1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fanspeak Mock 4/23

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by basstapp, Apr 23, 2014.

1. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I went away from forcing a D-line pick in the first round and drafted the BPA. I think Dix steps in and solidifies our secondary.

There is a lot of depth in the draft for the D-line so I took Easley (1st rounder if it wasn't for his injury) a DE in Trent Murphy (did a fantastic job in rushing the passer).

Not sure how far Brandon Thomas drops because of injury, but if he is available in the 4th I grab him no problem and red shirt him.

I take a 4 year player in Kevin Norwood who is a grinder and does everything you ask. One of the better route runners in the draft, has average speed, and is a consistent blocker. I think he is a Patrick Crayton type of player.

The only player I regret taking in this draft is Connor Shaw. I could have taken Matt Patchan, but I didn't. Overall I think that our defense fills some major holes and we have a lot of upside going into next year with Thomas on the Line.

16 S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX
    ALABAMA

47 DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
    FLORIDA

78 DE TRENT MURPHY
    STANFORD

G BRANDON THOMAS
    CLEMSON

WR KEVIN NORWOOD
    ALABAMA

QB CONNOR SHAW
    SOUTH CAROLINA

DE AARON LYNCH
    USF

FB TREY MILLARD
    OKLAHOMA

G ZACH FULTON
    TENNESSEE

OT DONALD HAWKINS
    TEXAS

DT KEN BISHOP
    NORTHERN ILLINOIS
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,914 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I'd be okay with your draft but I'd prefer a guard/OT sandwiched between two d-linemen in the top three rounds.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,130 Messages
    5,432 Likes Received
    Decent draft, although I think they prefer Ward over Dix and could trade down in the 1st or up in the 2nd to get him.

I keep see Zach Fulton is mock after mock and I can't figure out why.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,130 Messages
    5,432 Likes Received
    Yes, at this point they almost have to get a Guard that can be ready as a backup this year. They have Zero depth at the position.
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,914 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Yup! He needs to push for a starting job or be a solid backup at guard or tackle.

I think the first three picks should be lineman unless one of the premier WRs or LBs falls in the 1st or 2nd.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Solid draft with a lot of guys that particular fanspeak list underrates.
    Actually a very reasonable choice in Connor Shaw.
    He is a very capable long-term NFL back up and that's what you are drafting in that area.
    I like that he is a similar athlete to Romo so can run the same offensive principles.
    Doesn't have body to withstand 16 games but is the kind of guy who could play well in limited time and eventually earn someone overpaying him to be a starter.
    Not exactly Matt Schaub but that type of guy who can be great if not exposed to defenses long-term.

Disagree mightily with thoughts above about OG. You take them if they are there but you darn sure don't reach for one.
    Dallas has to have another OG on the roster by opening week but we are a long ways off from that.
    There will cuts from other teams and are free agents still available including Brian Waters.
    You don't panic to fill a 3rd OG role.
    If anything you've drafted Thomas too high.
    He was a late 2nd-high 4th round guy before injury.
    He's probably late 5th to early 7th now.
    Would love to get him with our first 7th and would support him in the 6th.
    Before then it is too much risk for zero immediate gain.
    The issue others see is that drafting Thomas doesn't help you fill that role this year.
    While that is fair it isn't good roster planning to force one out of this draft class.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,463 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    Can't see a 1st round safety.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Dix won't be there and you are very likely right.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,111 Messages
    4,438 Likes Received
    I would say they pick him because he is the best OG left on their rankings when they get to a spot. Just a guess.
  10. basstapp

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I also saw Thomas as a 2nd rounder - I don't think I ever saw him that low. I could be wrong though. Fulton is just a massive lineman. Plays with a ton of power, but struggles in run blocking. I think he is a low risk draft pick with some ceiling if we can work on his technique.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    I have pretty consistently struggled to find interior guys of value in these mocks and when I do I have to go OC.
    Not a great year for those guys.
    A traded down that nets something in round 3 would be very helpful in that regard.

If we were to perfectly craft a draft to fit our needs Sua-Filo or Sankey would fall to 47 or Gabe Jackson in round 3.
    But most mocks place those guys 10-20 picks out of range for us.
    Traditionally OGs fall (though not last year) and if they in 2014 we may be looking at an answer in the above scenarios.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,111 Messages
    4,438 Likes Received
    There is a name or two I usually find in the 7th if I need a OG. Beyond on those couple of names I don't know much about the others. If they are gone and I just want to take an OG...I will just pick whoever is highest on the rankings and hope for the best lol.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    CBS currently ranks him round 6-7.
    Drafttek had him rated in the 70s before injury and how he is 231.
    http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Offensive-Guards-2014-Draft.asp
  14. basstapp

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
  15. basstapp

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Here is my new fanspeak mocked based on the discussion above. Skipped QB because I'm guessing that Weeden is going to be the one backing up Romo. I think Orton gets released.

OLB ANTHONY BARR
    UCLA

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
    FLORIDA

G TRAI TURNER
    LSU

DE KAREEM MARTIN
    NORTH CAROLINA

CB AARON COLVIN
    OKLAHOMA

DE AARON LYNCH
    USF