1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Farewell, Colonel Potter

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by bbgun, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Harry Morgan, who played Col. Potter on M*A*S*H, dies at 96

Posted: 12:41 PM, December 7, 2011

LOS ANGELES – Actor Harry Morgan, who played gruff but lovable Colonel Potter on the long-running television series M*A*S*H, died Wednesday at 96 at his Los Angeles home, the New York Times reported.

Morgan, who also played Officer Bill Gannon on the popular late-60s show "Dragnet," had a prolific acting career, appearing in more than 100 movies.

He joined M*A*S*H in its fourth season (1975-76) as tough but caring Colonel Sherman T. Potter, always loyal to his wife and his horse, and won an Emmy in 1980. He stayed with the show until it went off the air in 1983.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainme...l_potter_pubG8kWNRvgYtAjDpjmA8L#ixzz1fsKggbUZ
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    R.I.P. Harry. He was always great in M*A*S*H.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,388 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    One of the funniest TV Characters ever.
  4. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,704 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    One of my favorite shows of all time.

Loved his character and also liked when he came on as a different General while Henry Blake was still the commanding officer. Harry played a General that was racist and looney...that episode was funny.

[IMG]
  6. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Mule fritters!

Rest in peace, Harry. Thanks for all the laughs. :)
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was regular Army, but he wasn't a loon like Flagg or a rat like Burns. Nice change from Henry Blake.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

59,704 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Reminds me...the other day I caught the episode of mash where Hawkeye goes to try and see Trapper before he got on the plane to leave. Misses him so he picks up BJ and when they get back they get soused. But one of the funniest lines ever on MASH was when BJ first meets Frank and calls him ferret face. :laugh1:
  9. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    That was the secret to how they stayed on the air so long. When one person would leave, rather than trying to replace them with someone like them (see Don Knotts leaving the Andy Griffith Show to be replaced by Jack Burns) they would replace them with someone very different. For example, Larry Linville was replaced by David Ogden Stiers. This let them open up a whole new set of possible story lines and kept the show fresh much longer than it otherwise would have.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    :( RIP to one of my favorite actors
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [youtube]zXEJb6Ezebo[/youtube]

:laugh1:
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm know I'm in the minority on this, but I was never really a MASH fan. :cool:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,704 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Leave this thread now and never come back. :p:
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,928 Messages
    3,872 Likes Received
    Sam I Am, why don't you shut your mouth and let that ugly cut under your nose heal!
  15. Hostile

118,388 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    I don't know why, but it seems kind of fitting to me that he died on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Given that his character was a WWI and WWII veteran.
  16. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,632 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Sad news. Loved him on MASH. RIP :(
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,704 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    [youtube]vhagzSEXzic[/youtube]

[youtube]4jeSc7MOlus[/youtube]

[youtube]FevVfmog4JA[/youtube]
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Harry had a thousand stories. That of course comes from appearing in over 100 movies, and probably 10,000 television programs," M*A*S*H executive producer Ken Levine wrote, paying tribute to Morgan on his blog on Wednesday. "Harry was very much like Colonel Potter. He raised horses, and in fact, in the final episode when he says goodbye to Sophie, that really was one of Harry's horses. The picture on Potter's desk was of Harry's real wife, Eileen. And the only difference in personalities between Harry and Sherman is that Harry held his liquor better."
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I agree. One of the guys that everybody had a kind of soft spot for. I remember him in Dragnet before Mash. He was in one of my very favorite movies as well, Support Your Local Sheriff. He played in a bunch of stuff.

Gonna miss him.

RIP Henry Morgan.
  20. Hostile

118,388 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    My favorite Colonel Potter scene was one where everyone in camp was sick. He goes to talk to Igor and tell him the only way to get over it is to get it out of his head. Igor proceeds to explain what his head and stomach are doing and Potter is desperately trying not to yack. Finally he interrupts Igor in mid sentence and it ends like this.

Potter: "Private."

Igor: "Sir?"

Potter: "Move, move over."

That scene always killed me.