1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FB Cody Johnson - Texas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Nov 26, 2011.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Fiametta has proven in just a few games this season what a good lead-blocking FB can do for our running game. The blocking deficiencies of our interior OL were covered up with him in there, and our RBs benefitted from the resulting running lanes.

If Fiametta is unable to return next season, Cody Johnson would be an ideal fit for us at FB. He is a sturdy, powerful runner, with above average lead-blocking skills. He will open up running lanes and can pick up the tough 2-3 yards when you need them. I would love to see the Cowboys draft him in the 5th round.
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'll admit my opinion is only based on 1 game, but I watched him against Iowa State and he had one carry on 4th and short. Tip toed up to the line and was tackled for no gain.

Just left a bad impression and not what I'd want to see out of a FB, but I'll admit it could have just been the situation and not a reflection of his performance throughout the year.

Thought Fozzy Whitaker looked way better if I was looking at a back from Texas. His injury certainly leaves his future up in the air though.
  3. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So would I, but you can discount that a bit because I'm a Horns fan...
  4. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    So am I, Silverbear. I think Cody will make a good NFL FB, and 5th round sounds about right for his draft position.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Just say no to players from Texas University.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I don't see it. He is not an average blocker. Part of that is that he is very inexperienced at doing it. He is a running back in a fullbacks body.

I have seen him tiptoe to the line carrying the ball a few times during his tenure at Texas. I still think he could be a decent goal line back, but there are times where he should have done better. I don't think he will making a good, consistent lead blocker.
  7. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I think most of the drafting sites will disagree with you. He's rated #2 FB on nfldraftcountdown,com, and the #3 FB on walterfootball and nfldraftscout.com. His lead-blocking is his strength. He's got the size and power to be a starting FB for an NFL team.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    one thing for certain this time: stop asking for the moon and make the PRIME requirement that he be a top blocker. That is the reason we ended up with Cricket and the others; Red Ball or whoever kept wanting it all instead of realizing that a crushing FB blocker IS MORE IMPORTANT then being able to be a good pass catching FB. Instead they put more emphasis on that then blocking capability. Just plain STUPID. Find the best blockers; LEAD Blockers. THEN see if they have decent hands.
  9. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I dont know about tiptoeing to the line. I watched him at least 5 times against A&M get hit behind the line of scrimmage and push all 11 defensive players back at least 5 yds. on a side note, I hope they never stop reaching for the moon and trying to improve all positions.
  10. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You'd make a great GM, with that kind of ridiculous thinking...

I'd take Justin Blalock, Lyle Sendlein or Jonathon Scott to beef up our offensive line...

I'd take Colt McCoy to back up Romo...

We don't need a running back, but Jamaal Charles is a stud... at fullback, I'd be real happy if we had Ahmard Hall to step in for Fiammetta...

As for DBs, well, that's really a long list, I'm sure I'll miss somebody... you've got (in no particular order) Aaron Ross, Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, Quentin Jammer, Earl Thomas, Cedric Griffin, Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown... are you seriously suggesting that the Boys couldn't find a place for one or two of them??

At WR, Jordan Shipley is an effective slot receiver.. .at TE, Bo Scaife is a solid pro, as is Jermichael Finley...

On the DL, you've got Casey Hampton, though he's getting old he's had a good NFL career... you've got Cory Redding and Shaun Rogers too...

At LB, there's Derrick Johnson, Brian Orakpo and Sam Acho...

And this year, the Horns will send DL Kheeston Randall, LB Keenan Robinson and Sam Acho to the NFL, all of whom will likely be off the board in the first 100 picks... any one of them would look good in a Cowboys uniform...

In fact, you could build the nucleus of your team with just Longhorns players, and that team would likely be a solid playoff contender...

For team that supposedly puts out "soft players", they sure do have a lot of guys doing well in the NFL... if you wouldn't want any of them, I can only assume that you're an Aggie, or a Sooner, which of course means your judgement isn't worth spit...

:D
  11. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,846 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Chad Diehl, 6-2, 265, is a monster. I've watched a lot of Clemson football, and I can't say I remember him catching or running the ball once, but he absolutely mashes guys as a lead blocker. He is little bit taller than the typical FB.

I haven't seen Texas play, but Cody has the perfect FB build and everything I read says he's a great blocker.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    6-2 is not that much taller; so if he can get it done big deal.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    NFL draft scout has him as the #1 FB prospect with 4.6 - 4.85 speed and have him projected for the 5th round.

If the guy can run out to the corner and eliminate LBs I'd be happy to have him on board.

If you can get good production out of a 5th rounder you have done well in the draft.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    I like you, silverbear. You're a great guy, but...

No thanks. :D
  15. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL... I am perfectly serious about that... he has done a fine job with a lousy offense up in Cleveland... in his first 19 games as a pro, he has completed nearly 60 per cent of his passes, and has more TDs than ints... despite being sacked 49 times in those 19 games... he's also run for 321 yards in those games (on 79 carries), which demonstrates his mobility (something useful in backup quarterback)...

How many rookie quarterbacks do you know who have fewer ints than games played?? That's a tribute to his good decision making...

All this in spite of having no running game (the Browns are averaging 97 yards per game rushing, 29th in the league, averaging 3.6 yards per carry, 31st in the league...

And look at the receiving corps he's throwing to-- Greg Little, Benjamin Watson, Josh Cribbs, Mohamed Massaquoi, Evan Moore, the list goes on... but if you look at the receiving stats, Colt has spread the ball around extremely well, with 11 different receivers catching 11 passes or more...

Think about that, in an average game, McCoy completes passes to 11 different receivers...

So, to sum up, Colt has proven to be an intelligent quarterback who sees the field well, spreads the ball around, and has good mobility when evading the rush... and once again, he doesn't get any help from his running game, his offensive line doesn't pass protect to him, and he doesn't have a single Pro Bowl caliber receiver...

I see all that, and I wonder what he could do with a good offense... there would be a learning curve if he came to the Boys, since he's working in a West Coast offense, but I think he could fit well into their system...
  16. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,846 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That's why I said he's a "little bit" taller. :D I love the kid as a lead blocker and hope to see him in Dallas.

Bear, I'm with you on McCoy.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    The Bears have one starting as a DT right now. Former Texas FB. He's pretty good.
  18. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    you missed roy miller and llamar houston
  19. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    just say no to small school players.

Vincent Jackson

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

Jahri Evans

Dexter Coakley

Robert Mathis

Marques Colston

Bart Scott

Jerry Rice

Walter Payton

Kurt Warner
    Terrell Owens
    Michael Strahan
    Larry Allen

20. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Colt will not be satisfied in a backup roll. So this is a no-go. Looking at the starters around the league ... i think colt is right.