now and their overall effectiveness was based more on scheme than talent.
  17. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    If you can run the ball you can dictate to the defense much easier. If I have to take 8 and put them in the box to stop the run then I have the outside match ups with little help from the safety.

As for wildcat that is one formation what I'm talking about is being able to run so that defense has to change to stop getting pounded. You want to take life out of a defense you want to wear them down then let the OL attack them and let the RB run over them.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Roger and Troy didn't turn the ball over in big games and cost their team wins. They elevated their game when playing in these big games. Their teammates knew that they could trust them. I think Romo is the Cowboys best chance of winning games, but he tries to do too much when he is under pressure in the big games. There is not a QB in the draft or a free agent that could come in during the offseason and do better next year. The Cowboys are stuck with a QB that will win games, but not the big games.
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Cowboy fans have such a hard time facing reality. Maybe Jerry Jones has destroyed my zeal for the Cowboys enough that it's easier for me to look at them objectively than it used to be. I'm really looking forward to watching the upcoming playoffs, whereas even 5 years ago, I'd have been so upset that the Cowboys didn't make it that I didn't even want to watch the games. Thanks, Jerry.

Tony Romo was, in most games, the best player on the team. But then when they needed him most to be the best player, with the playoffs on the line, he played awful. If last Sunday night were an isolated situation, so be it. But the facts are that it isn't. He's come up small time and again at the end of the season.

Post numbers, wear your Romo committment like a Cowboys jersey, or whatever. But the truth is that, as someone else said earlier, the NFL is about winning, not numbers, and Tony was in a great position to win the other night, and choked it away, and it isn't the 1st time we've seen that from him.

It's time to move on from Romo. Maybe not this offseason, simply because there might not be a viable alternative. But the absolute worst decision the organization can make, other than keeping Jerry Jones as GM, is to give Romo an extension.
  20. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I agree Romo at times tries to do too much but I also think much of that comes from lack of production in other areas. Troy had Emmitt who could take over a game and defense had to account for him, in doing so it opened up passing lanes. Face it Troy did not have a lot of games he was forced to come from behind in.

I think Romo made some big mistakes in this past game I don't remove that from him my point is when you look at the teams Roger and Troy played on there were HOF players offense and defense who also stepped up big time in big games. As I mentioned in the SB between Dallas and Denver we were turning the ball over but the Dallas defense would turn around and get the ball right back, they pounded Morton and Weese all game long which is why White and Martin were named co MVP of the game.

Yes Troy was great and so was Roger they also played on great overall teams. Heck Roger stepped into a situation where Dallas was coming off a SB when he took over the parts were in place.