1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Favorite Cowboys/Redskins memory

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tnewsome30, Dec 28, 2012.

1. tnewsome30

tnewsome30 New Member

9 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What is your favorite Cowboys/Redskins game? I'm not quite old enough to remember the '79 game. My favorite game was a Monday night game in I believe '83. It was the season opener at RFK. The Cowboys were down 28-3 at the half and came back to win. Danny White was on fire in that 2nd half. Hopefully we'll have more of the same on Sunday.
  2. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,968 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    This is more of a nostalgia thing that truly an on-field memory, but here goes: My dad was a lifelong Redskins fan and wanted me to follow in his footsteps. My mom had made these Redskins collages based off old Sports Illustrated pictures and hung those on my bedroom walls when I was real little. But I didn't really take a liking to football until I was 8, when a lot of my friends were watching avidly. All of whom were Cowboys fans.

Naturally, I chose the Cowboys, probably in part to poke at my pops a little. I've been squarely on the bandwagon ever since.

The funny thing is my parents used to record some of the Redskins games, and one of the tapes had gotten mixed in with my collection of Cowboys games. It was simply marked "92 REDSKINS." I put it in one day, wanting to watch a game, even if it wasn't Cowboys.

But what do I see when the tape starts? Aikman interviewing at the start of a MNF broadcast -- the Cowboys-Redskins game that opened the 1992 season and, in turn, opened the Cowboys' dynasty. I must have re-watched this game 20 times over the years.

From Harper's circus catch to the blocked punt, that game now holds a special place in my heart, even though I never even watched it live.
  3. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,146 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Living in Philly I usually don't get the Cowboys games because the Eagles are the home team. In 79 the Eagles pushed the Cowboys game off of TV here. The Eagles must have finished early so they went to the Cowboys game and I was able to watch the end of the game. Little did I know at the time that my hero, Roger Staubach, would be playing in his last regular season game. Here I am glued to the tv as he pulls off the miracle and knocks the Skins out of the playoffs. Probably my favorite memory of beating the Skins.
  4. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

964 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    The entire Redskin team showing up to Dallas in military-style fatigues before a crucial game to determine the NFC East winner the second to last week of the 1983 season. They had lost a huge halftime lead to them earlier in the season - but the outcome of this game was never in question.
  5. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is easy for me...1979,Staubachs last comeback.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    no doubt 79. everything was on the line lose and we likely do not make the post season, win and we take the division. Not to mentioned it was yet another exciting comeback from Roger and the Cowboys.

After Sunday Nights game I hope I can look back and say 2012 was my favorite.
  7. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    One of my favorite was Aikman to Ismael in Overtime - don't remember the year.
  8. Everson24

Everson24 Well-Known Member

1,170 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    The 1974 Clint Longley game was my favorite Thanksgiving day memory but my favorite Cowboys Redskins memory is that 1983 opening game on MNF. I had such high hopes for that team but we were being competly dominated 23-3 by the Redskins in the first half. That was the game where Tony Dorsett got caught from behind by Darrell Green. It was also the MNF game that got Howard Cosell fired when he mad the statement referring to Alvin Garrett "That little monkey gets loose doesn't he?" (In fact I was thinking the exact same thing as Howard was long before he said it because we simply could not cover Alvin Garrett).

The second half was totally different. Our defense made adjustments and dominated. Tony Hill had two great long TD catches and we even picked off a couple of Theisman passes at the end to seal the game. I was so pumped after that game and we ended up winning our next six games before losing on MNF to the Raiders. The 1983 season ended with a first round playoff loss to the Rams but there were some really exciting games played that season but none as good as that 31-30 victory.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,178 Messages
    4,613 Likes Received
    Staubach hits Hill for the winning TD for a great comeback win in Wash.
  10. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Beating the undefeated Redskins in RFK in 1991.
  11. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Clint getting it done; and then meeting some of his family years later.
  12. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,489 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    My early onset Alzheimer's clouds my memories but I remember a game against the Skins, I am fairly sure Monday night, we had our blue jersey's, I think Dorsett was playing, we got down early but came back to win.

Followed closely by the Aikman to Rocket OT bomb.

Followed closely by every rerun of Joe Theismann getting his leg broken. It was against the Giants, but the Cowboys were there in spirit...
  13. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I saw when Theismann broke his leg vs NY, never watched a replay of that. Always turn my head as to not see it. Never cared for Theismann but that was about as nasty of a break as I have seen and do not care to see it again.
  14. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,686 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    I was born early 80's so I missed out a lot of the dodger vs skins games. But the one that comes to mind for me is the game Troy aikman went off against the skins winning in overtime and his 5 td passes.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    All of these!

But actually whenever we beat them its AWESOME! All wins over the Skins are my favorites!
  16. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,489 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Honestly, I cannot stand to watch it either, but it seemed like a sentiment many would appreciate 'round these parts...
  17. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    1979 followed by 1974.
  18. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    I think that was the only time that I ever saw LT show compassion on the field.
  19. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I love seeing any Redskin QB beat up and sacked but that was just nasty.

I can recall when Chris Hanburger lifted Meredith off the ground and drilled him into the turf. Meredith went into that game with broken ribs and claims he hollered to Hanburger "No" But Hanburger drilled him into the turf anyways. Meredith was taken to the hospital afterwards
  20. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Two stick out to me. The 1991 game where we screwed up their undefeated season I was in High School and a die hard Cowboys fan. My best friend was a Redskins fan. He was talking so much smack up to that point. I came to school in my Cowboys Jersey and talked even more smack the next day. I was on top of the world that day.

The other one was 2004 when Patrick Crayton beat Sean Taylor for the game winning TD. I was so tired of hearing how ST was better than RW (back when he was good) that was able to laugh at all the DC skins fans the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pekJoqMICYM