1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FAA Memo: Feds Knew NYC Flyover Would Cause Panic

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Apr 29, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    FAA Memo: Feds Knew NYC Flyover Would Cause Panic

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/air.force.one.2.996457.html

Threatened Federal Sanctions Against NYPD, Secret Service, FBI & Mayor's Office If Secret Ever Got Out

Furious Obama Apologizes: "It Will Never Happen Again"

NEW YORK (CBS) ―

A furious President Barack Obama ordered an internal review of Monday's low-flying photo op over the Statue of Liberty

CBS 2 HD has discovered the feds will have plenty to question.

Federal officials knew that sending two fighter jets and a 747 from the presidential fleet to buzz ground zero and Lady Liberty might set off nightmarish fears of a 9/11 replay, but they still ordered the photo-op kept secret from the public.

In a memo obtained by CBS 2 HD, the Federal Aviation Administration's James Johnston said the agency was aware of "the possibility of public concern regarding DOD (Department of Defense) aircraft flying at low altitudes" in an around New York City. But they demanded total secrecy from the NYPD, the Secret Service, the FBI and even the mayor's office and threatened federal sanctions if the secret got out.

What are your feelings on federal officials demanding the NYC flyover be kept secret by the NYPD and the mayor's office?

"To say that it should not be made public knowing that it might scare people it's just confounding," Sen. Charles Schumer said. "It's what gives Washington and government a bad name. It's sheer stupidity."

The flyover -- apparently ordered by the White House Office of Military Affairs so it would have souvenir photos of Air Force One with the Statue of Liberty in the background -- had President Obama seeing red. He ordered a probe and apologized.

"It was a mistake. It will never happen again," President Obama said.

The cost of the frivolous flight was about $60,000 an hour and that was just for the presidential aircraft. That doesn't include the cost of the two F-16s that came along.

The flight by the VC-25, a modified Boeing Co. 747, and two F-16 fighter jets cost $328,835, Air Force spokeswoman Vicki Stein said.

That includes $300,658 for the larger plane, which flew a three-hour mission, and about $28,178 for the F-16 jets, which flew 1.8 hours each, Stein said in an e-mailed statement.

The NYPD was so upset about the demand for secrecy that Police Commissioner Ray Kelly vowed never to follow such a directive again and he accused the feds of inciting fears of a 9/11 replay.

"Did it show an insensitivity to the psychic wounds New York City has after 9/11? Absolutely. No questions about it. It was quite insensitive," Kelly said.

The mayoral aide who neglected to tell Mayor Michael Bloomberg about it was reprimanded.
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,414 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Chances are the butthead who approved the flyover has already been fired or executed.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    Rahm Emanuel has not been fired that I have heard of and as the President Chief of staff should have known the were abouts and use of Air Force 1
  4. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Emanuel had nothing to do with it.

"The Presidential air fleet answers to the White House military office, whose director, Louis Caldera, issued a mea culpa on Monday."

""Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision," Caldera said. "While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it's clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused."
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    And they all answer to the Chief of staff that is why he has the position that he does and no one makes these moves on their own without the chief of staff being briefed.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    Concord are you really that dense that you think Rahm knew nothing about it?
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,218 Messages
    1,166 Likes Received
    It wasn't Air Force 1 because the President was not on board. Or was he? :D
  8. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Hey he asked if the guy who approved it got fired and you answered like it was Emanuel.

I posted who did approve it.

They're going to investigate this.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday that there would be an inquiry into how the decision was made to make the flight. He made no move to defend the midlevel White House civilian who had accepted blame for it on Monday.

"The president will look at that review and take any appropriate steps after that," Gibbs said. The inquiry would be led by Deputy Chief of Staff Jim Messina, Gibbs said.

Do you think Obama would do that if it was going to lead back to his man
    Emanuel?

I don't think he would.
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking.

:p:
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't know for sure what he knew but the guy who approved it came out and admitted it.

Now is he the fall guy?

If he is they could let it go at that and say OK it won't happen again and it's over...or maybe fire the guy.

But yet they are going to investigate.

You think Obama WANTS to find out Emanuel had something to do with it?

I don't.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    I don't know if the President or Rump Emanuel knew of it or not but I know that one or both of them should have. 328K worth of stupid airtime should be something that both know is a bad idea. How do you tell me that I'm going to pay more taxes because I'm making 200K or above and your gonna spend in excess of 300K to take a damn picture.

That's stupid but it will slide right off as if sliding from a Ducks back.
  12. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You know what's even worse?

They were UPDATING Photos.

So this crap has been going on before...how many times?
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Are you calling this man an ***?

:p:
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    To anybody who thinks for 2 seconds that Obama did not know:
    I have a big red bridge for sale,it's in the west coast.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received

Does it lead to nowhere Artie?

:laugh2:
  16. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Buy it and find out.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Your not in sales are you.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    Ayeah.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    There's a couple of those planes, it's only Air Force One when the President is on it.