1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FB Tommy Fraser has gone from college obscurity to NFL prospect in the course of eigh

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Tommy Fraser has gone from college obscurity to NFL prospect in the course of eight months.

The fullback had a solid showing Tuesday at Coastal's Pro Day, putting himself on the radar of at least the two NFL teams in attendance, the Saints and Titans. It's a surprising rise for the 5-foot-9, 239-pounder, whose career was in a state of flux after a right hamstring injury in 2008.

However, Fraser had a productive senior campaign in 2009. Pressed into action as a ball carrier due to injuries to tailbacks Eric O'Neal and Jeremy Height, Fraser became Coastal's feature back and rushed for 671 yards and four scores. He also caught 15 passes.

Once the season ended, the Carolina Forest native hired Charlotte-based agent Robert Walker and spent weekends working out in the Queen City. Those efforts helped him post standout numbers on Tuesday:

Fraser had 28 bench press repetitions of 225 pounds, two higher than any back at the NFL combine.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.69 and 4.72 seconds, both respectable times for a player of his size.

He had a 33-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9 feet, 9 inches.

"From the scouts I got a good impression," said Fraser, an All-American last fall. "... They had some good words for me and told me they would be in contact with my agent as soon as possible. I was pretty happy."

Fraser actually started his senior season in an H-back role, where he would have been used in a variety of different ways. He is a natural receiver and showed off those skills during individual workouts directed by the scouts on Tuesday.

Fraser believes his versatility could help him land a spot in an NFL camp. He isn't likely to become the third Chanticleer ever drafted, but he boosted his chances of signing a post-draft, free agent deal with his Pro Day efforts.

"I think the biggest [challenge] is getting into a camp," Fraser said. "I feel that once I get into a camp I'll be able to prove myself and show everybody that I can play."

Also working out on Tuesday were Coastal defensive end Phillip Oboh and reserve defensive back Darius Chapman, who both exhausted their eligibility last fall, and former Chants Marrio Norman and Warren Jennings, who were seniors in 2008.

Chapman had the best workout of those four, but he rarely played during his career and wasn't asked to perform individual drills. Norman, Oboh and Jennings had pedestrian 40-yard dash times, making it unlikely any of them will sign free agent deals.

CAF meets

Coastal's athletic department is slated to move into the Adkins Fieldhouse at Brooks Stadium on June 1, athletic director Hunter Yurachek said after Tuesday's meeting of the Chanticleer Athletic Foundation Board of Directors.

"Give or take a few days," he said. "The furniture should be installed by mid-May. When the summer starts, we'll have the current weight equipment taken away and refurbished. Then they'll bring the new weight equipment in and install it. The goal is June 1 to have all our coaches in there."

The foundation, which is the athletic department's fundraising arm, took little action Tuesday, though the board did approve the use of $100,000 that will go toward new weight equipment in the fieldhouse. The current weight room has eight racks, which will be refurbished and reused, and eight new racks will be purchased with CAF funds.

The CAF is putting significant funds into the new facility, including a payment of $750,000 due to the university by June 2011 to help offset the cost of the building. Also, the foundation will pay nearly $105,000 for weight room flooring and more than $276,000 for new football lockers.

To view Hoke's CCU sports blog, "The Roost," go to TheSunNews.com.

Contact JOSH HOKE at 843-626-0318.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/03/30/1396126/horry-native-performs-well-in.html#ixzz0jicmryzd

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/03/30/1396126/horry-native-performs-well-in.html

Tommy Fraser
    Hometown:
    Myrtle Beach, S.C.

High School:
    Carolina Forest

Height / Weight:
    5-10 / 235

Position:
    FB

2008: Redshirted due to injury and retained the year of eligibility...

2007: Picked up his third letter after playing in all 11 games his junior year... Had 81 yards and five touchdowns on 24 rushes... Picked up a pair of touchdowns in the home win over Winston-Salem State... Had a season-best four carries for 24 yards, including a 15-yard rush in the home win over Chowan... Also scored at Delaware State, against VMI and at Charleston Southern...

2006: Was in 10 games his sophomore season, all off the bench, earning his second letter... Was part of the Chanticleers' short-yardage "jumbo" package... Had 22 carries for 97 yards on the year... Had season highs of eight carries and 35 yards in the home victory over Savannah State... Also developed into one of Coastal Carolina's kickoff returners, posting 10 returns for 194 yards... His best return was a 27-yard run back in the win over then-No. 3 Furman...

2005: Played 10 games as a true freshman, earning his first letter... His season-best game was against Mansfield, rushing for 22 yards, with a long of 18 yards, and his first collegiate touchdown... Was on the offensive squad that earned Big South Offensive Player of the Week honors as a team for their play in the win over James Madison... Had two kickoff returns for 24 yards during the Homecoming win against VMI...

High School: Named to the SCADA North-South All-Star Game after rushing for 491 yards and tallying 384 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns his senior season... Also had 148 tackles, good for sixth in the region, including eight tackles for loss, five sacks and an interception en route to All-State, All-Region and All-Zone accolades after leading the Panthers to the third round of the playoffs and best record in school history... Also earned The Sun News "Toast of the Coast" honors... Ran track three years for the Panthers, qualifying for the state meet in the 4x100 and 4x400 relays... Also qualified for the state tournament in weightlifting his last two seasons, capturing the state title in each season including school records of 340 pounds in the bench and 525 in the squat and was All-State all four years... Also played varsity baseball during his high school career... Earned one of the school's Scholar-Athlete awards as a junior and senior... Also in the Beta Club and Honor Roll...

Personal: Full name: Thomas Henry Fraser V... Son of Kenneth and Ana Mabry... Major is recreation and sport management.