1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

FB and Blocking TE

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Dec 5, 2012.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,723 Messages
    12,456 Likes Received
    I was watching some Alabama game footage. They often use their DT Jesse Williams as a FB. Usually, when teams do this it seems like a Gimmick; however, Williams appears to be well coached in this role.

The Cowboys used Josh Brent and Montrae Holland in this role last year; however, they didn’t look overly prepared. My guess is that they didn’t get very many practice reps at this position.

After watching some Alabama footage, I was watching some footage of Louisville Center Mario Benavides. He is a good college player. He has good quickness, good strength for his size and plays with good leverage; however, he looks too small for the NFL. He is listed at 6-4, 284. In an interview, he said that he got his weight up over 300 lbs in the past but felt too sluggish and his knees hurt too much.

If a player like Benavides proves to be too small to play OL in the NFL, could he be trained as a Full Time FB/TE? In past drafts, there have been some smallish Olinemen that ran sub 5.0 forties while some FBs and Blocking-TE(s) didn’t break the 5.0 mark.

It seems like there are probably players similar to Benavides that go undrafted every year. A lot of these players probably bulk up as much as possible prior to the draft. Their speed/agility measurements are probably slower than if they had kept their weight down to the lower end of their range.

A lot of NFL FBs and Blocking TEs just run very simple pass routes. They usually only get the ball if they're wide open in the flat or on a very short route.

2. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I saw video where John Jenkins, DT at Georgia--6'3",358 lbs., was used as a RB/FB in Junior College and/or high school. He was smaller then but not that much. Can you say "The Refrigerator".