1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Fake anti-virus cloaks itself to appear to be Microsoft Update

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fake anti-virus cloaks itself to appear to be Microsoft Update

by Chester Wisniewski on June 9, 2011 | Comments (6)
    FILED UNDER: Featured, Malware
    We are seeing the criminals behind fake anti-virus continuing to customize their social engineering attacks to be more believable to users and presumably more successful.

Last week I wrote about fake Firefox malware warnings leading users to rogue security software. This week they've started to imitate Microsoft Update.

Read more:http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...oaks-itself-to-appear-to-be-microsoft-update/

2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    When I buy it from a store in CD for, I trust it. I'm just now coming back around to PCs after needing a new motherboard for my Mac and having to drop nearly $800 a "logic board", apple's term for the mother board.

The day I took my computer to get fixed, I was going to buy another i-phone for myself. Two mac mini's and another laptop for my wife. But when they gave me the cost of the repair I bought a lenovo with dual AMDs and a touch screen for about $620.

No I don't have the desk tops I originally wanted, but at least I have a PC with a 3 year warranty and for my wife and I it works fine. So we decided we only needed one desktop computer and a laptop anyway.

I wanted a tablet, but now I really don't see why I need one since I have a macbook pro and will get a smart phone soon. From what I understand I can still get things like amplitude on my macbook pro (if/when apple ever fixes my macbook).

In any case, McAfee seems to work rather well for us.

3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,661 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I got the "Google redirect" virus a few weeks ago. it was such a pain to remove. I had to use 5 different AntiVirus programs before one detected it.

4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Oh great. I did a WU today and it's waiting for me to re-start the computer. Although I use FF as my main browser, I "think" the initial prompt came from IE.

5. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    revert back a few days before you reboot