1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fat Alabamians Must Pay for "Free" Insurance

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by masomenos, Aug 21, 2008.

1. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This reminds me of the story that was posted a while back about Japan enacting a law that would fine people for being fat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26337794/

2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    This is the problem with providing anything for 'free'. It allows for the provider to dictate how you live your life.

I'm no fan of obesity, but if someone is going to do that to themselves, so be it. They should have been paying for their own insurance in the first place.

This is a minute example of what socialized medicine would look like in this country.
  3. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly! If folks think healthcare is expensive now wait until they see how much more it will cost when it's free! And I would almost guarantee the the quality will get worse if the gov't controls it, many other things the gov't has taken control of are disasters, public education for one.:(
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Of course it would be worse.
    What makes a person excell at his job? The idea that he'll still be wallowing in a pool of other mediocre 'employees'? Or the promise of reward for doing more than the next guy?

I don't want free health care. I'd rather earn it. I wasn't born with the 'right' to something that wouldn't even if exist if a privileged and determined few hadn't extended themselves beyond casual efforts. I'll gladly pay.
  5. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I am on the fence with this issue. I have been lucky enough to have had jobs that supplied medical insurance. However, there are many people in this country that do not have that luxury. I think a starting point is to look into why a hospital charges $12 for a single tylenol. Stuff like that is what makes health care so high.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm not, in regards to having Government controlled health care.
    I'm all for clamping down on abuses, like some of the unecessary costs some doctors use to bloat their charges, that's a given, but I truly do not want the government handing me a damned thing. Because once it's paying, it's dictating your life.

This country is not like others who do have Socialized Healthcare. We have far too many other factors involved to think we can just mimic the systems of other nations. Our legal system is different, our ideal's about right's, which lead to endless lawsuits, the size of our population and our immigration status. And frankly, our apathy. The only time an issue becomes an issue is when it's highlighted and politicized. To put forth a system that enables a person to not have to work harder to obtain something is just heading down a bad path and we're already headed that way, with the spoils we do have.

Yes, 50 million are without health insurance. In a country of 300 million, I'd say we're doing pretty good on that front. The answer isn't just hand it out for those who can't cope. It's to examine the individual and make a judgement based on that. Why is an individual without health care? A blanket policy that will effect over roughly 85% to accomodate 15% is lousy.

For kid's, yes. For the debilitated, I'll put my tax dollar forward for that. For completely healthy adults? Not on your life.
  7. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fat people should have to pay...if their lifestyle is on the states dime. They should take some responsibility for their bad habits.
    I dont know about Alabama but I was stationed in San Antonio about 10 years ago and have been to La. and Miss. and I was always amazed by the immense size of the people back then.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,751 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    So the government will charge people for being fat, but it'll pay for their abortions.

Interesting.
  9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dont know, does the state of Alabama pay for abortions? Do other states that do pay for abortion require obese state employees to offset some costs for their healthcare? I know that we all make choices and shouldnt burdeon others with our bad habits.
  10. ScipioCowboy

14,751 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    You've missed my point. My question is, why is the government willing to pay for certain types of mistakes while ignoring others? Could it be that the abortion lobby is simply stronger?

If that's the case, does coverage of certain health problems become a political issue in which we allow lobbies to dictate the health problems that receive coverage and those that do not receive coverage?

So you would generally oppose publicly funded abortions. Nice to know.
  11. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That $8.00 nectarine is looking better all the time.
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was visiting my dad in the hospital about a month ago and on the drive over there I managed to cut my hand on something. It wasn't bad but I wanted to get a band aid on it and didn't have any in my car. So when I got to the hospital I asked one of the nurses if I could have a band aid and they told me "No, since you're not a patient it wouldn't be covered for us by your insurance." One lousy band aid.
  13. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And you have missed my point too..examine the situation based on the situation. The subject is concerning the State Government of Alabama not the policy of government in general.
    If you take that position we could discuss the inequality of government expenditures all day. So..does Alabama subsidize abortion?

And yes..although I am pro choice with the exception of the circumstances I have previously noted I am opposed to government subsidized abortions.
  14. ScipioCowboy

14,751 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    Once again, your question is irrelevant for purposes of my argument.

I'm examining an issue associated with free health care at the state level, and extrapolating potential issues that could arise when free health care is made universal at the national level.

The State of Alabama is not the only governmental entity currently grappling with the issues of obesity and how an individual's level of personal responsibility in contracting a certain health condition should impact his access to "free" and "universal" health care. For example, Japan is the in process of denying the full range of universal health care to its overweight citizens.

I'm simply wondering what weight (excuse the pun) personal responsibility would carry in a possible US universal health system. Clearly, the prospect of federally-subsidized abortions has been hotly debated, and 99 percent of pregnancies are entirely issues of personal responsibility. Would the full benefits of "free" health care only be available to those health conditions with the largest, most influential lobby groups?