1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Favorite "off beat" TV show

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyWay, May 19, 2009.

1. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Whats your favorite show that you don't really like people to know you watch because its not cool. I'm talking about a show that when you hear the wife start walking into the room, you flip the channel. I'm not talking about prime time tv here.

I have two

"HouseHunters" and "Gardening by the yard".

Gardening by the yard is at least educational, so I can't knock it too much. Househunters is somewhat stupid, it doesn't inform or entertain...yet, I can't go past it when I see its on.

What are yours?
  2. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't think women have that issue, being embarrassed by the TV they watch. Women will watch all those shows! :D

I love the shows like that, even if they are a little cheesy. Like Take Home Handyman, Moving Up and Verminators.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,486 Messages
    5,996 Likes Received
    Antiques road show? I watch that on occasion but that might be the only off beat type of thing I watch.

Now the wife will watch cooking shows sometimes and I will stay in the room but rarely pay attention...well except for the original (japanese) Iron Chefs show...that one always was fun to watch.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I love the original Iron Chef. The food was nasty looking but the dubbing killed me.:laugh2:
  5. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,686 Likes Received
    Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

Especially if Paige Hemmis is one of the designers.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

53,998 Messages
    6,997 Likes Received
    Parental Control
  7. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Ninja Warrior
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I used to watch the O.C.

but that was only like a few episodes
  9. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I love that show so much!!
  10. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Hells Kitchen. Gordon needs his mouth washed out with soap but I watch it just to hear him get bleeped.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    Kathy Griffin - Life on the D-List
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm sure it's written in to their contracts they can't touch him but I'm shocked no one has beaten the crap out of him. :laugh2:
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,469 Messages
    2,611 Likes Received
    Housewives of Orange County, Americas top chef, VH1 reality shows, Girls next door.
  14. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    best....show....ever.....
  15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    the only housewifes that are actually hot
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,469 Messages
    2,611 Likes Received
    Yeah I wont even give New York and Atlanta editions the time of day for this very reason.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,551 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    My wife only likes the NYC one. The others ones she said are boring garbage for the most part. She refers to the OC one as "nothing but dumb blondes shopping all day". She did watch the Atlanta one for awhile.
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    I like the NYC version. At least it looks like they actually work. I never got into the OC version. ATL is must-see trainwreck TV. The ATL folks are all fakers and they do some of the most foolish stuff and yet I couldn't stop watching it.

I'm debating the New Jersey series. Watched the series premiere and it seems to be playing up the New Jersey Italian thing.

There's supposed to be a Dallas version coming.
  19. dcdallaschick

dcdallaschick Member

312 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No kidding about the dubbing. I still catch it at night on Fine Living Network from time to time...even though I'm pretty sure I've seen them all by now. I also can't take the movie "Backdraft" seriously any more, since Iron Chef uses the same music for soundtrack.

As for the food, the Japanese have a relationship with meat-flavored gelatin and fermented soybeans that will never make sense to me. My favorite episode is the one with natto as the theme ingredient. They talk the whole show about how clever the chefs have to be to mask the nasty smell/stickiness/sliminess/taste in their dishes...which may cause the observer to wonder why they eat it at all. A friend of mine who married a Japanese girl says they have an understanding that he's just not going to be home if she wants to have natto that day.
  20. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,348 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

That's exactly the show I was going to list. The commentary on that show is fantastic!

I also have watched "Man vs. Food" from time to time and find it to be a guilty pleasure.