1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fastest Movies to $300 Million

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by DallasEast, Jul 28, 2008.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,019 Messages
    1,544 Likes Received
    Looky, looky at who's no.1:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/Fastest300.php

You can't stop it. You can only hope to contain it. ;)

It's too damn popular. My only question is does it have the staying power to finally dethrone Titanic for all-time box office in a single year? I really wish one of the latest Star Wars movies had accomplished the trick, but I'll take any movie doing so at this stage.
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I think it can do it. I mean, $75 million in its second weekend? That's insane.

I'm somewhat pleased the latest Star Wars movies didn't break it. They were bad movies. Say what you want about Titanic, but the characters at least had some life to them.
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,019 Messages
    1,544 Likes Received
    I won't even argue that Titanic is a much more dramatic movie compared to Star Wars chapters I through III. I just can't stand the movie. Loved The Terminator, T2, and The Abyss from James Cameron, but couldn't stand his Oscar-fest masterpiece. Even laughed at DiCarpio freezing over at the end. Sadistic? Yes, but it's the truth.
  4. DemonBlood

DemonBlood Member

901 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Titanic was one of the most unintentional funniest movies of all time.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,773 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    It's all about the staying power. Titanic made $32MM in it's 11th weekend. I don't think TDK can match that sort of staying power. But then again, it took Titanic 8 weeks to match what TDK did in 10 days.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It helps that there is no competition out right now just the way movie studios like it. The days of 3 or 4 movies opening on the same weekend are long gone.
  7. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Yeah it would have been pretty stupid for any other movie to open on the same weekend as TDK, definitely would be a poor business decision.
  8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,150 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Mamma Mia did fine opening up against it. Though it's a completely different kind of movie, one that I probably won't see.

It will have some competition this weekend with the new Mummy film. It'll be interesting to see if it can stay on top. It'll probably get 30-40 million this weekend. Not sure that'll be enough. Still, after the Mummy there's not much for awhile.

It may have a shot at the domestic box office, but not the worldwide one that Titanic destroyed.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,251 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    SW 1-3 were horrible. Very disappointed.
    I agree.

Agree on Titanic too.

Why? curious...

Interesing... that is something how that plays out.
  10. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It should zoom past $400 million by early next week and end up as the second film to break the $500 million domestic box office mark. But I do not think it has the staying power of Titanic. The industry is just not the same.

When Titanic came out the Internet was in its infancy, VHS was still the format of choice, and movies weren't available at Blockbuster or Wal-Mart six months after their release date for a fraction of the ticket price. You see fewer and fewer movies stay in the weekend top 10 after eight weeks. Titanic was number one for 15 straight weeks; that just doesn't happen. Today movies see a 50% drop in ticket sales every weekend; Titanic went UP 30% in its second weekend and stayed around the same number every weekend for the next two months. That is crazy consistency.
  11. jjalldaway21

jjalldaway21 New Member

43 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't forget that back then movie tickets were much cheaper than it is now.
  12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,150 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    It helps that there was absolutely nothing for it to go against with January and Feb. being horrible movie months. If the Dark Knight opened in late December, who knows.
  13. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Nice and spot-on take. I will say that the "there's nothing going against it" argument just doesn't wash. This film is doing insane business and there are people seeing it over and over again. That speaks towards the films quality as well as the very positive word of mouth.
  14. REDVOLUTION

23,251 Messages
    511 Likes Received

I disagree with both of you. While you both make valid points.

The fact that Heath's death is also marketing the film is a big reason why its got extra ummph!! Sad but true. We see it all the time... people die and their stock goes up.

To not acknowledge the Heath Tragedy factor that would be remiss.

Titanic did have that going for it.
  15. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With that said, I do not believe TDK will beat TITANIC, but I do believe it would have done well regardless of Heath's death. The buzz over his Joker was strong well before he died. Plus, his death isn't getting people to see it over and over again. Did HL dying affect TDK's BO? Yes, certainly. But as I said, this film was going to do well anyway.

When it's all said and done, I think it'll be #2.
  16. REDVOLUTION

23,251 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Agreed. It would have.

Agreed. It did.

Your post kind of makes my point.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,924 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    I'd like to see it topple Titanic but I don't know if it will really have a shot to do it. It's doing great now but it's bound to start slowing down more and more over the next couple of weeks and it will wind up falling probably 100 or more million short.
  18. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another factor is that Titanic really didn't have any competition for the first five months of its release. Only five movies, from its Christmas release through May 1998, grossed over $50 million. That's pathetic. It made sick money every week because that was literally the only thing worth seeing for the better part of six months. TDK has to go up against surefire $100 grossing films Mummy 3, Tropic Thunder, Stars Wars (animated), and that's just over the next few weeks.

I have never seen a movie with this much hype have this much positive press from critics AND viewers after the fact. There will be a lot of repeat business. The key is if people will continue going to see it two and three months out and continue driving money their way, or decide, "You know, it'll come out on DVD around Christmas..." and just wait it out for their 3rd or 4th viewing. With Titanic, you had preteenage girls buying tickets six months after its initial release for the 7th, 8th, 9th, etc. time. The demographic is a bit different, but I don't think we'll be seeing Batman / comic book fans flocking to this in October/November with Bond 2/Harry Potter 6 severely cutting the competition.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,305 Messages
    3,615 Likes Received
    Valid point. But I'm making much more than I did back then too.
  20. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received