1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FA QB X: 33 yo, league leader in picks. No playoffs in 3 years. Would you sign him?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by KB1122, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    a few changes

Not quite as easy now, is it?
  2. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received

And exactly how do you know that? I can say we would have won 10-12 games with a better QB just as easliy as you can say that.

I bet with Peyton, we would have won 13+.

You just can't make those type statements based on your love for Romo.
  3. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Peyton was not available.
    I feel sure we wouldn't have won 13+ (and Danny White even used Peyton as the exact example of someone who would struggel on this team)...and almost just as sure that Peyton would have been hurt.
    But, as you said, that is all speculation. So I'll just give you that.
    Given what was available, I say Dallas win 3-4 games without Romo. We'll never know though. It's not like he had his best year, so it could be even 5 games.
  4. weaver21

weaver21 Member

627 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

You think we could've won 13 games with Peyton Manning... with this offensive line? That's hilarious. And no I'm not basing my statements on my "love" for my Romo, that's just a fact.
  5. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Since this is all speculation, how many games would we have won with RGIII? He is much more elusive than Romo, and can run for yards as well, so it would have to be more, right?
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I can safely say we're zero games this year when our QB is 9 for 18 for 100 yards.
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    Just speculating I would say we would have been in the playoffs with RG3. Also, what good is an 8-8 season and no playoffs? Heck, I think Orton could have gotten us that record. Picking 18th in the draft is not very attractive.
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,304 Messages
    1,199 Likes Received
    Because of the QB or because the Cowboys don't have a coaching staff would can adapt the offense to the players on the field?

I'm not so sure the Washington OL was anything great either.

I am MIGHTY impressed with the coaching job the Shanahans (Dad and Son) did taking the talent they had and working those pieces into an offense that was perfect for them.
  9. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    They did exactly what they needed to in order to win. The guys knee was busted up and they found our weakness, so they just ran in down our throats. It's not about stats, it's about winning. RG3 has been a HUGE leader for his team this year.
  10. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Me too.
    Plus, the line they have is actually pretty good when intergrated into that scheme.

Still.....:dissskin:
  11. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    Washington has a horrible OLINE, mostly inept receivers, and a horrible pass defense (ranked 30th) in the league. RG3 being as elusive as he is has hidden their Oline problems.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    A new offense and too many hits in the head was Troy's problem in those years.

I don't see the Bengals or the Steelers as good teams or big wins. Romo is going to have to come through in do or die games like the Redskins game or he will always beba choke artist. He has dropped too many of these games and won only a couple. He is what he is until he proves different.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Shanny's zone stretch run system has shown time and time again they don't need great physical talents. He plugged a lot of late round no names into his system in Denver. That's the appeal of the zone blocking system.

The downside is that it takes a long time with the same unit to develop the cohesion and continuity needed to run the system well. Shanny didn't just waive a magic wand and make the Washington running game instantaneously good. This was LT Trent Williams 3rd consecutive year as a starter under Shanny in Washington. LG Kory Lichtensteiger 3rd straight year as a starter under Shanny in Washington, after being drafted and playing under him in Denver. C Will Montgomery's 3rd consecutive year as a starter under Shanny in Washington. RG Chris Chester's 2nd year as a starter under Shanny. RT Tyler Polumbus first year in Washington, but previously drafted and spent two years under Shanny in Denver, and another year running the same scheme under Alex Gibbs in Seattle.

Dallas just started the first year of implementation of the zone blocking system, had 3 new faces play as their main weekly starters, and started the season with new starters at all 5 OL positions. (I'll also add Washington was amazingly lucky on injuries to the OL).
  14. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Good question.

Not sure RG3 was really available either though.

But we had no reason to sell the farm (if we even could have) to get him because Romo had just finished a truly outstanding, efficient season. He even played well in the last one and done vs the Giants while playing with a football-sized hand. He certainly was not why they lost anyway. So after 2011, his arrow was pointing up.

After 2012, maybe that has changed some. We'll see.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The new offense and too many hits to the head didn't stop him from putting up career highs in almost every statistical category in 1998 and 1999, yet he had his worst playoff performances those years. Did the concussions just magically kick in in January, or did he get more confused with the offense as the season went along?

I'll go with Occam's Razor and suggest maybe the reason Troy didn't perform as well in the playoffs those years is that when it came to playing against playoff caliber competition he was throwing to Billy Davis and Eric Bjornson rather than Alvin Harper and Novacek. And Emmitt was running for 4.2 ypc behind the OL instead of 5.3. And no "leadership" or "clutch ability" by Aikman overcomes that.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    So these years puts Romo on his level when Romo has never had the sucess that Troy had? If you are a stats man, you can make that argument. The only stat that matters is winning. Romo would have folded in the playoff games against the 49ers. He has done nothing in his career to hint that he would have thrived in the pressure situations that Troy faced. You never answered my question about the big games Romo has won. Can you give at least one example that he didn't fold? I listed the Saints game and one playoff game. There has to be more doesn't it? Will you place the blame on Romo where it is due? After all, all these interceptions in big games can't be his teammates fault. The fact is that Romo has not been clutch against the good teams in meaningfull games. He has earned the choker label until he does something to change it.
  17. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,246 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    Question about this QB... has he choked in virtually every big game he's played in his entire career?
  18. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Uh.
    No