1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Falcons players call Edwards’ release a “wakeup call”

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by MCIWEST, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MCIWEST

MCIWEST Member

110 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is what is needed on our team!

When the Falcons released defensive end Ray Edwards, they made it clear that it was a decision made because Edwards’ diminished play no longer warranted a spot on the team’s roster.
    They didn’t say anything about also wanting to send a message to the rest of the team that neither your name nor your salary guarantee you anything in Atlanta, but it doesn’t seem like they needed to be explicit on that front. The Associated Press spoke to several Falcons players who said Edwards’ departure was a reminder that they were constantly being judged by the coaching staff and front office.
    “It’s a wakeup call,” safety Thomas DeCoud said. “The message has been received.”
    “It’s scary,” guard Peter Konz said. “It makes you think. But if you do the right things, get the job done on the field, you don’t have to be too worried about it.”
    “That’s the way this game goes. You can be replaced,” cornerback Dunta Robinson said. ”Ray was a great friend of mine. I hate to see him go. But it’s a business. Things like this are going to happen when it’s a business.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/15/falcons-players-call-edwards-release-a-wakeup-call/:bow:
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,647 Messages
    4,524 Likes Received
    ATL is in a different place than we're in. But, yeah, that's a well-coached team right there. I'd love the move if I were a Falcon fan. You just know he had that in his back pocket for the week after the first loss.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Let them win a playoff game first. Dallas won a couple of NFC East championships under Wade and had a 1st round bye one year. They won 1 playoff game.

Atlanta under the great Mike Smith and Matty Ice have not won anything. They got smoked at home two years ago and scored 2 points last year against the Giants.

I'll believe in them when they produce in January.
  4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,118 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Don't forget their first round loss to Arizona in 2008.
  5. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    .Cutting a bad player really doesn't show anything
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,178 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Ray Edwards had only played in 212 snaps, 112 run def, 95 pass rush, 5 pass coverage.

While his replacement Kroy Biermann played in 399, 148 run def, 218 pass rush, 33 pass coverage.

Ya message sent, backup players are at risk just like in any other NFL team.
  7. Idgit

28,647 Messages
    4,524 Likes Received
    There are lots of reasons to lose playoff games. Leading the league in fewest penalties, nearing the league lead in fewest turnovers, best record, and then cutting a somewhat-significant player to make a point...that's pretty impressive in my book.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,909 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    Edwards was a bum and was holding his team back. Who on the Cowboys fits that mold? The closest you'll get is Felix but he's not nearly as bad as what Ray Edwards has been doing. He literally would stand there and not even attempt to get to the qb.
  9. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Nope. It's what you do in January. Period. That's what the media tells us. If you don't win in the playoffs you are an underachiever. Dallas has that tag and so should Atlanta.
  10. MCIWEST

MCIWEST Member

110 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think the main point is "ACCOUNTABILITY" pull your weight or you will be looking for a job! It’s easy to say backup player but Edwards was bought in as a starter and was paid starter money…How often do we hear a player’s contract is the reason why clubs don’t cut a player because of?
  11. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

951 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Well said. Sometimes I think our fan base has too much of a "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality. Wanting to be like everyone else all the time.

Wasn't there an overtime game where Mike Smith went for it on like 4th and 1 on his own 30, and Atlanta got stuffed, then subsequently lost the game on the next series? Imagine if JG pulled a move like that...
  12. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    He wasn't a significant player. He was a back up and not a ver good one. Really wasn't that big of a deal
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,762 Messages
    674 Likes Received

Exactly.

They cut a back up.

Big whoop.

Teams do that pretty much every week in the NFL.
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,178 Messages
    410 Likes Received

And if the argument persists that ATL paid him to be a starter, well folks that falls on the GM/Owner/Coaches for mis-evaluating him as a player.
  15. Idgit

28,647 Messages
    4,524 Likes Received
    Well, you're not going to cut one of your all pros. He was a recent addition and a big money FA contract, and they obviously timed cutting him with the loss to make a point.

It isn't that big a deal, but it was a nicely placed reminder to the team that nobody's safe. Other good coaches have been known to do similar things to players for minor offenses, like sleeping in a tape session.
  16. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,834 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Wake up call? Reading way too much into this move after just one loss on the season.
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,170 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Somewhere Marc Columbo is smiling. :)